We rise above our fears, our weaknesses, and our shadows by looking at them. May these self-reflection quotes help you smile during tough times, grow patient in your relationships, and harness the wisdom from your inner work.
“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
These self-reflection quotes are not about lingering on feelings of frustration; they’re more about transcending them by seeing beyond them, learning through them, and rising because of them.
We might notice that blaming our problems on others, or finding fault with our life circumstances, leads us down the path of suffering. Our outward judgments and complaints are really pointing us inward: What we see in others is a reflection of what we’ll find in ourselves.
When you realize that everything springs from yourself, you can start walking the path of peace.
To observe one’s own thoughts and feelings is not to turn the judgment inward, either, but to pay attention to it so life can be better understood. It means to point our spiritual heart in our own direction, to harness the power of our highest self so that we may pour light on our problems and ease our troubled mind.“Self-trust is the first secret of success.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson Click To Tweet
Introspection is the opposite of self-rejection. The loving gaze we grant ourselves will free us and lift everyone. It can be painful sometimes, though, when we start looking within for creative solutions to our problems. Shining the light on the disowned parts of our shadow is not easy, but there are no short cuts to any place worth going.
Two keys to positive introspection are:
- To really value your self-awareness; it’s enlightening to know why you do things, to recognize your triggers, to have a clear perception of your personality, strengths, weaknesses, beliefs, motivations, and emotions.
- Your willingness to believe you’re already enough; then you can make changes from a loving standpoint, not a shameful one. Lasting positive change occurs only through a loving introspective willingness to approach ourselves with acceptance, forgiveness, and encouragement.
Reflection is a gift for your spirit: it allows deeper parts of who you are to come forth and be discovered, and it also enables you to create yourself anew. You begin the process seeking to find out who you are, and then you discover that you play a role in the creation of who you want to be.
Positive self-reflection is a balance of who you see yourself as now, and who you see beyond this current situation.
When we look within with love, we’ll realize that we must purposely be what we’d like to see in the world: the love, the positivity, the light, the change. I hope the self-reflection quotes below encourage you, too, to look with love and come back with a little more clarity, humility, authenticity, patience, and intention.
25 Self-Reflection Quotes for a Healthy Relationship with Yourself, and Others
1. “The feeling of being ‘offended’ is a warning indicator that is showing you where to look within yourself for unresolved issues.” – Bryant McGill
2. “Unless you learn to face your own shadows, you will continue to see them in others, because the world outside you is only a reflection of the world inside you.” – Unknown
3. “Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves.” – Carl Jung“We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.” – Anais Nin Click To Tweet
5. “People are sent into our lives to teach us things that we need to learn about ourselves.” – Mandy Hale
6. “The journey into self-love and self-acceptance must begin with self-examination… until you take the journey of self-reflection, it is almost impossible to grow or learn in life.” – Iyanla Vanzant
7. “It is always our own self that we find at the end of the journey. The sooner we face that self, the better.” – Ella Maillart“Remind yourself that you cannot fail at being yourself.” – Wayne Dyer Click To Tweet
9. “What we perceive about ourselves is greatly a reflection of how we will end up living our lives.” – Stephen Richards
10. “People who have had little self-reflection live life in a huge reality blind-spot.” – Bryant McGill“Knowing yourself is the beginning of all wisdom.” – Aristotle Click To Tweet
12. “The purpose of our spiritual journey is not to replace the darkness with light, rather it’s to integrate and honor all the parts of ourselves… all of life’s energies.” – Deb Blum
13. “You’re always with yourself, so you might as well enjoy the company.” – Diane von Furstenberg
14. “The soul usually knows what to do to heal itself. The challenge is to silence the mind.” – Caroline Myss“This above all; to thine own self be true.” – William Shakespeare Click To Tweet
16. “Honest self-reflection opens your mind to reprogramming, change, success and freedom.” – Unknown
17. “Your greatest self has been waiting your whole life; don’t make it wait any longer.” – Dr. Steve Maraboli
18. “Without reflection, we go blindly on our way, creating more unintended consequences, and failing to achieve anything useful.” – Margaret J. Wheatley“The unexamined life is not worth living.” – Socrates Click To Tweet
20. “The greatest of faults, I should say, is to be conscious of none.” – Thomas Carlyle
21. “The deepest secret is that life is not a process of discovery, but a process of creation. You are not discovering yourself but creating yourself anew. Seek, therefore, not to find out who you are, seek to determine what you want to be.” – Neal Donald Walsch
22. “The quieter you become, the more you can hear.” – Ram Dass“Self-reflection is the school of wisdom.” – Baltasar Gracian Click To Tweet
24. “Before I ask you to sit with me, I must be able to sit with myself. Before I ask you to accept my pain, I have to accept the pain myself. Before I ask you to love me, I have to be madly in love with myself.” – C. Thoth
25. “There is no greater journey than the one that you must take to discover all of the mysteries that lie within you.” – Michelle Sandlin
Please share your favorite self-reflection quotes, helpful insights, lessons learned so far, loving revelations, and any stories with me in the comments.
Share these self-reflection quotes with someone who might appreciate them.
As Michelangelo said, at age 87, “I am still learning.”