These water quotes remind us that when we feel a lacking in any domain of our lives, it’s soothing to remember that waterfalls start with a little stream. When we’re overwhelmed with the pace of the world, it too is a relief to remember that rivers don’t crash and rush all the way to the sea.
“The River of Life has no meaning, no good, no bad, no better, no worse, no love, no hate, no fear, no anger, no joy. The River of Life has no judgment, no expectation. The River of Life just IS.” – Jonathan Lockwood Huie
Near the water is where I’m reminded to be easy with myself, and with my life. The water is a teacher and a healer, offering lessons for those who choose to hear them and beauty for those who would see it.
In many ways, our lives can resemble the sometimes turbulent, sometimes calm, always flowing nature of water.
May these water quotes inspire you to not be in a hurry today, but to do things with a quiet mind and a calm spirit, even if the outside is rushing by.
Let’s be patient as nature is. Let’s expend our energy in flowing naturally with the river of life, not struggling or resisting against the current but co-creating our experience.
Sometimes, we are taken into troubled waters so that our hearts, our minds, and our spirit can be cleansed.
28 Water Quotes to Inspire Your Day
1. “I have seen the sea when it is storm and wild; when it is quiet and serene when it is dark and moody. And in all these moods, I see myself.” – Martin Buxbaum
2. “No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it’s not the same river and he’s not the same man.” – Heraclitus
3. “A river cuts through rock not because of its power but because of its persistence.” – Jim Watkins
5. “I would love to live like a river flows, carried by the surprise of its own unfolding.” – John O’Donohue
6. “A Woman in harmony with her spirit is like a river flowing. She goes where she will without pretense and arrives at her destination prepared to be herself and only herself.” – Maya Angelou
8. “Surrender to the flow of the River of Life, yet do not float down the river like a leaf or a log. While neither attempting to resist life nor to hurry it, become the rudder and use your energy to correct your course to avoid the whirlpools and undertow.” – Jonathan Lockwood Huie
9. “You swam in a river of chance and coincidence. You clung to the happiest accidents—the rest you let float by.” – David Wroblewski
11. “I understand that everything is connected, that all roads meet, and that all rivers flow into the same sea.” – Paulo Coelho
12. “Many a calm river begins as a turbulent waterfall, yet none hurtles and foams all the way to the sea.” – Mikhail Lermontov
13. “Never give up, for that is just the place and time the tide will turn.” – Harriet Beecher Stowe
15. “Wondering if you are Love is like the ocean wondering if it is water.” – Unknown
16. “Going with the flow is responding to cues from the universe. When you go with the flow, you’re surfing Life force. It’s about wakeful trust and total collaboration with what’s showing up for you.” – Danielle LaPorte
18. “You can’t cross the sea merely by standing and staring at the water.” – Rabindranath Tagore
19. “Water is fluid, soft and yielding. But water will wear away rock, which is rigid and cannot yield. As a rule, whatever is fluid, soft and yielding will overcome whatever is rigid and hard. This is another paradox: what is soft is strong.” – Lau Tzu
20. “Heavy hearts, like heavy clouds in the sky, are best relieved by the letting of a little water.” – Christopher Morley
22. “A drop of water, if it could write out its own history, would explain the universe to us.” – Lucy Larcom
23. “River is time in water; as it came, still so it flows, yet never is the same.” – Barten Holyday
24. “The wave does not need to die to become water. She is already water.” – Thich Nhat Hanh
26. “When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy.” – Rumi
27. “No water, no life. No blue, no green.” – Sylvia Earle
28. “When I sit here by the sea and listen to the sound of waves, I feel free from all obligations and people of this world.” – Henry Thoreau
- How will you embody the qualities of lakes, rivers, streams, or the sea today?
- Which of these water quotes inspires you to live easy today, to trust in life?
Please share your own favorite quotes, any thoughts, life lessons, experiences, or your love of water with me in the comments.
Share these water quotes with someone who may enjoy them.
May you have peace like a river, joy like a fountain always flowing through you.