Pre-bedtime recipes should be easy to make and light on the belly. Let’s be honest, if they’re not easy to make, they’re about 90% less likely to be made (or is that just me?). Here’s an after dinner smoothie with only a handful of sleep-friendly ingredients to help you fall asleep easier and wake up with a heart that’s ready to explore another day on this crazy, beautiful planet.
Keeping evening rituals is an effective way to send your brain and body into sleep mode — with more beauty and ease. The consistency of your routine plus the devotion of your present-moment awareness is what turns any ordinary activity into a sacred — or, at least, soothing — practice: a ritual.
This means that the simple act of preparing and enjoying a meal, snack, or beverage can be turned into a ritual.
PSA: My next book, Sleep Rituals: 100 Practices for a Deep and Peaceful Sleep, is coming out next week! You still have a chance to preorder it and get my free Inner Peace Manifesto! Learn more here.
This after dinner smoothie is made with sleep in mind: make it with loving attention and care, and it will be a ritual.
You can either use berries or cherries as your fruity base. Tart cherries (especially Montmorency cherries) are a natural source of melatonin, which is the hormone that regulates your body’s wake-and-sleep cycle. That’s why I incorporate tart cherry concentrate, whatever my fruit base.
A hint of honey, a dose of nourishing collagen peptides and MCT oil (healthy fats), and lavender flowers each make an appearance for one specific reason: the right amount can usher the body into a more peaceful state that’s conducive to sound sleep.
Better sleep = a better life!Ingredients for a good night's sleep: tart cherries, raw honey, lavender flowers, healthy fats, ashwaghanda, milk, and love. #sleep tell a friend
Enjoy this sweet and soothing treat 1-2 hours before bedtime for best results.
My After Dinner Smoothie Recipe
- 1/4 cup berries (or Montmorency cherries for extra sleep-friendliness)
- 1 cup milk of choice (organic cow’s, coconut, almond, cashew, etc.)
- 1 tablespoon collagen peptides (Vital Proteins and Thrive Market’s brand are my favorites)
- 1/3 teaspoon organic ashwaghanda root powder (I also go with Mountain Rose Herbs when I can)
- 1 tablespoon MCT oil
- 2 tablespoons 100% organic tart cherry concentrate
- 1 tablespoon raw honey (local is best: I also alternate between Really Raw Honey and Honest Raw Honey)
- 1/4 teaspoon organic dried lavender flowers (I also go with Mountain Rose Herbs when I can)
- Add berries, milk, then the remaining ingredients to a blender. I use my NutriBullet Magic Bullet.
- Blend until smooth. If using Montmorency cherries instead of berries, you can swap honey for maple syrup and gently heat the blended ingredients in a saucepan, stirring until warmed through and slightly frothy. It’s a delightful sleep tonic for cooler nights.
Easy is beautiful.
Oh, by the way: My first book (Sleep Affirmations) would make a beautiful nighttime ritual. Reading light and inspiring text before bed calms the mind, tires the eyes, and soothes the soul.
Don’t forget: you can pre-order my next book, Sleep Rituals, and get my free Peace Manifesto!
In the comments below, share your favorite pre-bedtime recipes, go-to smoothie flavors, and what helps you sleep better – I’d love to know what works for you!
Share this recipe with your sleep- and smoothie-loving friends.