There’s almost nothing more inspiring than a person who is comfortable in their own skin, but there’s always a story behind that confidence. Comparing yourself to others is a great way to devalue your story and disregard your dreams, but thankfully the process of getting comfortable in your own skin is available to you too. These comparison quotes are signals that we all struggle and we can all rise above the doubts that only serve to keep our magic from showing.
“Being a successful person is not necessarily defined by what you have achieved, but by what you have overcome.” — Fannie Flagg
“Living the dream” isn’t directly linked to instant fame, extreme wealth, a “perfect” body (what’s that?) or fancy clothes. To me, living the dream means doing what you do with so much love that your thoughts, words, and actions are in harmony. This can be difficult to do if we’re caught up in someone else’s dream.
I wanted to share these comparison quotes today because, quite frankly, comparing myself to others places a heavy weight on my heart. That keeps me from seeing the beauty in the way I’m living my life and the possibilities that are opening up to me because of my commitment to what matters most to me.
To be totally honest and vulnerable right now, I do get frustrated from time to time when I start thinking about how I’m not making much money doing what I love (yet) even though I know in my heart that money isn’t what it’s all about. Yes, financial abundance is convenient and frees up some new avenues but, of course, it’s not everything.
I’m not sure that anything is everything; life seems to be a constellation of many stars working together to create a recognizable pattern. There are many paths that we travel at once, and it seems to me that when all of our paths are walked with love, gratitude, and forgiveness—to the best of our ability at the time—a quiet joy is awakened with every step we take.
When joy is the recognizable pattern in our lives, that is a life well lived.
I sincerely hope these comparison quotes help you to stop comparing your private life to someone else’s public life—or their private life, for that matter. We all struggle, even if that struggle isn’t being shared publicly—do not forget that. Oh, and “should” can be a deceiving word.
20 Comparison Quotes to Honor the Light That You Keep
1. “Remember that there is nothing noble in being superior to some other man. The true nobility is in being superior to your previous self.” — W. L. Sheldon, “What to Believe: An Ethical Creed”
2. “Don’t compare your beginning to someone else’s middle.” — Jon Acuff (wording of this quote may vary)
3. “It’s almost impossible to be satisfied in your own life if you’re constantly looking at what someone else has.” — Rachael Cruze“We won’t be distracted by comparison if we are captivated with purpose.” — Bob Goff Click To Tweet
5. “The curious paradox is that when I accept myself just as I am, then I can change.” — Carl R. Rogers
6. “The reason we struggle with insecurity is because we compare our behind-the-scenes with everyone else’s highlight reel.” — Steve Furtick
7. “Personality begins where comparison leaves off. Be unique. Be memorable. Be confident. Be proud.” — Shannon L. Alder“Comparison is an act of violence against the self.” @IyanlaVanzant Click To Tweet
9. “Comparison is the thief of joy, the pillager of profits and the pickpocket of prosperity.” — Marie Forleo, in this video about how comparing yourself to others can be a small business-killer
10. “The earlier you learn that you should focus on what you have, and not obsess about what you don’t have, the happier you will be.” — Amy Poehler
11. “You alone are enough. You have nothing to prove to anybody.” — Maya Angelou“Comparison is a slippery slope to jealousy.” @DanielleLaPorte Click To Tweet
13. “Don’t compare your life to others. There’s no comparison between the sun and the moon. They shine when it’s their time.” — Unknown
14. “Owning our story and loving ourselves through that process is the bravest thing that we’ll ever do.” — Brené Brown
15. “Listen and take note: You see your life is just as real As those who document each moment Of what they see and hear and feel. In fact it’s hardly ever mentioned But the real and honest truth, Is that you tend to live much more When you don’t worry about proof.” — Erin Hanson, thepoeticunderground.com“Comparison will cause you to feel prideful or depressed, but never fulfilled.” — Lisa Bevere Click To Tweet
17. “Comparison is creative kryptonite. Stay in your own game.” – Marie Forleo
18. “Don’t compare yourself with anyone in this world… if you do so, you are insulting yourself.” — Bill Gates
19. “Comparison makes finding contentment a million times harder.” — Unknown
20. “The qualities that you admire in others, as well as the qualities that make you envious, are unexpressed parts of yourself seeking expression.” — Mastin Kipp
Please share your thoughts on comparison and contentment and following your heart, your favorite comparison quotes, words of encouragement for anyone who’s finding their way, or any inspiring stories with me in the comments.
Spread the love to a fellow human who has their own uniqueness to share with the world (and makes the world more well-rounded because of it); share these comparison quotes with them to honor the light they keep.
Don’t let comparison (ill-informed or well-informed) steal your ability to offer your gift to the world. Your gift has a whole lot to do with you.