Healing is a journey we will each face if we allow our hearts to open to it. That’s why, today, these quotes about healing have made their way to you. Whatever you or someone you love is healing from, I want you to open your heart to what’s possible from this place. The journey is worthwhile, and so are you.
“The way out of suffering is in the suffering. The way out of discomfort is in the discomfort. Don’t turn away; stay. Listen. Honor. That’s the only way to heal.” — Jennifer Williamson
Simple, healing messages can provoke powerful responses in us, softening our grip, loosening our need to control what happens or know everything, and soothing our aches. I cherish the heart work of creating and sharing these kinds of messages. They unite us—place common ground underneath our feet.
Before any answers are suggested, it’s important to note that there is no one path that serves everyone all of the time. There is no right speed at which to proceed with one’s healing. Not every answer is everyone’s answer.
I treasure the healing process for all of its nuances and poetry, and for how it embraces the mysteries. It’s not always sunshine and flowers, but it’s a real joy to watch the seeds grow, whatever the conditions.
You have to be both willing and ready for what healing has to offer because once you start showing up for what’s showing up for you, like anger and grief, more healing is going to be presented to you. The courage to continue is what opens you to surprise growth—like a gemstone in a rock, or a flower in a crack of a sidewalk.“How can we heal if we don’t listen to our wounds?” — Jennifer Williamson tweet this
It’s easy to think, at first glance, that the healing process is about moving on, but I’ve come to understand that’s far from the truth. Honest healing comes from moving in, sinking into the process and practicing presence with our painful thoughts, emotions, and memories.
There are a lot of potholes to navigate. It can be painful (talk about an understatement). There’s a lot to learn, though, through the process of rising when we’re tempted to stay down, stay small, or stay comfortable.
One of the lessons I’ve learned so far is that the places that hurt the most are the places that need the most love.
Below are some of my most cherished quotes about healing that I’ve gathered along my way. They speak to my heart; I hope you find one or two that speak to yours.
20 Quotes about Healing to Uplift and Soothe
1. “The place of true healing is a fierce place. It’s a giant place. It’s a place of monstrous beauty and endless dark and glimmering light. And you have to work really, really, really hard to get there, but you can do it.” — Cheryl Strayed, Tiny, Beautiful Things
2. “Wounds don’t heal the way you want them to, they heal the way they need to. It takes time for wounds to fade into scars. It takes time for the process of healing to take place. Give yourself that time. Give yourself that grace. Be gentle with your wounds. Be gentle with your heart. You deserve to heal.” — Dele Olanubi
3. “Keep on going, and the chances are that you will stumble on something, perhaps when you are least expecting it. I never heard of anyone ever stumbling on something sitting down.” — Charles F. Kettering“Our wounds are often the openings into the best and most beautiful part of us.” — David Richo tweet this
5. “Don’t hold together what must fall apart. The familiar life crumbles so the new life can begin.” — Bryant McGill
6. “Grief is itself a medicine.” — William Cowper
7. “Grief is like a long valley, a winding valley where any bend may reveal a totally new landscape… Sometimes the surprise is the opposite one; you are presented with exactly the same sort of country you thought you had left behind miles ago. That is when you wonder whether the valley isn’t a circular trench. But it isn’t. There are partial recurrences, but the sequence doesn’t repeat.”— C.S. Lewis, A Grief Observed“I am better off healed than I ever was unbroken.” — Beth Moore tell the world
9. “For the seed to achieve its greatest expression, it must come completely undone. The shell cracks, its insides come out, and everything changes. To someone who doesn’t understand growth, it would look like a complete destruction.” — Cynthia Occelli
10. “Be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars. In the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul.” — Max Ehrmann
11. “Denial helps us to pace our feelings of grief. There is a grace in denial. It is nature’s way of letting in only as much as we can handle.” — Elisabeth Kübler-Ross“The trick is to be grateful when your mood is high and graceful when it is low.” — Richard Carlson tell a friend
13. “Pain is the doorway to wisdom and to truth.” — Keith Miller
14. “We think that the point is to pass the test or overcome the problem, but the truth is that things don’t really get solved. They come together and they fall apart. Then they come together again and fall apart again… The healing comes from letting there be room for all of this to happen: room for grief, for relief, for misery, for joy.” — Pema Chödrön
15. “Going through things you never thought you’d go through will only take you places you never thought you’d get to.” — Morgan Harper Nichols“Drink from the well of your self and begin again.” — Charles Bukowski share the love
17. “Hard times arouse an instinctive desire for authenticity.” — Coco Chanel
18. “One life on this earth is all that we get, whether it is enough or not enough, and the obvious conclusion would seem to be that at the very least we are fools if we do not live it as fully and bravely and beautifully as we can.” — Frederick Buechner
19. “There is a crack… in everything. That’s how the light gets in.” — Leonard Cohen
20. “The healer you have been looking for is your own courage to know and love yourself completely.” — Yung Pueblo
Share your favorite quotes about healing, any gems of wisdom you’ve unearthed along your journey, and any stories of growth and renewal with me in the comments. I love hearing from you.
Be a beacon of light for someone and send them these quotes to spark hope and joy in their journey.
Honor where you’ve been. Be where you are. Connect to the energy of where you’d like to go.