Connect with nature and nourish your soul with this simple homemade sugar scrub recipe. Your skin will thank you. Plus, it smells heavenly.
“Rest and self-care are so important. When you take time to replenish your spirit, it allows you to serve others from the overflow. You cannot serve from an empty vessel.” – Eleanor Brownn
Jojoba, sugar, and lavender essential oil form the foundation for this blissful body scrub. If you have lilac bushes growing on your property, you can mince some fresh flowers for a little something extra.
This homemade concoction has soothing, softening qualities that will put your mind at peace. Feel free to play with any ingredients, adding your own favorite oils and scents. I try something new every time I’m ready for a new batch. Make it fun!“Take care of your body. It’s the only place you have to live.” – Jim Rohn Click To Tweet
You only need four ingredients to make this recipe… and to turn your shower into a mini-vacation for the senses.
Homemade Sugar Scrub Recipe
- 4 tbsp. jojoba or other oil (sunflower, olive, almond, etc.)
- 5 tbsp. sugar (white or brown, your preference)
- 10-15 drops lavender essential oil
- 10-15 drops lilac essential oil OR,
- 1-2 tbsp. dried or fresh lilac flowers*
Recipe makes enough for 3-4 showers and should last you 3-4 weeks (one scrub per week does the trick).
*If you use fresh flowers, make enough for one shower only, as the flowers may make the scrub smell rancid after several days. For a single batch, divide this recipe by about 4 and adjust measurements as needed.
Benefits of Jojoba
Jojoba (pronounced ho-HO-ba) is actually not an oil, but is a term used to refer to both the desert plant and to the extract obtained from its seed. It’s an ideal carrier for essential oils as it has almost no scent.
Jojoba has several uses and beneficial properties, including:
- Soothes and restores elasticity to dry skin
- Conditions and softens skin and cuticles
- Conditions the scalp and hair, prevents dryness, and restores manageability
- Provides soothing relief for Psoriasis
- Is safe, stable, and mixes well with other ingredients
- Works well as a massage “oil”
Benefits of Lavender Essential Oil
Lavender is my go-to essential oil. I use it on its own when I’m having a stressful moment, and it’s a favorite fragrant infusion into any natural body/beauty product. In short, I love lavender.
Some benefits of lavender:
- Offers pain relief for sore muscles, sprains, rheumatism, and backaches
- Alleviates nervous tension, headaches, and migraines
- Can help treat anxiety, depression, emotional stress, and acne
- Increases mental activity
- Disinfects scalp and skin
- Enhances blood circulation, digestion, and immune health
- Has anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, and anti-fungal properties
- Enhances sleep quality and regularity
- Can help treat respiratory problems and respiratory tract infections
- Can be used as a bug repellent
Bravo, lavender, you are pretty amazing.
Benefits of Lilac
Besides this flower’s beautiful showcase of springtime, lilac has a history of medicinal use. Doctors once used lilac to treat fevers (with erratic results), parasitic worms, and malaria. Modern herbalists use lilac to treat rashes, sunburn, and minor cuts and scrapes.
Lilac essential oil has calming qualities that provide soothing effects, centering the mind and easing anxiety.
- Do you love jojoba?
- What are your favorite essential oils and scents to wear and use in homemade recipes?
- What are your favorite ingredients to use in sugar scrubs?
Please share your thoughts and any favorite recipes with me in the comments.
Share this homemade sugar scrub with someone who might enjoy it.
Take time to stop and smell the lilacs…