If we’re continuously willing to shift our perception, life becomes an adventure. These travel quotes are for you if you’re not afraid of looking deeper within yourself for the real adventure.
“We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings having a human experience.” – Pierre Teilhard de Chardin
Perhaps this human journey of a lifetime is meant to be enjoyed and lived as fully as possible, because we’re here with a purpose, and that is to love as much as possible. With each perceptual shift into a more loving frame of mind, we get closer to who we really are.
Perhaps the ultimate adventure is to unlearn fear and remember love.
With this in mind, life becomes an adventure in changing our perspective, unlearning fearful habits, releasing negativity and judgment, allowing well-being to flow through us, learning to be present without the distractions of the ego, and relearning our loving nature.
Traveling, whether physically or emotionally, from one place to another, is one way we get back home.“You are an infinite spiritual being having a temporary human experience.” – Wayne Dyer Click To Tweet
Travel broadens the mind, lengthens the conversation, humbles the attitude, energizes the imagination, and makes friends of those who otherwise would walk the world as strangers.
Traveling allows us to be beginners again, to see people and places for the first time. It’s also a reminder that the practice of having an open mind is meant to travel with us back home—we can practice seeing things and people for the first time, as if we had never seen them before, and to know the peace that it brings.
When you transform your internal landscape, the world “out there” offers a much different experience. Peace inside begets peace on earth. Loving tendencies inside are reflected in the world outside of ourselves. Inner work alters the way we experience our experiences, always.
Let this collection of travel quotes inspire your next adventure, whether it’s across the world, in your own backyard, or into the depths of your soul. Wherever you go and whatever you’re doing (even if it’s a daily task), allow yourself to wander a bit, without focusing too much on the destination.
60 Travel Quotes to Inspire a Real Adventure
1. “All travel has its advantages. If the passenger visits better countries, he may learn to improve his own. And if fortune carries him to worse, he may learn to enjoy it.” – Samuel Johnson
2. “One way to get the most of life is to look upon it as an adventure.” – William Feather
3. “The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
4. “A journey is like marriage. The certain way to be wrong is to think you control it.” – John Steinbeck“One’s destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things.” – Henry Miller Click To Tweet
6. “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.” – Mark Twain
7. “Perhaps travel cannot prevent bigotry, but by demonstrating that all peoples cry, laugh, eat, worry, and die, it can introduce the idea that if we try and understand each other, we may even become friends.” – Maya Angelou
8. “Travel teaches toleration.” – Benjamin Diraeli
9. “When you’re traveling, you are what you are right there and then. People don’t have your past to hold against you. No yesterdays on the road.” – William Least Heat MoonClick To Tweet
11. “I soon realized that no journey carries one far unless, as it extends into the world around us, it goes an equal distance into the world within.” – Lillian Smith
12. “And if travel is like love, it is, in the end, mostly because it’s a heightened state of awareness, in which we are mindful, receptive, undimmed by familiarity and ready to be transformed. That is why the best trips, like the best love affairs, never really end.” – Pico Iyer
13. “We travel, some of us forever, to seek other places, other lives, other souls.” – Anais Nin
14. “Traveling – it leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller.” – Ibn Battuta“We travel not to escape life, but for life not to escape us.” – Anonymous Click To Tweet
16. “One of the most beautiful journeys we can ever take in our lives, is that which calls us to journey within. Once we take that journey within, all that is outside of us becomes even more beautiful than before.” – April Peerless
17. “I am not the same, having seen the moon shine on the other side of the world.” – Mary Anne Radmacher
18. “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.” – Andre Gide
19. “Travel and change of place impart new vigor to the mind.” – Seneca“Remember that happiness is a way of travel – not a destination.” – Roy M. Goodman Click To Tweet
21. “Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world.” – Gustave Flaubert
22. “Stuff your eyes with wonder, live as if you’d drop dead in ten seconds. See the world. It’s more fantastic than any dream made or paid for in factories.” – Ray Bradbury
23. “Traveling tends to magnify all human emotions.” — Peter Hoeg
24. “You don’t have to be rich to travel well.” – Eugene Fodor“A traveler without observation is a bird without wings.” – Moslih Eddin Saadi Click To Tweet
26. “Every man can transform the world from one of monotony and drabness to one of excitement and adventure.” – Irving Wallace
27. “Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.” – Helen Keller
28. “Take only memories, leave only footprints.” – Chief Seattle
29. “Stop worrying about the potholes in the road and enjoy the journey.” – Babs Hoffman
30. “Once in a while it really hits people that they don’t have to experience the world in the way they have been told to.” – Alan KeightleyClick To Tweet
32. “Investment in travel is an investment in yourself.” – Matthew Karsten
33. “Nobody can discover the world for somebody else. Only when we discover it for ourselves does it become common ground and a common bond and we cease to be alone.” – Wendell Berry
34. “It is not down in any map; true places never are.” – Herman Melville
35. “The life you have led doesn’t need to be the only life you have.” – Anna QuindlenClick To Tweet
37. “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
38. “Travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living.” – Miriam Beard
39. “All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.” – Martin Buber
40. “Though we travel all over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.” – Henry David Thoreau“Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer.” – Anonymous Click To Tweet
42. “To my mind, the greatest reward and luxury of travel is to be able to experience everyday things as if for the first time, to be in a position in which almost nothing is so familiar it is taken for granted.” – Bill Bryson
43. “Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
44. “We live in a wonderful world that is full of beauty, charm and adventure. There is no end to the adventures we can have if only we seek them with our eyes open.” – Jawaharial Nehru
45. “Two roads diverged in a wood and I – I took the one less traveled by.” – Robert Frost“Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.” – Neale Donald Walsch Click To Tweet
47. “A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step.” – Lao Tzu
48. “One doesn’t discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time.” – Andre Gide
49. “There is no moment of delight in any pilgrimage like the beginning of it.” – Charles Dudley Warner
50. “Travelling is like flirting with life. It’s like saying, ‘I would stay and love you, but I have to go; this is my station.'” – Lisa St. Aubin de Teran“A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving.” – Lao Tzu Click To Tweet
52. “The journey not the arrival matters.” – T. S. Eliot
53. “A journey is best measured in friends, rather than miles.” – Tim Cahill
54. “I never travel without my diary. One should always have something sensational to read in the train.” – Oscar Wilde
55. “If you wish to travel far and fast, travel light. Take off all your envies, jealousies, unforgiveness, selfishness and fears.” – Cesare PaveseClick To Tweet
57. “Not all those who wander are lost.” – J. R. R. Tolkien
58. “Wandering re-establishes the original harmony which once existed between man and the universe.” – Anatole France
59. “Adventure is a path. Real adventure – self-determined, self-motivated, often risky – forces you to have firsthand encounters with the world. The world the way it is, not the way you imagine it. Your body will collide with the earth and you will bear witness. In this way you will be compelled to grapple with the limitless kindness and bottomless cruelty of humankind – and perhaps realize that you yourself are capable of both. This will change you. Nothing will ever again be black-and-white.” – Mark Jenkins
60. “No one realizes how beautiful it is to travel until he comes home and rests his head on his old, familiar pillow.” – Lin Yutang
Please share your thoughts, favorite travel quotes, helpful insights from your path, lessons learned along the way, and any stories with me in the comments.
Share these travel quotes with someone who would appreciate the message.
Go somewhere you’ve never been before, and enjoy the journey.