Surprise: each of these quotes about self-care are from my new book, Sleep Rituals, which happens to be about more than getting a good night’s sleep: it’s a self-care menu. Basically, you’re asking yourself how you can help your future self and that, in itself, is a recipe for a nice, long moment of real rest. (Sweet relief)
“Rituals enhance your ability to sweeten your life through something as simple as how you prepare for sleep.” — from Sleep Rituals: 100 Practices for a Deep and Peaceful Sleep
How’s your sleep?
How do you feel when you come home and settle in for the night? Still stressed? Exhausted? Is your cup “empty” or are you fulfilled, mind open and heart receptive to this moment and everything that’s here with you?
Each ritual in my new book, Sleep Rituals: 100 Practices for a Deep and Peaceful Sleep (which is now available!) is a treat and a peace treaty, setting the stage for a divine slumber — and a healing dose of self-respect.
The intention: let’s fill your cup, not your time.
What’s a sleep ritual?
Think of anything you already do (or would like to do, or need to do) before bed — make a cup of tea, draw a bath, meditate, some light stretching — and bring your full attention and an open heart to this one moment. Be here, fully. Breathe deeply. Leave distractions behind. Choose wonder over worry and restoration over excitement.
This heightened degree of mindfulness and care-full intention is at the heart of any ritual: a deeply personal, even spiritual, practice.Tune out distractions and turn inward: that's where you'll find the real rest you're seeking. #selfcare encourage a friend
Don’t let the title fool you: Sleep Rituals is more than a bundle of rituals. This is a chance to recharge and get back to what really matters to you.
Sweet restoration. You need it.
Here are some favorite quotes about self-care that I pulled from the book, to spark hope and healing in the deepest corners of your soul.
Quotes about Self-Care from My New Book, Sleep Rituals (it’s not just about sleep)
1. “Great self-care is custom, intuitive, and kind.”
2. “Embrace your intuition, even if it’s not as crystalline as you would like it to be: this is a stepping stone toward harmony. Your subtle inner inklings offer guidance like nothing else can.”
3. “Rooting yourself in the present moment turns out to be real self-care.”“Genuine care is closely related to #compassion and is lovely when laced with patience and curiosity.” — Jennifer Williamson, Sleep Rituals #selfcare #booklove share the love
5. “One of the greatest gifts you can give yourself is your own unwavering attention.”
6. “If something needs resolution, it first needs loving attention.”
7. “This is the thing: supportive self-talk is important because you are always listening to and processing the stories you tell yourself.”
8. “It is only through your unconditional loving presence that deep healing can occur.”“Consider how every circumstance is specifically designed to bring to the surface what most needs your love.” — Jennifer Williamson, Sleep Rituals #selfcare #booklove encourage a friend
10. “When there is only love flowing through you, there is no room for anything that is not love.”
11. “Forgiveness is the practice of softening your need for a different past. Instead, you place your point of power in the present moment. It is a conscious, ongoing decision to devote more energy to loving your life, here and now, than to feeding the energy of the initial insult.”
12. “Leaning in and loosening the grip of every ‘should’ and ‘should have’ means you get to play with another perspective, here and now, and that is where the real transformation happens.”“Consider this: you are here in physical form because the universe longs to experience itself through you.” — Jennifer Williamson, Sleep Rituals #selflove #booklove tell a friend
14. “You are an inherent part of the slow dance of life.”
15. “Feeling as though you are beautifully entangled with everything is a salve and a sedative for the mind, body, and soul.”
16. “Your physical presence on earth is worthy of celebration.”
17. “Your body is always showing up for you, listening and responding to you, doing its best to give you a full experience of life. Approaching your body with that same level of commitment is a radical act of self-care…”
18. “The full moon is not the only opportunity to nurture your dreams; seeding positive change is not reserved for the new moon. Every single night offers the hope of renewal.”
Learn more about the book here or gift yourself a copy if you’re ready for your cup to be filled:
In the comments below, tell me:
Which of these quotes about self-care really resonates with where you’re at in your life right now? How can you help your future self, starting tonight?
Share the love (that’s sweet restoration) with a friend! Tell them about the book or surprise them with their own copy — we heal and we renew and we rise, together.
Enjoy the beauty sleep that comes when you honor yourself.