We forget that life is beautiful. We miss the joy in the ordinary, and the little things worth celebrating while we’re on our way to bigger things. Let this short list be a stark reminder that, no matter what, there’s something beautiful worthy of your discovery, and you don’t need to go anywhere else to find it.
“You were given life; it is your duty (and also your entitlement as a human being) to find something beautiful within it, no matter how slight.” – Elizabeth Gilbert
It’s not what we see that matters—it’s how we see that makes all the difference. We’re not even responsible for what we see, in truth: We are responsible for how we choose to perceive what we see.
There’s a lot to be grateful for, but we can’t be grateful, truly, unless we experience the beauty inside, unless we really feel appreciative towards life and where we stand within its great circle. In other words, we must make gratitude real for us to understand its power.
We must focus on how we’re seeing if we’re going to contribute to the kind of world we want to live in.
I know how easy it is to forget how beautiful the world really is. Negativity, judgment, and fear (and every bout of darkness they contribute to) definitely exist, and they’re louder and more eye-catching than joy, positivity, compassion, and love. That doesn’t mean they deserve to run our life (unless that’s what we want).
A little change of perspective, and it’s much easier to see that the solution to every problem is not to promote the problem; the solution lies in a new way of thinking other than the approach that caused the problem in the first place.Life has no obligation to be perfect. Life is beautiful for its imperfections. Click To Tweet
The world may be difficult to live in at times, but it still sustains every living being, and life is beautiful, regardless of what we think about the world.
Love, not more judgment, is the solution to fear and hatred. Hope examines the possibilities that complaining shuts out. Joy is the salve for the grief we see. Healing and rebuilding is worthwhile in itself. Appreciation promotes what we want more of, and pays no energy to what we don’t wish to feed.
The key to finding beauty in the imperfections is realizing that the imperfections give us a chance to find a treasure in the ruin; we’d never have unearthed the gems that were tucked away in the rocks if the rocks were not there. Destruction gives us a chance to love each other through the pain in a way that would not have been possible before.
How can we know how things “should” be?
Life is beautiful regardless of how it’s falling apart and falling back into place.
Life is beautiful always, and beauty can be found nearly anywhere (especially in the rocks) if we look with light in our eyes. This list is just another reminder of that. The more we’re reminded, the more we can actively prioritize the way we want the world to be: the more we can contribute to a loving world.
25 Reasons Why Life Is Beautiful and Worthy of Our Love, Appreciation, Joy & Hope
1. Life is colorful. This isn’t a black-and-white movie; this is a vibrant, full-resolution, widescreen experience. How amazing is it that we are here, together, for this brief sliver of eternity, to experience life from this angle, through these eyes and hands?
2. We have a say in the amount of love we experience. We get to choose how we experience our experiences. This internal freedom is something that no one and nothing can take away from us without our permission.
3. We determine our “why.” We get to make our life a meaningful mission, and we get to choose what that means for us. The purpose of our lives is to live our lives according to our perceptions. Live YOUR life: It’s a gift.
4. We are all very different expressions of life. This keeps life on earth interesting and expansive. There really is no limit to what’s possible, because we each bring something different to the entire experience of being alive, just by being who we are.
5. There are many, many kind and caring people in this world. Their hearts are so big that they inspire goodness in us. They may not be featured on tonight’s news, but there are more compassionate, caring individuals than there are otherwise. Otherwise, we might not be here.
6. We are creative beings. We are human, but more importantly, we are living beings with the power to create what was once only in our mind. We create new life, write books, build buildings, design our landscape, invent things that once never existed, and alter reality every single day.In motion, we become our own inspiration. How extraordinarily creative is that? Click To Tweet
7. There’s a lot to see when we look up. We can always count on sunshine or starry skies, rolling clouds or distant planets, beautiful chaos, or birds taking flight. If we steal time back from our digital life and our own two feet, we’d look out and see lessons written throughout nature, ready to teach us.
