Relationships don’t need to be romantic in order to be based in love, which is the message of these relationship quotes–and this is a message that’s especially relevant right now.
True love can never grow in a heart that truly believes in separation.
With Valentine’s Day being the central focus this month for so many people, we often get lost in the illusion that romance is the only way to experience the divine qualities of love. We can love each other regardless of what kind of connection we share; we don’t even have to like each other to love each other.
Love is a common theme that strings together the messages shared here on this blog, but it’s not the hearts-and-chocolates, hugs-and-kisses version of love people are so used to. On a broad scale, love has been associated with romantic relationships so much that we’ve forgotten love’s true purpose.
We might even neglect our own truth in order to play the role of “perfect partner,” in order to “win over” the love that’s truly already here.
A Course in Miracles says that specialness is a substitute for Love. Love is extension, and when we withhold love in any way, we hold ourselves back from the peace that the offering would bring us. Joy is our inheritance because love is our true nature, and relationships are the perfect platform for a divine conversation to take place; they also become a catalyst for the ego’s clever delusions.
Specialness is of the ego, and it is a mistaken substitute for true Love, which is not limited to romantic relationships but naturally extends into every relationship where it’s invited (including the one we have with ourselves).
Our task is to invite the presence of love into every interaction and to learn to see through the lens of love in difficult situations. If we let love lead our relationships, they become a source of joy for the whole world.
The following relationship quotes align with the knowledge that all of our relationships can be catalysts for love in the world. Romantic or otherwise, we will dissolve separation when we learn to create more joy and equality in our interactions, and in our hearts. The notions underlying these quotes can be applied to any given relationship.
40 Relationship Quotes That Transcend Romance
1. “People aren’t defined by their relationship. The whole point is being true to yourself and not losing yourself in relationships whether romances or friendships.” – Nina Dobreu
2. “The beginning of love is to let those we love be perfectly themselves, and not to twist them to fit our own image. Otherwise we love only the reflection of ourselves we find in them.” — Thomas Merton
3.“Love takes off masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within.” — James Baldwin
5.“If one does not wish bonds broken, one should make them elastic and thereby strengthen them.” — Ardant du Picq
6. “Relationships–of all kinds–are like sand held in your hand. Held loosely, with an open hand, the sand remains where it is. The minute you close your hand and squeeze tightly to hold on, the sand trickles through your fingers. You may hold onto some of it, but most will be spilled. A relationship is like that. Held loosely, with respect and freedom for the other person, it is likely to remain intact. But hold too tightly, too possessively, and the relationship slips away and is lost.” — Kaleel Jamison
7. “Each friend represents a world in us, a world possibly not born until they arrive, and it is only by this meeting that a new world is born.” — Anais Nin
9. “When you struggle with your partner, you are struggling with yourself. Every fault you see in them touches a denied weakness in yourself.” — Deepak Chopra
10. “The possibility for rich relationships exists all around you — you simply have to open your eyes, open your mouth and most importantly, open your heart.” — Cheryl Richardson
11. “It is only when we no longer compulsively need someone that we can have a real relationship with them.” — Anthony Storr
12. “Remember that the best relationship is one in which your love for each other exceeds your need for each other.” — Unknown
14. “Some of the biggest challenges in relationships come from the fact that most people enter a relationship in order to get something: they’re trying to find someone who’s going to make them feel good. In reality, the only way a relationship will last is if you see your relationship as a place that you go to give, and not a place that you go to take.” — Anthony Robbins
15. “Since you get more joy out of giving joy to others, you should put a good deal of thought into the happiness that you are able to give.” — Eleanor Roosevelt
16. “Once the realization is accepted that even between the closest human beings infinite distances continue, a wonderful living side by side can grow, if they succeed in loving the distance between them which makes it possible for each to see the other whole against the sky.” — Rainer Maria Rilke
18. “You can kiss your family and friends good-bye and put miles between you, but at the same time you carry them with you in your heart, your mind, your stomach, because you do not just live in a world but a world lives in you.” — Frederick Buechner
19. “In true love, the smallest distance is too great, and the greatest distance can be bridged.” — Hans Nouwens
20. “How lucky am I to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard?” — A.A. Milne, Winnie the Pooh
22. “Strange is our situation here upon earth. Each of us comes for a short visit, not knowing why, yet sometimes seeming to divine a purpose. From the standpoint of daily life, however, there is one thing we do know: that man is here for the sake of other men.” — Albert Einstein
23. “You aren’t just responsible for the energy you bring into a relationship. You’re responsible for the energy you allow into it.” – Oprah
24. “Every relationship, every situation is part of a divinely created and highly specific curriculum for your soul growth.” – Marianne Williamson
26. “Spiritual relationship is far more precious than physical. Physical relationship divorced from spiritual is body without soul.” – Mahatma Gandhi
27. “Grievances are completely alien to love. Grievances attack love and keep its light obscure. If I hold grievances I am attacking love, and therefore attacking my Self.” – A Course in Miracles
28. “Forgiveness is the final form of love.” – Reinhold Niebuhr
29. “Perhaps the most important thing we ever give each other is our attention… A loving silence often has far more power to heal and to connect than the most well-intentioned words.” — Rachel Naomi Remen
31. “Let us be grateful to the people who make us happy; they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom.” — Marcel Proust
32. “When we’re incomplete, we’re always searching for somebody to complete us. When, after a few years or a few months of a relationship, we find that we’re still unfulfilled, we blame our partners and take up with somebody more promising. This can go on and on–series polygamy–until we admit that while a partner can add sweet dimensions to our lives, we, each of us, are responsible for our own fulfillment. Nobody else can provide it for us, and to believe otherwise is to delude ourselves dangerously and to program for eventual failure every relationship we enter.” — Tom Robbins
33. “True love begins when nothing is looked for in return.” – Antoine de Saint-Exupery
35. “The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed.” — Carl Jung
36. “Relationships are laboratories of the spirit. They are hospitals of the soul. They are the places where the wounds that we hold will be brought up because that’s the only way they can be healed.” – Marianne Williamson
37. “When we fulfill our function, which is to truly love ourselves and share love with others, then true happiness sets in.” – Gabrielle Bernstein
39. “A relationship is more of an assignment than a choice. We can walk away from the assignment, but we cannot walk away from the lessons it presents. We stay with a relationship until a lesson is learned, or we simply learn it another way.” – Marianne Williamson
40. “Remember, we all stumble, every one of use. That’s why it’s a comfort to go hand in hand.” — Emily Kimbrough
- In what small ways can you choose to love the other person, regardless of your relationship?
- When has opting for love over fear, anger, judgment, or jealousy fortified your peace?
- Which relationships right now are catalysts for joy?
Please share your thoughts, favorite relationship quotes, lessons learned in any of your relationships, and any stories with me in the comments.
Share these relationship quotes with someone you care about, who might enjoy these messages.
As A Course in Miracles says, “Teach only Love, for that is what you are.”
Free wreath graphic by We Lived Happily Ever After; lettering by Aim Happy.