There are many ways to see the same situation. Rather than automatically searching for flaws, open your mind (and heart) and seek out the positive aspects of what’s going on—or at least another perspective. When we balance our brains, we’ll truly know what harmony on earth feels like. These quotes about being open-minded might help.
“It’s easy to judge. It’s more difficult to understand. Understanding requires compassion, patience, and a willingness to believe that good hearts sometimes choose poor methods. Through judging, we separate. Through understanding, we grow.” – Doe Zantamata
The world is but a canvas to the mind. We paint our reality with our thoughts, and it’s up to us to paint a happy picture or an unhappy one. When we remain consciously open to the possibilities in life, we’re simultaneously vowing to make the best of every situation.Be willing to look at things differently, because things aren't always as they seem to be. Click To Tweet
Much of life is about connection—to yourself, to each other, to the world around you and within you. Start with an open mind and soften to the situation. The more you see, the more you hear, the more you experience, and the more connections you’ll make.
There are other points of view and other ways of doing things; understanding this, and relinquishing judgment against what doesn’t match our beliefs, is the beginning to being a little wiser and a little more compassionate.
These quotes about being open-minded are truly about softening our presence in the world, which actually strengthens it.
Even if you don’t agree with another perspective, you can try accepting it as an equally legitimate possibility, or at least another human being’s reality. We are each the designer of the reality that is true for us. The lens through which we view the world literally shapes the world we see.
May these quotes about being open-minded remind you that fear closes the mind; love opens it.
25 Quotes about Being Open-Minded and Receptive to Life
1. “Progress is impossible without change, and those who cannot change their minds cannot change anything.” – George Bernard Shaw
2. “Let go of your attachment to being right, and suddenly your mind is more open. You’re able to benefit from the unique viewpoints of others, without being crippled by your own judgment.” – Ralph Marston
3. “I don’t need other people to have an open mind for me to be happy. I’m the only one who needs an open mind.” – Byron Katie“The mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work unless it’s open.” – Frank Zappa Click To Tweet
5. “Above all, remember that the most important thing you can take anywhere is not a Gucci bag or French-cut jeans; it’s an open mind.” – Gail Rubin Bereny
6. “Be observing constantly. Stay open minded. Be eager to learn and improve.” – John Wooden
7. “Once you become consciously aware of just how powerful your thoughts are, you will realize everything in your life is exactly how YOU allow it to be.” – Melanie Moushigian Koulouris“A good traveler is one who knows how to travel with the mind.” – Michael Bassey Johnson Click To Tweet
9. “I’m for open-mindedness and tolerance. I’m against any form of fanaticism, fundamentalism or zealotry, and this certainty of ‘We have the truth.’ The truth is far too large and complex. Nobody has the truth.” – Philip Pullman
10. “Are right and wrong convertible terms, dependent upon popular opinion?” – William Lloyd Garrison
11. “If you don’t go through life with an open mind, you will find a lot of closed doors.” – Mark W. PerrettDon't criticize what you can't understand. – Bob Dylan Click To Tweet
13. “Education’s purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one.” – Malcolm Forbes
14. “As the old saying goes, in the expert’s mind there are few possibilities, but for one with the beginner’s mind, the world is wide open. Designers understand the need to take risks, especially during early explorations of the problem. They are not afraid to break with convention. Good designers are open minded and comfortable with ambiguity early on in the process, this is how discoveries are made.” – Garr Reynolds
15. “A mind once opened never closes.” – Unknown“The eyes are useless when the mind is blind.” – Unknown Click To Tweet
17. “An open mind leaves a chance for someone to drop a worthwhile thought in it.” – Mark Twain
18. “I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief.” – Gerry Spence
19. “An open-minded person sees life without boundaries, whereas a close-minded person can only see what’s beyond their eyes.” – Kaoru Shinmon“Always keep an open mind and a compassionate heart.” – Phil Jackson Click To Tweet
21. “Open your eyes to the beauty around you, open your mind to the wonders of life, open your heart to those who love you, and always be true to yourself.” – Donna Davis
22. “In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, in the expert’s mind there are few.” – Shunryu Suzuk
23. “Our only limitations are those we set up in our own minds.” – Napoleon Hill“An open heart is an open mind.” – Dalai Lama Click To Tweet
25. “It is increasingly important to be open-minded.” – Tucker Carlson
- Are you willing to keep an open mind today?
- Are you willing to put more energy into understanding than criticizing?
- How can you practice shifting into a more loving perspective today?
- When has keeping an open mind freed you to enjoy life more?
Please share your thoughts, favorite quotes, lessons learned in patience and understanding, and any experiences with me in the comments.
Share these quotes with someone who might appreciate the beauty of adopting another, more loving perspective.
When we practice being open minded about whatever comes next, we will gain far more than we will lose.