From personal experience, life is much sweeter, richer, easier, productive, and meaningful when I’m feeling good and allowing space for those things that make me smile—by “things” I mean experiences, and by “experiences” I mean HOW I experience my life. I think this list might provoke in you an appetite for happiness, too.
“Every time you praise something, every time you appreciate something, every time you feel good about something, you are telling the Universe, ‘More of this please. More of this, please.’” – Abraham-Hicks
This list of things that makes me smile is really an invitation for you to contemplate, sincerely, those things that make you smile.
It is a dominant intention of mine to feel good while I’m living this life. When I praise what I have and love, it becomes a clearer focal point of mine. When I talk as if what I want is in the process of coming, I become happy in anticipation of what’s yet to come, because I believe it’s coming without reservation.“If you’re not excited about it, it’s not the right path.” – Abraham-Hicks Click To Tweet
The things that make me smile are reminders that I’m on the right path. Feelings are part of an incredible internal guidance system, and when we feel good it’s a message that we’re doing something right—we’re aligned with who we deeply know ourselves to be.
Whatever it is that makes you smile right now, fixate on it. Whatever speaks to you in a joyful manner, listen to that. The world is full of distractions that pull us away from focusing on our feelings, and truly using our feelings as guidance can have such a life-altering effect on everything we experience.
If we feel really good on our way to wherever we want to be, we’ll bring those good feelings into the destination.
This is an appreciation list of sorts, which is a kind of planning for the future (like worrying is planning for the future that we don’t want, because we’re focusing on what we don’t want to happen). This is a call for all of us to focus on what we DO want and enjoy, so that we can start calling in something different.
I hope my listing of the things that make me smile inspires you to look for things to appreciate in your own life.
Experiences, Thoughts, and Other Things That Make Me Smile Right Now
- Lighting a new candle.
- Saying no, with love and respect, to the things and experiences I do not feel 100% excited about.
- The sound of a loved one’s footsteps as they walk in the door.
- Waking up and saying “thank you” before anything else.
- Believing on a “soul” level that I live in an abundant and supportive universe that’s responding to what I’m putting out there.
- Literally stopping all else just to smell the flowers and take in the scenery.
- Giving freely, without fear of losing anything, with the sole intention of giving just to give.
- Repeating “I am enough, and I have enough” until I believe it and feel it as my truth.
- Forgiving myself, and feeling the weight lift.
- Knowing that I helped to brighten someone’s day.
- Being pleasantly surprised to find myself in an enjoyable experience where I didn’t expect it (sweet serendipity).
- Being totally okay with not wearing makeup.
- The sound of a crackling fire (even if it’s coming from my meditation app on the tablet).
- Feeling inspired in the moment without being attached to an outcome.
- Reading a book outside on the deck, with only the sounds and sights of nature to distract me.
- Laying down in bed after a long day of doing.
- Tallying up all the good, meaningful things, people, and experiences in my life.
Tell me: What’s one (or a few) of the things that makes you smile?
Please share your thoughts, positive practices and tools that keep you smiling, your favorite ways to move through the day with ease and positivity, and any inspiring stories with me in the comments.
Share this post with someone who would just love to experience more joy today, and tomorrow.
Don’t let anybody stop you from doing the things you love—not even yourself.