8. Energy doesn’t die. That’s pretty amazing just to think about.
9. No matter how stormy the winter, spring always follows. Random things happen every day, and we have little control over the workings of the universe, but it seems that we can count on the seasons to change all the way back into themselves.
10. No matter the physical distance between us, we have ways of communicating with the ones we love. We live in a time where we can choose our method of communication, and rest assured that even when loved ones move away, we can still hear their voice and see their face.
11. There’s more to life than what meets the eye. Even when we can’t see it, the sun is always burning and the stars are always shining. The world is spinning and we stay standing on the ground. Crystals are hiding in ordinary stones, and there’s only so much our five senses can reveal.
12. It’s always the present moment. We are always right here, right now. We may not have yesterday anymore (if only in our minds), and we may never stand in tomorrow, but we always, always have this day; more accurately, we always have this moment. Everything is contained here, now, always.We don't need to chase the extraordinary for beauty; we need to show up fully, here. Click To Tweet
13. Our imagination is infinite. Our mind can be an amazing place in itself. We can travel places (to an imagined happy place, back home, back to our childhood, or to the future) without stepping physical foot in them. There are no limits to what we can dream.
14. Everyone is capable of being loved. Even strangers are capable of loving each other. We don’t need to be in an intimate relationship to reach out and touch a heart.
15. People fall in love.
16. Laughter is contagious. Smiling is contagious, too. Love turns what’s not love into love. Darkness that is brought to the light is transformed by the light into light. Appreciation gives us more to appreciate.
17. Change affirms that this too shall pass. The fact that things are always changing calls for us to retain hope during the dark times and appreciation during the bright times, and presence during both. Everything passes, yet something, somehow, remains unchanged; that thought feels amazing.
18. A small gesture can change the course of a life. Something as tiny as a sweet comment or a bear hug can lift our spirits and change the way we go about our day, which alters how the rest of our life plays out. Little things can make a big difference in life.
19. We live on a planet that supplies us with the experience of being alive. Where we came from, where we’ll go from here, is for each person to decide for now, but just being here, alive at all, is a truth worth celebrating. We are supplied the materials to experience life.To live at all is the greatest miracle of all. Click To Tweet
20. A thought can be changed. We’re not forced to stick with a certain set of beliefs for the remainder of our lifetime here on earth, even if we choose to do so. We’re free to practice new thought patterns at any time.
21. We see reflections of ourselves in others. As the poet Rumi put it, “The beauty you see in me is a reflection of you.” The frustrations we face in others are bringing up unresolved issues within ourselves. We are mirrors for one another; this is why it’s helpful when we help each other.
22. Nature is abundant with her lessons. Each summer calls for us to play again. Each autumn shows us how change can be graceful. Each winter reminds us to restore our soul. Each spring, with its promise of new life, is a call to awaken hope in our hearts.
23. It’s possible to learn something new every day. The universe is that expansive. You contribute to that expansion every day, even if you don’t mean to. Meaning to contribute, though, makes life feel that much more beautiful.
24. You are not alone. There is always someone, somewhere, at some point in time who knows exactly how you feel and is acutely familiar with the kinds of changes you’ve undergone. You are understood. Though we sometimes think we’re the only ones who could ever feel this way, life is just not that small or narrow.
25. Healing happens. When we are injured, face defeat, or experience heartbreak, we can rise again. We may never be the same as we were before, but we are granted another chance to try life, this time from a new angle (this shift in perception, some might say, is a miracle). Healing is a beautiful thing.
- Who and what inspires you to see the light, even on darker days?
- What thoughts or personal practices help you remember the beauty that’s everywhere, even when you can’t see it right in front of you?
Please share your thoughts on life’s beauty, healing lessons that have shaped the way you live today, and any stories of hope with me in the comments.
Be the light in someone’s cloud; share this list to remind them of their own blessings and worth, just because they’re alive.
Honor the beauty inherent in all experiences, even if you can’t see it. This is how you turn metal into gold, rubble into treasure, dark into light, and grief into joy.