When I think of the spirit of Christmas, I think of something far greater than a set of beliefs. I think of what brings people together in a “conspiracy of love,” as American essayist Hamilton Wright Mabie once noted. Immerse yourself in these Christmas quotes and poems: they speak beautifully of the true blessings and joys of the season.
Many people tend to dwell more on misfortunes than on blessings in life. Of course, it’s not easy to “retrain” our brains to see what’s going well and to not take life for granted each day. This is a time of year when a new energy rises up, inviting us to remember what matters most, and to set aside our burdens, if only for a long moment.
Christmas is a special time for those who celebrate the greatest blessing of all: the love we get to share during a lifetime on earth.
Christmas is an occasion for gratitude and a call for a change of heart. Illuminated with strings of lights and easier smiles, Christmas has a way of reawakening the true treasures of being alive. These treasures, like forgiveness and trust and full presence, are weightier than anything we’d find tied with a bow.
We remember what it felt like long ago, to be children, enveloped with wonder and delight, light on our feet and hope nestled in our hearts.
Christmas is a day for friendship and good food, longer hugs and the feeling of home. And that’s what this holiday really is, I think: the feeling of returning home, to the love we’re here to give and receive with as much grace and as little expectation as possible.
Here’s my wish for you:
May you breathe in peace this season. May you breathe joy into everything you do. May love surround you and carry you through.
13 Christmas Quotes & Poems to Hearten Your Holidays
1. “I heard the bells on Christmas Day
Their old, familiar carols play,
And wild and sweet the words repeat
Of peace on earth, good-will to men!”
— Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
“Christmas is a togethery sort of holiday,” said Pooh. “That’s my favorite kind,” said Piglet. — A.A. Milne #Christmas share with a friend
3. “May you have the gladness of Christmas which is hope;
The spirit of Christmas which is peace;
The heart of Christmas which is love.”
— Ada V. Hendricks
“I have often thought… it happens very well that #Christmas should fall out in the Middle of Winter.” — Joseph Addison, The Spectator tell a friend
5. “Christmas is the spirit of giving without a thought of getting. It is happiness because we see joy in people. It is forgetting self and finding time for others. It is discarding the meaningless and stressing the true values.” — Thomas S. Monson
Read this next: 5 festive holiday affirmations to help you bring the joy.
6. “Christmas is a season for kindling the fire for hospitality in the hall, the genial flame of charity in the heart.” – Washington Irving
“Blessed is the season which engages the whole world in a conspiracy of love.” — Hamilton Wright Mabie #Christmas share the love
8. “Our hearts grow tender with childhood memories and love of kindred, and we are better throughout the year for having, in spirit, become a child again at Christmas time.” — Laura Ingalls Wilder
9. “Christmas, my child, is love in action. Every time we love, every time we give, it’s Christmas.” — Dale Evans
“Christmas waves a magic wand over this world, and behold, everything is softer and more beautiful.” — Norman Vincent Peale #Christmas spread the magic
Read this next: grief and the holidays: how to cope and how to help.
11. “At Christmas I no more desire a rose
Than wish a snow in May’s new-fangled mirth;
But like of each thing that in season grows.”
— William Shakespeare
“At #Christmas, all roads lead home.” — Marjorie Holmes spread the love
13. “My idea of Christmas, whether old-fashioned or modern, is very simple: loving others. Come to think of it, why do we have to wait for Christmas to do that?” — Bob Hope
Want more cheer? Read these next: 22 uplifting holiday quotes.
Let me know in the comments below:
What does Christmas mean to you? (to me, it means: the people)
Share the love with your people: the best gift of all.
May your spirits be bright,