Every time we’re planted in a stressful situation, we’re afforded the chance to change the way we see things, and thus to grow through it. These stress quotes are reminders that our approach can transform pressure into prosperity.
“If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” – Wayne Dyer
Lately, whenever I feel stressed out, I’ve been reminding myself that there will be miracles because of this. If a miracle is just a shift in perception, then stress offers the perfect opportunity for me to shift my thinking, raise my perspective, and see things in a new light.
It’s the most miraculous feeling–going from feeling stressed to remembering I’m blessed. It doesn’t always seem possible, though. The simple thought, “there will be miracles,” calms me down enough, anyway, so that I can at least begin the process of trusting that there’s something meaningful in this perceived problem.
What if we stopped trying to calm the storm, and focused on calming ourselves? The storm will pass anyway.
There’s this positive part of me–and I think we all have this part–that sees the good things in the middle of a monsoon. It’s a dormant force, which comes alive when we coax it. The part of me that asks, “How could things be happening for me and not just to me?” is way better trained now.
It’s a practice, really, to see through the stress and recognize it’s temporary, like everything else.
Practicing this habit of mine, I’ve begun to tell myself encouraging things like this:
- I have within me the power to transform stressful situations into opportunities to love (my life, the person, myself) better.
- I have it within me to choose another way to experience this.
- Magic exists in the mysterious. I can choose to get comfortable with the unknown by not needing to know everything. I can co-exist with what I cannot control by surrendering my need to organize the outcome. I can focus on how I’m being right now, let go of the word should, and start trusting the higher organizing power of the universe to handle this.
- The world is not my responsibility. If I relax, I’ll get out of my own way and be able to do what I’m trying to do with greater ease.
- My mess might be my message. If I rise above this, I might inspire someonw else to rise above their mess.
- I might be in the storm, but I don’t have to let the storm be in me.
- I have the capacity to create new patterns of thinking, and with them new ways of being in the world.
A hallmark of stress is thinking that things should be different than they are. Should is such a constricting word. The truth is that we can reframe the way we see the stress, and it can change everything. Unless we change inside, we will continue to see the stressful qualities of everything and anything.
I chose these stress quotes today to remind us that we all have within us the power to reframe the situations we’re in. Whatever you’re going through, you must find meaning in it if you’re to rise above it, work with it, and create something beautiful from it.
21 Stress Quotes to Inspire Personal Alchemy
1. “Try not to resist the changes that come your way. Instead let life live through you. And do not worry that your life is turning upside down. How do you know that the side you are used to is better than the one to come?” – Elif Shafak, Forty Rules of Love: A Novel of Rumi
2. “Nothing is permanent in this wicked world – not even our troubles.” – Charlie Chaplin
3. “Times of stress are also times that are signals for growth, and if we use adversity properly, we can grow through adversity.” – Rabbi Dr. Abraham Twerski
4. “The greatest weapon against stress is our ability to choose one thought over another.” – William James
6. “Our anxiety does not come from thinking about the future, but from wanting to control it.” – Kahlil Gibran
7. “Peace is the result of retraining your mind to process life as it is, rather than as you think it should be.” – Dr. Wayne W. Dyer
8. “When we long for life without difficulties, remind us that oaks grow strong in contrary winds and diamonds are made under pressure.” – Peter Marshall
10. “Don’t believe every worried thought you have. Worried thoughts are notoriously inaccurate.” – Renee Jain
11. “Stress is an alarm clock that lets you know you’re attached to something that’s not true for you.” – Byron Katie
12. “When you release stress, you come home to yourself.” – Donna Eden
14. “We can easily manage if we will only take, each day, the burden appointed to it. But the load will be too heavy for us if we carry yesterday’s burden over again today, and then add the burden of the morrow before we are required to bear it.” – John Newton (attributed)
15. “Stress is caused by being ‘here’ but wanting to be ‘there.’” – Eckhart Tolle
16. “These mountains that you are carrying, you were only supposed to climb.” – Najwa Zebian
18. “One of the best pieces of advice I ever got was from a horse master. He told me to go slow to go fast. I think that applies to everything in life. We live as though there aren’t enough hours in the day but if we do each thing calmly and carefully we will get it done quicker and with much less stress.” – Viggo Mortensen
19. “Don’t underestimate the value of doing nothing, of just going along, listening to all the things you can’t hear, and not bothering.” – Winnie the Pooh
20. “Sometimes when things fall apart, well, that’s the big opportunity to change.” – Pema Chödrön
21. “In times of stress the best thing we can do for each other is to listen with our ears and our hearts and to be assured that our questions are just as important as our answers.” – Fred Rogers
- What has successfully helped you release stress and relieve anxiety in the past?
- Think of a time when you changed inside, altered the way you approached a situation, and it turned into something meaningful instead of limiting?
- What’s one area of your life you’d like to enjoy more? Can you think of one creative solution that will help you enjoy more and stress less in this area?
Please share your thoughts, healing insights, lessons learned in finding peace, how/when you practice positive thinking, and any inspiring stories with me in the comments.
Share these stress quotes with someone you wish only peace and happiness for.
When you change, it will change.
Free flower graphic by Fox and Hazel; lettering by Aim Happy.