Reading not only broadens our horizons, expanding our mind’s capacity for reaching once distant places, but it becomes an ally in deepening our life experiences. These quotes about reading remind us that it’s not the length of life, but the depth of life that truly matters.
“No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it is not the same river and he’s not the same man.” – Heraclitus
In light of the above idea from Heraclitus, perhaps one never reads the same book twice, for it is not the same book because the reader is not the same.
Reading a good book is like going on an adventure of and in the heart, which is the best and truest journey to be on. It’s a way for the reader to apply the lessons learned in their own growth to the story, and to thus allow the story to grow into what it might be.
In observance of the first Literacy Day, then Secretary-General of the United Nations, Kofi Annan, shared a message about the important role of literacy in the world today. “Literacy unlocks the door to learning throughout life,” he said. The ability to read and write is the foundation for a healthy planet made up of active citizens who care deeply about the possibilities of the future.“Reading is like breathing in, writing is like breathing out.” – Pam Allyn Click To Tweet
Reading is enrichment, containing the qualities necessary for bringing to life the added elements of both breadth and depth, expansion and intensity. Reading gives life more life. Reading is a pathway to a better life, a richer one.
Enjoy the following quotes about reading–they speak of the genuine enjoyment that comes from the “life-giving power of literature,” as Maya Angelou describes it.
40 Quotes about Reading and the Bounty it Brings
1. “One of the joys of reading is the ability to plug into the shared wisdom of mankind.” — Ishmael Reed
2. “To acquire the habit of reading is to construct for yourself a refuge from almost all the miseries of life.” — W. Somerset Maugham
3. “To read a book for the first time is to make an acquaintance with a new friend; to read it for a second time is to meet an old one.” — Chinese SayingAlways look on the bright side of life. Otherwise it'll be too dark to read. — Unknown Click To Tweet
5. “Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body.” — Richard Steele
6. “There are books in which the footnotes, or the comments scrawled by some reader’s hand in the margin, are more interesting than the text.” — George Santayana
7. “To read without reflecting is like eating without digesting.” — Edmund Burke“An hour spent reading is one stolen from paradise.” – Thomas Wharton Click To Tweet
9. “The art of reading is in great part that of acquiring a better understanding of life from one’s encounter with it in a book.” — André Maurois
10. “There is reading, and there is reading. Reading as a means to an end, for information, to cultivate oneself; reading as an end in itself, a process, a compulsion.” — Sven Birkerts
11. “When you reread a classic you do not see more in the book than you did before; you see more in you than was there before.” — Clifton FadimanReading well is one of the great pleasures that solitude can afford you. — Harold Bloom Click To Tweet
13. “I’m old-fashioned and think that reading books is the most glorious pastime that humankind has yet devised.” — Wisława Szymborska
14. “I must say I find television very educational. The minute somebody turns it on, I go into the library and read a good book.” — Groucho Marx
15. “Keep reading. It’s one of the most marvelous adventures that anyone can have.” – Lloyd AlexanderThe wise man reads both books and life itself. — Lin Yutang Click To Tweet
17. “Nothing is worth reading that does not require an alert mind.” — Charles Dudley Warner
18. “When I look back, I am so impressed again with the life-giving power of literature. If I were a young person today, trying to gain a sense of myself in the world, I would do that again by reading, just as I did when I was young.” — Maya Angelou
19. “If you are going to get anywhere in life you have to read a lot of books.” – Roald Dahl“Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.” — Mason Cooley Click To Tweet
21. “No matter how busy you may think you are, you must find time for reading, or surrender yourself to self-chosen ignorance.” — Confucius
22. “Reading is everything. Reading makes me feel like I’ve accomplished something, learned something, become a better person. Reading makes me smarter. Reading gives me something to talk about later on. Reading is the unbelievably healthy way my attention deficit disorder medicates itself. Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it’s a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it’s a way of making contact with someone else’s imagination after a day that’s all too real. Reading is grist. Reading is bliss.” — Nora Ephron“We read to know that we are not alone.” — C.S. Lewis Click To Tweet
24. “It is what you read when you don’t have to that determines what you will be when you can’t help it.” — Oscar Wilde
25. “To learn to read is to light a fire; every syllable that is spelled out is a spark.” — Victor Hugo
26. “Reading is the sole means by which we slip, involuntarily, often helplessly, into another’s skin, another’s voice, another’s soul.” — Joyce Carol Oates“Reading brings us unknown friends.” — Honoré de Balzac Click To Tweet
28. “The man who doesn’t read has no advantage over the man who can’t read.” — Unknown
29. “The whole world opened to me when I learned to read.” – Mary Mcleod Bethune
30. “A man only learns in two ways, one by reading, and the other by association with smarter people.” – Will Rogers
31. “There is no such thing as a child who hates to read; there are only children who have not found the right book.” – Frank Serafini“Literacy is a bridge from misery to hope.” – Kofi Annan Click To Tweet
33. “Reading is a way for me to expand my mind, open my eyes, and fill up my heart.” – Oprah
34. “A writer only begins a book. A reader finishes it.” – Samuel Johnson
35. “Knowing you have something good to read before bed is among the most pleasurable of sensations.” — Vladimir Nabokov“I am a part of everything that I have read.” – Theodore Roosevelt Click To Tweet
37. “A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.” – George R. R. Martin
38. “The first thing that reading teaches us is how to be alone.” – Jonathan Franzen
39. “Acquiring literacy is an empowering process, enabling millions to enjoy access to knowledge and information which broadens horizons, increases opportunities and creates alternatives for building a better life.” – Kofi Annan
40. “It’s one of the greatest gifts that reading can give a person: easy access to peace inside, even when the world outside is in shambles.” – J. W.
Please share your thoughts, favorite quotes about reading, favorite books to return to, and any inspiring stories with me in the comments.
Share these quotes about reading with someone who would enjoy them.
Keep reading and feeding your mind.