Before (or after) you find yourself answering the requests of the world, ask your own self what it is you could do today to be at home within yourself. A center of inner peace is strengthened through mindful attention—leave it up to everyone else, and that peace seems little far-fetched. That’s what coming home to yourself feels like: a peaceful strength, a sanctuary.
“Souls tend to go back to who feels like home.” — N.R. Hart
This is about going back home… to yourself I’m going to start with a few questions I’ve been asking myself in the mornings:
- How can I make my world a little bit brighter today?
- What will I do to help someone?
- How can I help myself?
The conversations we have with ourselves first thing in the morning have a way of setting the tone for the rest of the day. Learning to be easy on yourself—such a gift. It’s not always easy to do, though (irony?), which is why the simple morning ritual of asking yourself questions that encourage a positive outlook might help to pave the way.
Before the world has a chance to tell you how your day is going to go, affirm to yourself know how you want to feel and live this day.
Instead of looking at emails, text messages, news updates, and social media notifications right away, wake up with your priorities. Ask yourself a few questions: “How do I want to feel no matter what happens around me?” Maybe a variation of that or make it specific to what’s on today’s agenda.
It’s about coming home to yourself before you’ve strayed. In full honesty: we’ve probably already strayed. That’s okay, too, because we might eventually come back home to ourselves. As the Tao Teh Ching states: To be far is to return. I guess the world is round.
I sure know that it’s sometimes really uncomfortable and even downright agony to befriend yourself (like the poem pictured expresses). It doesn’t matter how painful or awkward it is, though: I know, deep down, that it’s necessary.
This is a reminder that a simple moment of mindfulness, and a hand on the heart, can change the way you live today.
10 Quotes about Coming Home to Yourself
1. “It was when I stopped searching for home within others / and lifted the foundations of home within myself / I found there were no roots more intimate / than those between a mind and body / that have decided to be whole.” — Rupi Kaur
2. “When you belong, you are a natural part of the puzzle. You fit right in as you are. When you conform to gain acceptance, you pretty much have to slice and rearrange bits of yourself to fit into that particular puzzle.” — Kathy Shalhoub
3. “Because true belonging only happens when we present our authentic, imperfect selves to the world, our sense of belonging can never be greater than our level of self-acceptance.” — Brené Brown“You being enough is not dependent upon anything, not even your own opinion of yourself. ” — Jennifer Williamson tell a friend
5. “Home is where you hear love within the stillness.” — Raquel Franco
6. “The only way to get what you really want, is to know what you really want. And the only way to know what you really want, is to know yourself. And the only way to know yourself, is to be yourself. And the only way to be yourself is to listen to your heart.” — Mike Dooley
7. “As you live deeper in the heart, the mirror gets cleaner and cleaner.” — Rumi“Taking care of yourself doesn’t mean ‘me first,’ it means ‘me too.’” — L.R. Knost tell the world
9. “And I said to my body softly, ‘I want to be your friend.’ It took a long breath and replied, ‘I have been waiting my whole life for this.’” – Nayyirah Waheed
10. “She needs time, like we all do. Time to be ok with being ok. Because sometimes feeling right, after feeling so wrong for so long, is the hardest thing to get used to.” — JmStorm
Read this next: empowering affirmations for self-worth and authenticity.
I’m curious: How can you be a home to yourself?
What can you ask yourself each morning to come home to a place of inner peace, acceptance, and compassion before the day has a chance to define you?
Share your thoughts and any stories with me in the comments. Share the love with a friend and pass on these quotes.
Belong to yourself. You’re not the thoughts. You’re not the emotions. You are much, much more. Explore.