Rumi is one of the most inspirational and widely-read mystical poets of any age. He was a passionate seeker of the truth and placed great faith in living from the heart; these Rumi quotes about love certainly capture this spirit.
“For nothing reaches the heart but what is from the heart, or pierces the conscience but what comes from a living conscience.” – William Penn
The 13th-century Persian poet, brilliant scholar, theologian, and Sufi mystic remains one of the world’s brightest creative talents. The inspiring work of Jalāl ad-Dīn Muhammad Rūmi has been translated in many languages around the world.
For Rumi, love-based doctrine shall prevail over fear-based orders of the world. In fact, love is the only antidote to fear.
Every time we actively align with the roots of love—maybe we choose to be kind instead of cold, understanding instead of dismissive, patient instead of demanding, or good to ourselves rather than self-sabotaging–we shine a light on fear and loosen its grip on our lives. In this way we become free to live better, and to feel better.
Softening into a more loving perception gives us another chance to enjoy the moment we’re standing in, to smile at each other (even if we don’t know each other), and to hope more than we doubt.
This is but a brief collection of Rumi quotes about love, yet they are representative of the poet’s deep yearning for a life free from guilt, fear, and shame—a life journey rooted in the heart. This is a journey we might find ourselves on, too, if we looked deeply within and recognized all the shades of light and dark that resides there.
Be inspired to open your heart and listen to the message that’s speaking to you.
25 Heartfelt and Insightful Rumi Quotes about Love
1. “Let yourself be silently drawn by the strange pull of what you really love. It will not lead you astray.” – Rumi
2. “There is a candle in your heart, ready to be kindled. There is a void in your soul, ready to be filled. You feel it, don’t you?” ― Rumi
3. “I closed my mouth and spoke to you in a hundred silent ways.” ― Rumi
5. “In your light I learn how to love. In your beauty, how to make poems. You dance inside my chest where no-one sees you, but sometimes I do, and that sight becomes this art.” ― Rumi
6. “Everyone has been made for some particular work, and the desire for that work has been put in every heart.” – Rumi
8. “Close your eyes, fall in love, stay there.” – Rumi
9. “Why are you knocking at every other door? Go, knock at the door of your own heart.” ― Rumi
10. “I looked in temples, churches, and mosques. But I found the Divine within my heart.” ― Rumi
12. “Goodbyes are only for those who love with their eyes. Because for those who love with heart and soul there is no such thing as separation.” ― Rumi quotes
13. “Lovers don’t finally meet somewhere. They’re in each other all along.” ― Rumi
14. “We are born of love; Love is our mother.” – Rumi
16. “Would you become a pilgrim on the road of love? The first condition is that you make yourself humble as dust and ashes.” ― Rumi
17. “Be certain in the religion of Love there are no believers or unbelievers. Love embraces all.” – Rumi
18. “You are the soul of the soul of the Universe, and your name is Love.” ― Rumi
20. “Only from the heart can you touch the sky.” ― Rumi quotes
21. “A pen went scribbling along. When it tried to write love, it broke.” – Rumi
22. “Let the beauty we love be what we do. There are hundreds of ways to kneel and kiss the ground.” ― Rumi
24. “You have to keep breaking your heart until it opens.” ― Rumi quotes
25. “They say there is a doorway from heart to heart, but what is the use of a door when there are no walls?” ― Rumi quotes
- Do you have any favorite Rumi quotes about love that you would add to this collection?
- What does love (it doesn’t have to be romantic love) mean to you? How might you describe it in your own life?
- In what subtle ways can you open your heart and live from your heart today?
Please share your thoughts, favorite Rumi quotes about love, lessons learned in love, and any stories with me in the comments.
Share these quotes with someone who might appreciate their message.
I’ll leave you with one more quote. Though I’m not sure if this is actually a Rumi quote–it is widely attributed to Rumi but also appears in A Course in Miracles–the message is appropriate…
“Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.“
Free vintage graphic by We Lived Happily Ever After; lettering by Aim Happy.