These Rumi quotes about life are enlightening and simply beautiful displays of the human journey captured in words. May this collection of quotes and verses inspire you to observe the wonders as they occur around you.
“Poetry is the rhythmical creation of beauty in words.” – Edgar Allan Poe
Rumi remains a powerful literary, mystical, and philosophical force in today’s world.
Though I’ve previously gathered some of my favorite Rumi quotes and poems about love, this collection has an all-embracing universality with soulful expression.
Among these Rumi quotes, there’s a message for every phase of the human journey.
The beautiful thing about his work lies in its multilayered personality. You can return to one of his writings again and again, yet discover new depths each time you come back to it.
I hope you enjoy these Rumi quotes about life, and may you find something that inspires you to live fully, feel deeply, and think openly today.
43 Enlightening Rumi Quotes about Life
1. “Forget safety. Live where you fear to live. Destroy your reputation. Be notorious.” ― Rumi
2. “Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself.” ― Rumi
3. “You are not a drop in the ocean. You are the entire ocean in a drop.” ― Rumi
5. “Anyone who genuinely and consistently with both hands looks for something, will find it.” ― Rumi
6. “When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy.” ― Rumi
7. “The wound is the place where the Light enters you.” ― Rumi
9. “Stop acting so small. You are the universe in ecstatic motion.” ― Rumi
10. “Silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation.” ― Rumi
11. “If you are irritated by every rub, how will your mirror be polished?” ― Rumi
13. “Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I’ll meet you there.When the soul lies down in that grass the world is too full to talk about.” ― Rumi quotes
14. “What you seek is seeking you.” ― Rumi
15. “Everything in the universe is within you. Ask all from yourself.” ― Rumi
17. “We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.” ― Rumi quotes
18. “Respond to every call that excites your spirit.” ― Rumi
19. “You were born with wings, why prefer to crawl through life?” ― Rumi
20. “What hurts you, blesses you. Darkness is your candle.” ― Rumi
22. “Be empty of worrying. Think of who created thought! Why do you stay in prison when the door is so wide open?” ― Rumi
23. “When someone beats a rug, the blows are not against the rug, but against the dust in it.” ― Rumi
24. “Suffering is a gift. In it is hidden mercy.” ― Rumi
26. “This place is a dream. Only a sleeper considers it real. Then death comes like dawn, and you wake up laughing at what you thought was your grief.” – Rumi
27. “Don’t grieve. Anything you lose comes round in another form.” ― Rumi
28. “Death has nothing to do with going away. The sun sets. The moon sets. But they are not gone.” – Rumi
30. “Those who don’t want to change, let them sleep.” – Rumi
31. “Who could be so lucky? Who comes to a lake for water and sees the reflection of moon.” ― Rumi quotes
32. “This is a subtle truth: whatever you love, you are.” – Rumi
34. “Shine like the whole universe is yours.” – Rumi
35. “When I am silent, I have thunder hidden inside.” – Rumi
36. “Not only the thirsty seek the water, the water as well seeks the thirsty.” ― Rumi
38. “You wander from room to room hunting for the diamond necklace that is already around your neck!” ― Rumi
39. “Be a lamp, or a lifeboat, or a ladder. Help someone’s soul heal. Walk out of your house like a shepherd.” ― Rumi
40. “And you? When will you begin that long journey into yourself?” ― Rumi
42. “Peaceful is the one who’s not concerned with having more or less. Unbound by name and fame, he is free from sorrow from the world and mostly from himself.” ― Rumi
43. “Do not feel lonely, the entire universe is inside you.” – Rumi
Which of these Rumi quotes about life speaks to you at this time in your life? Please share your own favorite quotes about life, thoughts, or insights with me in the comments.
Share these Rumi quotes with someone who loves life.
Every ruin has its treasure…