Regularly expressing gratitude is a life-changing practice that breeds happiness, and that’s exactly why I’m sharing these quotes about being thankful.
“You won’t be happy with more until you’re happy with what you’ve got.” – Viki King
Never let what you want make you forget about what you have.
Gratitude isn’t just a way of thinking and seeing the world; gratitude is a way of moving through life. It’s a commitment to appreciating the little things and transforming ordinary moments into opportunities to smile. Too often are the little things taken for granted.Don't disregard the smallest blessing; miracles are miraculous regardless of their size. Click To Tweet
As you express gratitude toward others and yourself, you’ll find it becomes more natural to feel grateful for your life. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can adjust your response to it and thus control the depth of joy you allow yourself to experience.
You’re worthy of living a life you truly enjoy, one you can appreciate with more ease.
I hope these quotes about being thankful inspire you to never give up hope on living a good life.
35 Quotes about Being Thankful
1. “Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.”
2. “As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them.” – John F. Kennedy
3. “Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where others see nothing.” – Camille Pissaro“A grateful mind is a great mind which eventually attracts to itself great things.” – Plato Click To Tweet
5. “If you haven’t all the things you want, be grateful for the things you don’t have that you wouldn’t want.” – Unknown
6. “Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well.” – Voltaire
7. “Feeling grateful or appreciative of someone or something in your life actually attracts more of the things that you appreciate and value into your life.” – Christiane Northrup“When I started counting my blessings, my whole life turned around.” – Willie Nelson Click To Tweet
9. “The smallest thanks is always worth more than the effort it takes to give it.” – Unknown
10. “To speak gratitude is courteous and pleasant, to enact gratitude is generous and noble, but to live gratitude is to touch Heaven.” – Johannes Gaertner
11. “Gratitude makes sense of our past, brings peace for today, and creates a vision for tomorrow.” – Melody Beattie“To live a life fulfilled reflect on the things you have with gratitude.” – Jaren Davis Click To Tweet
13. “Be grateful, not only for others, but for yourself.” – Unknown
14. “What can you do right now to turn your life around?? Gratitude.” – The Secret
15. “Reflect upon your present blessings — of which every man has many — not on your past misfortunes, of which all men have some.” – Charles Dickens“The essence of all beautiful art, all great art, is gratitude.” – Friedrich Nietzsche Click To Tweet
17. “It is necessary, then, to cultivate the habit of being grateful for every good thing that comes to you, and to give thanks continuously. And because all things have contributed to your advancement, you should include all things in your gratitude.” – Wallace D. Wattles
18. “If you can’t reward then you should thank.” – Arabic Proverb
19. “They are not poor that have little, but they that desire much. The richest man, whatever his lot, is the one who’s content with his lot.” – Dutch Proverb“Gratitude is the most exquisite form of courtesy.” – Jacques Maritain Click To Tweet
21. “Stop thinking gratitude as a by-product of your circumstances and start thinking of it as a world view.” – Bryan Robles
22. “Not what we say about our blessings, but how we use them, is the true measure of our thanksgiving.” – W.T. Purkiser
23. “The deepest craving of human nature is the need to be appreciated.” – William James“Give thanks for a little and you will find a lot.” – Hansa Proverb Click To Tweet
25. “Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns; I am thankful that thorns have roses.” – Alphonse Karr
26. “I would maintain that thanks are the highest form of thought, and that gratitude is happiness doubled by wonder.” – Gilbert K. Chesterton
27. “Maybe being grateful means recognizing what you have for what it is. Appreciating small victories. Admiring the struggle it takes to simply be human… At the end of the day, the fact that we have the courage to still be standing is reason enough to celebrate.” – Meredith Grey“Giving is an expression of gratitude for our blessings.” – Laura Arrillaga-Andreessen Click To Tweet
29. “Feeling gratitude and not expressing it is like wrapping a present and not giving it.” – William Ward
30. “When you are grateful, fear disappears and abundance appears.” – Tony Robbins
31. “The only people with whom you should try to get even are those who have helped you.” – John E Southard“The roots of all goodness lie in the soil of appreciation for goodness.” – Dalai Lama Click To Tweet
33. “We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit.” – Albert Schweitzer
34. “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all others.” – Cicero
35. “We can only be said to be alive in those moments when our hearts are conscious of our treasures.” – Thornton Wilder
- How will you express your gratitude today?
- Did any of these quotes really hit home for you?
- Are you willing to stay grateful for everything, the blessings and the hard lessons?
- What does “living a good life” mean to you?
Please share your favorite quotes about being thankful, thoughts, lessons learned in gratitude and joy, and any relevant experiences with me in the comments.
Share these quotes with someone you’re thankful for.
If you find that you cannot give thanks, at least find the willingness to give thanks.
Free watercolor clip art by Angie Makes; lettering by Aim Happy.