Calling all bookworms! If you love getting lost and found in a good book, you’ll enjoy this hand-picked collection of some of the most spectacular quotes about books.
“Reading is a way for me to expand my mind, open my eyes, and fill up my heart.” – Oprah
A good book is nourishment for the soul, a vitamin for the body, a soothing balm for the mind, and adventure for the heart.
For some of us, there’s (almost) nothing better than falling in love with a great story. A good book is one that captivates our minds and captures our hearts, by planting us in the spirit of adventure.
As William Feather said, “One way to get the most out of life is to look upon it as an adventure.”Reading is dreaming with open eyes. Click To Tweet
What we bring to a story speaks greatly to what we’ll walk away with when we put the book down; our story mingles with the character’s, and so one book could hold a thousand lifetimes.
Depending on the reader, a book can be a teacher, a counselor, a friend, an escape, or home.
The following quotes about books express the passion that every bookworm understands.
I hope you enjoy these, too.
50 Quotes about Books for Every Bookworm
1. “I think books are like people, in the sense that they’ll turn up in your life when you most need them.” — Emma Thompson
2. “Books are the plane, and the train, and the road. They are the destination, and the journey. They are home.” — Anna Quindlen
3. “I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book.” — J.K. Rowling“Books are a uniquely portable magic.” — Stephen King Click To Tweet
5. “You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a good book.” – Dr. Seuss
6. “We don’t need a list of rights and wrongs, tables of dos and don’ts: we need books, time, and silence. Thou shalt not is soon forgotten, but Once upon a time lasts forever.” — Philip Pullman
7. “I cannot remember the books I’ve read any more than the meals I have eaten; even so, they have made me.” — Ralph Waldo Emerson“No two persons ever read the same book.” — Edmund Wilson Click To Tweet
9. “A book, too, can be a star, a living fire to lighten the darkness, leading out into the expanding universe.” — Madeleine L’Engle
10. “What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet or excite you. Books help us understand who we are and how we are to behave. They show us what community and friendship mean; they show us how to live and die.” — Anne Lamott“There is no friend as loyal as a book.” — Ernest Hemingway Click To Tweet
12. “My Alma mater was books, a good library… I could spend the rest of my life reading, just satisfying my curiosity.” — Malcolm X
13. “A good book is an education of the heart. It enlarges your sense of human possibility what human nature is of what happens in the world. It’s a creator of inwardness.” — Susan Sontag
14. “The worth of a book is to be measured by what you can carry away from it.” — James Bryce“I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library.” — Jorge Luis Borges Click To Tweet
16. “Picking five favorite books is like picking the five body parts you’d most like not to lose.” — Neil Gaiman
17. “A good book should leave you… slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading it.” — William Styron
18. “We don’t need to have just one favorite. We keep adding favorites. Our favorite book is always the book that speaks most directly to us at a particular stage in our lives. And our lives change. We have other favorites that give us what we most need at that particular time. But we never lose the old favorites. They’re always with us. We just sort of accumulate them.” — Lloyd Alexander“A room without books is like a body without a soul.” — Cicero Click To Tweet
20. “You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read. It was books that taught me that the things that tormented me most were the very things that connected me with all the people who were alive, or who had ever been alive.” — James Baldwin
21. “Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.” — Unknown
22. “A book is the only place in which you can examine a fragile thought without breaking it, or explore an explosive idea without fear it will go off in your face. It is one of the few havens remaining where a man’s mind can get both provocation and privacy.” — Edward P. Morgan
23. “In my view, nineteen pounds of old books are at least nineteen times as delicious as one pound of fresh caviar.” — Anne Fadiman“I owe everything I am and everything I will ever be to books.” — Gary Paulsen Click To Tweet
25. “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.” — C.S. Lewis
26. “A good book on your shelf is a friend that turns its back on you and remains a friend.” — Unknown
27. “The best of a book is not the thought which it contains, but the thought which it suggests; just as the charm of music dwells not in the tones but in the echoes of our hearts.” — Oliver Wendell Holmes“I cannot live without books.” — Thomas Jefferson Click To Tweet
29. “Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.” — Charles W. Eliot
30. “To sit alone in the lamplight with a book spread out before you, and hold intimate converse with men of unseen generations — such is a pleasure beyond compare.” — Kenko Yoshida
31. “Books serve to show a man that those original thoughts of his aren’t very new after all.” — Abraham Lincoln
32. “My test of a good novel is dreading to begin the last chapter.” — Thomas Helm“A good book has no ending.” — R.D. Cumming Click To Tweet
34. “You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.” — Paul Sweeney
35. “I suggest that the only books that influence us are those for which we are ready, and which have gone a little farther down our particular path than we have yet got ourselves.” — E.M. Forster
36. “Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures.” — Jessamyn West“A book is like a garden carried in the pocket.” — Chinese Proverb Click To Tweet
38. “Books are the compasses and telescopes and sextants and charts which other men have prepared to help us navigate the dangerous seas of human life.” — Jesse Lee Bennett
39. “My imagination doesn’t require anything more of the book than to provide a framework within which it can wander.” — Alphonse Daudet
40. “Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.” — James Russell Lowell“Books let us into their souls and lay open to us the secrets of our own.” — William Hazlitt Click To Tweet
42. “Books can be dangerous. The best ones should be labeled ‘This could change your life.'” — Helen Exley
43. “When you reread a classic you do not see more in the book than you did before; you see more in you than was there before.” — Clifton Fadiman
44. “Books are not made for furniture, but there is nothing else that so beautifully furnishes a house.” — Henry Ward Beecher“Books are lighthouses erected in the great sea of time.” — E.P. Whipple Click To Tweet
46. “There are books so alive that you’re always afraid that while you weren’t reading, the book has gone and changed, has shifted like a river; while you went on living, it went on living too, and like a river moved on and moved away. No one has stepped twice into the same river. But did anyone ever step twice into the same book?” — Marina Tsvetaeva
47. “A book is a gift you can open again and again.” – Garrison Keillor
48. “The only thing that you absolutely have to know, is the location of the library.” – Albert Einstein“A house without books is like a room without windows.” — Heinrich Mann Click To Tweet
50. “Books are delightful society. If you go into a room and find it full of books — even without taking them from the shelves they seem to speak to you, to bid you welcome.” — William Ewart Gladstone
- Which of these quotes about books did you enjoy the most?
- Do you have any favorite books you love to come back to, time and time again?
Please share your favorite books, favorite quotes about books, and your love for reading with me in the comments.
Share these quotes with a fellow bookworm.