It’s a colorful time of year, with petals beginning to open all around us, creatures awakening, and landscapes seeming to come back to life. These lovely quotes about color highlight the joy life is infused with because we know color.
“Sometimes, there’s no clear right or wrong. There’s just a whole lot of in between. That’s where most of life happens.” – Unknown
A world without color is hard to imagine. Color is everywhere–in the clothing we wear, in the jewels and art we adorn our bodies with, in the food we eat, in the homes we build, and in the places we visit.
There’s really no such thing as a bad or wrong color; the color is what it is. We may feel more comfortable with certain colors at varying times in our lives, of course, or simply depending on the day. The beauty is that most of life happens in between the extremes; things are rarely 100% black or white, good or bad, right or wrong.
Color is yet another symbol for life, in that we’re constantly transitioning from one stage to the next in such a way that there’s no clear distinction between the stages; life is an ever-evolving masterpiece, a meddling of colors, a painting that’s continuously being shaped by the present moment and the circumstances playing out.
Consider each life experience, and every person in it, as a color added to your palette. You’re the one holding the brush (or crayon). You’re given color, and another chance to paint the picture of your life.
It’s amazing how, when we incorporate the colors that are most harmonious with our current state of mind, life can seem brighter, richer, or more peaceful. Goethe’s theory of the emotional effects of color, though refuted by a large portion of the scientific community, is fascinating and worth contemplating.
Use your imagination to bring meaningful color into your life today–literally and figuratively.
I hope these quotes about color inspire you to decorate the garden of your own soul with all the shades of light and dark that speak to you.
20 Lovely and Thoughtful Quotes about Color Being a Gift, a Phenomenon, and an Experience
1. “He who wishes to become a master of color must see, feel, and experience each individual color in its endless combinations with all other colors.” – Johannes Itten
2. “Life is about using the whole box of crayons.” – RuPaul
3. “Why do two colors, put one next to the other, sing? Can one really explain this?” – Pablo Picasso
5. “Color is life; for a world without color appears to us as dead. Colors are primordial ideas, the children of light.” – Johannes Itten
6. “Light and darkness, brightness and obscurity, or if a more general expression is preferred, light and its absence, are necessary to the production of color… Color itself is a degree of darkness.” – Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
7. “Color is a power which directly influences the soul. Color is the keyboard, the eyes are the hammers, the soul is the piano with many strings. The artist is the hand which plays, touching one key or another, to cause vibrations in the soul.” – Wassily Kandinsky
9. “In our life there is a single color, as on an artist’s palette, which provides the meaning of life and art. It is the color of love. All colors are the friends of their neighbors and the lovers of their opposites.” – Marc Chagall
10. “Color in a picture is like enthusiasm in life.” – Vincent Van Gogh
11. “Who told you that one paints with colors? One makes use of colors, but one paints with emotions.” – Jean-Baptiste-Simeon Chardin
12. “Remember, color is not just color, but mood, temperature and structure.” – Van Day Truex
14. “Color provokes a psychic vibration. Color hides a power still unknown but real, which acts on every part of the human body.” – Wassily Kandinsky
15. “Color is the language of the poets. It is astonishingly lovely. To speak it is a privilege.” – Keith Crown
16. “Mere color, unspoiled by meaning, and unallied with definite form, can speak to the soul in a thousand different ways.” – Oscar Wilde
18. “Clouds come floating into my life, no longer to carry rain or usher storm, but to add color to my sunset sky.” – Rabindranath Tagore
19. “Colour is uncontainable. It effortlessly reveals the limits of language and evades our best attempts to impose a rational order on it… To work with colour is to become acutely aware of the insufficiency of language and theory – which is both disturbing and pleasurable.” – David Batchelor
20. “And all the colors I am inside have not been invented yet.” – Shel Silverstein
Please share your thoughts, favorite quotes about color, how color has shaped your world, or any insightful lessons inspired by color (metaphorically speaking, or otherwise) with me in the comments.
Share these quotes about color with someone who brings more joy and life to your days.
Paint the world around you with the colors of your inner landscape. Acknowledge what brings you joy, and bring that joy into everything today, even the things you don’t enjoy.