These water quotes remind us that when we feel lack in any domain of our lives, it’s soothing to remember that waterfalls start with a little stream. When we’re overwhelmed with the pace of the world, it’s also a relief to remember that rivers don’t crash and rush all the way to the sea.
“The River of Life has no meaning, no good, no bad, no better, no worse, no love, no hate, no fear, no anger, no joy. The River of Life has no judgment, no expectation. The River of Life just IS.” – Jonathan Lockwood Huie
Near the water is where I’m reminded to be easy with myself, and with my life. The water is a teacher and a healer, offering lessons for those who choose to hear them and beauty for those who would see it.
In many ways, our lives can resemble the sometimes turbulent, sometimes calm, always flowing nature of water.
In the book Siddhartha, water taught lessons that the rest of the world could not.
May these water quotes inspire you to not be in a hurry today, but to do things with a quiet mind and a calm spirit, even if the outside is rushing by.
Let’s be patient as nature is—through a patient approach, nothing is left undone. Let’s expend our energy in flowing naturally with the river of life, not struggling or resisting against the current but co-creating our experiences with presence and peace.
Sometimes, we’re taken into troubled waters so that our hearts can be filled, our minds cleansed, and our spirit renewed.
28 Water Quotes to Inspire Your Day
1. “I have seen the sea when it is storm and wild; when it is quiet and serene when it is dark and moody. And in all these moods, I see myself.” – Martin Buxbaum
2. “No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it’s not the same river and he’s not the same man.” – Heraclitus
3. “A river cuts through rock not because of its power but because of its persistence.” – Jim Watkins“Love, like a river, will cut a new path whenever it meets an obstacle.” – Crystal Middlemas Click To Tweet
5. “I would love to live like a river flows, carried by the surprise of its own unfolding.” – John O’Donohue
6. “A Woman in harmony with her spirit is like a river flowing. She goes where she will without pretense and arrives at her destination prepared to be herself and only herself.” – Maya Angelou“Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there someday.” – A. A. Milne Click To Tweet
8. “Surrender to the flow of the River of Life, yet do not float down the river like a leaf or a log. While neither attempting to resist life nor to hurry it, become the rudder and use your energy to correct your course to avoid the whirlpools and undertow.” – Jonathan Lockwood Huie
9. “You swam in a river of chance and coincidence. You clung to the happiest accidents—the rest you let float by.” – David Wroblewski“If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water.” – Loren Eiseley Click To Tweet
11. “I understand that everything is connected, that all roads meet, and that all rivers flow into the same sea.” – Paulo Coelho
12. “Many a calm river begins as a turbulent waterfall, yet none hurtles and foams all the way to the sea.” – Mikhail Lermontov
13. “Never give up, for that is just the place and time the tide will turn.” – Harriet Beecher Stowe“You are not a drop in the ocean. You are the entire ocean, in a drop.” – Rumi Click To Tweet
15. “Wondering if you are Love is like the ocean wondering if it is water.” – Unknown
16. “Going with the flow is responding to cues from the universe. When you go with the flow, you’re surfing Life force. It’s about wakeful trust and total collaboration with what’s showing up for you.” – Danielle LaPorte“You can’t stop the waves, but you can learn to surf.” – Jon Kabat-Zan Click To Tweet
18. “You can’t cross the sea merely by standing and staring at the water.” – Rabindranath Tagore
19. “Water is fluid, soft and yielding. But water will wear away rock, which is rigid and cannot yield. As a rule, whatever is fluid, soft and yielding will overcome whatever is rigid and hard. This is another paradox: what is soft is strong.” – Lau Tzu
20. “Heavy hearts, like heavy clouds in the sky, are best relieved by the letting of a little water.” – Christopher Morley“Water is the driving force of all nature.” – Leonardo Da Vinci Click To Tweet
22. “A drop of water, if it could write out its own history, would explain the universe to us.” – Lucy Larcom
23. “River is time in water; as it came, still so it flows, yet never is the same.” – Barten Holyday
24. “The wave does not need to die to become water. She is already water.” – Thich Nhat Hanh“We forget that the water cycle and the life cycle are one.” – Jacques Cousteau Click To Tweet
26. “When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy.” – Rumi
27. “No water, no life. No blue, no green.” – Sylvia Earle
28. “When I sit here by the sea and listen to the sound of waves, I feel free from all obligations and people of this world.” – Henry Thoreau
How can you take one of these sentiments and apply it to your life today?
Share your favorite water quotes, insights or lessons from the rivers, lakes, or sea, stories, or your love of water with me in the comments.
Know a fellow nature admirer? Share these water quotes to inspire their day.
May you have peace like a river, joy like a fountain always flowing through you.