This is a call for you to enter a place of silence without needing to add to it. There’s a sanctuary within, and some call it your still point, inner peace, blissful surrender, presence, or enlightenment. If you’re not sure how to quiet the mind (or doubt it’s even possible), these quotes might help you enter that still place that’s already there.
“Meditation is not a way of making the mind quiet. It is a way of entering the quiet that is already there—buried under the 50,000 thoughts the average person things every day.” – Deepak Chopra
When I write about quieting the mind, I truly write about entering the quiet space that’s already there; there is already space, it’s just easy to miss when we’re always in motion. Meditation can be a life-giving way to tap into that spaciousness, but we don’t need to sit with our eyes closed to realize our connection to it.
We might better understand what it means to “quiet the mind” simply by looking out into the world and praising the quiet moments we find ourselves in.
Cultivating stillness inside is akin to witnessing silence externally—in the calm breeze, in the words that are not spoken, in the silent communication between two living beings, in the absence of movement, or in the early morning moments before the world wakes up.
It’s easy to witness silence outside ourselves, and sometimes a challenge to understand what it truly means to be still inside.
I’ve come to witness silence inside as the pause between an inhale and an exhale, and in those moments when my thoughts don’t seem overwhelming or intrusive, but gentle; it’s the feeling I get when I see silence outside and know I am connected to it in some way.To quiet the mind is not to eliminate thoughts, but to soften their hold us. Click To Tweet
“Making space” doesn’t mean we create an opening that wasn’t already there—I love this term, because it really references the softening of our perspective so that we can understand the stillness that more closely resembles us, and life.
Everything we see and hear is an opinion and a perspective, which could never encapsulate the whole truth of all that is. This is why silence is not empty, but full of answers.
I hope these quotes gently encourage you to stop spinning and to sit in the not-knowing, trusting the silence without needing to identify it, listening for the answers but not forcing them to speak.
30 Quotes to Help You Quiet the Mind, Soften Your Perspective, and Stay Open to What Your 5 Senses Might Miss
1. “If we would just take a moment to look around, we would find that the universe is in constant communication with us.” – Alexandria Hotmer
2. “Look at a tree, a flower, a plant. Let your awareness rest upon it. How still they are, how deeply rooted in Being. Allow nature to teach you stillness.” – Eckhart Tolle, Stillness Speaks
3. “Being still does not mean don’t move. It means move in peace.” – E’yen A. Gardner
4. “Quiet the mind and the soul will speak.” – Ma Jaya Sati Bhagavati“Your goal is not to battle with the mind, but to witness the mind.” – Swami Muktananda Click To Tweet
6. “It’s the still nature of who we really are that, when we learn to connect with it and understand it, takes us home.” – Jennifer Williamson
7. “For quiet, sensitive souls, solitude is the golden thread that unites us with our inner world… We need quiet to connect the dots in our constellations of thought.” – Michaela Chung, The Irresistible Introvert
8. “When the heart opens completely, you will stumble upon the most powerful force in the universe – your loving eternal presence.” – Matt Kahn“As I unclutter my life, I free myself to answer the callings of my soul.” – Dr. Wayne Dyer Click To Tweet
10. “Drink your tea slowly and reverently, as if it is the axis on which the whole earth revolves – slowly, evenly, without rushing toward the future. Live the actual moment. Only this moment is life. Don’t be attached to the future. Don’t worry about things you have to do. Don’t think about getting up or taking off to do anything. Don’t think about ‘departing.’” – Thich Nhat Hanh, The Miracle of Mindfulness
11. “Relax a little, give life a chance to flow its own way, unassisted by your mind and effort. Stop directing the river’s flow.” – Mooji
12. “We begin to find and become ourselves when we notice how we are already found, already truly, entirely, wildly, messily, marvelously who we were born to be.” – Anne Lamott
13. “Today: Soak in what’s real and what’s real is unhurried. The ground. The air. The exhale. The planted seed. The shift. The season.” – