When healing becomes a priority, all the little things start to matter a whole lot more. You start to experiment, ask questions, do your own research, seek help, and open your mind to all possibilities. This is how I came across these essential oil blends for sleep: I’m doing my own mining for all the little nuances of living an enriched, nourished life. Sleep, I’ve found, matters a great deal.
“Research shows that odors have significant effects on the human nervous system, even in the absence of attention and awareness to these odors.”— Dr. Bryan Raudenbush
I’d like to start this out by mentioning that I’m not here to endorse any particular brand of essential oils or relay all of the magical healing powers of essential oils. I’m focusing on sleep because it’s essential for healing anything—mind, body, heart, soul—and if certain scents can help us fall asleep easier, that’s something worth sharing.
I will offer that I’ve been experimenting with new essential oils through Thrive Market (one of my favorite companies that I trust for high-quality ingredients and products) and that I’m highly interested in the role scent can play in healing.
That being said, I wholeheartedly believe that aromatherapy can be a helpful, complementary healing modality, hence why I’m sharing a few essential oil blends for sleep today.
I love to sleep because my brain is so ON during the day that every ounce of my being needs the deep restoration that only a good night’s sleep can impart. I’ve found that certain essential oils have helped me wind down at night, most notably vanilla and lavender. A dab on my skin or pillow is just a gentle reminder that it’s time to rest; it’s a routine, and routines are powerful.“Prioritizing good sleep is good self love.” @DanielleLaPorte Click To Tweet
Harmless plug: Have you heard that I just wrote a book of bedtime affirmations? I’m really excited about the project. Read more about it here if you love to sleep, too.
For the love of feeling fully alive and well, here are 7 essential oil blends for sleep that can help restore your mind, body, heart, and soul to full vitality each morning. Hey, if it helps even one tiny bit, it’s no small thing, right?
8 Essential Oil Blends for Sleep
1. This peaceful essential oil diffuser blend from Simply Reeni is a lovely way to unwind after a long day, promoting a calm mind and a positive outlook (a perfect combination for a good night’s sleep).
- 3 drops vetiver
- 2 drops lavender
- 2 drops ylang-ylang
2. This bedtime linen spray from The Nutty Pear just goes to show that a little glass spray bottle can go a long way around the house; essential oils make a wonderful addition to all sorts of home and personal products, as they do in this peaceful blend.
- 1 oz distilled water
- 1 oz witch hazel
- 12 drops lavender
- 12 drops ylang-ylang
3. Here’s an aromatherapy roll-on blend from Hello Glow that seems easy to apply and delightful to fall asleep with (you’ll need a roller ball applicator, dark-colored glass is best).
- 7 drops Roman chamomile
- 5 drops lavender
- About 1/3 oz carrier oil (fractioned coconut oil, olive, jojoba, sweet almond)
4. Sweet Dreams Pillow Spray sounds pretty wonderful to me, and the aforementioned link offers a dozen favorite blends perfect for shaking and spritzing on your pillow before bedtime. Here’s the one that I’d like to try:
- 1/2 cup carrier liquid (water + Epsom salt, witch hazel, or vodka)
- 4 drops geranium
- 2 drops cedarwood
- 2 drops sandalwood
- 2 drops lemon
5. I love the looks of this Starry Night Diffuser Recipe that features six essential oils. If you click on the link just mentioned and scroll to the bottom of the page, you’ll find six more essential oil blends for sleep—maybe another one will catch your eye.
- 2 drops ylang-ylang
- 1 drop bergamot
- 1 drop Roman chamomile
- 1 drop valerian
- 1 drop lavender
- 1 drop sweet marjoram
6. Sweet Serenity features the scent I keep returning to, no matter how I’m feeling: vanilla. It always makes me feel better, grounded—like all is well.
- 4 drops vanilla
- 3 drops jasmine
- 2 drops bergamot
7. Her Sleep Blend is a mood-lifting mixture that can be used in a diffuser or massaged into your chest, abdomen, or feet. The earthy, herbal scent might be enough to ease you into sleep.
- 4 drops clary sage
- 4 drops vetiver
- 2 drops juniper
8. Be Still My Brain sounds pretty… perfect, right? Overthinking is something I think a lot of people can relate to (myself included, absolutely). Here’s a blend to relax your racing mind, whether you use it in a diffuser, bath soak, or massage:
- 4 drops jasmine
- 2 drops cedarwood
- 2 drops Roman chamomile
- 2 drops vetiver
- Which scents are your favorite (whether that’s to fall asleep with, or just in general)?
- What (usually, or always) helps you fall asleep easier?
Please share your favorite scents, favorite essential oil blends for sleep, brands that you love, what you look for in high-quality oils, and any important aspects of your bedtime routine with me in the comments.
Share these essential oil blends for sleep with someone who’d appreciate some peace, all through the night.
Instead of saying “I can’t sleep” go with “I love sleep.” Associate sleep with love, not doubt.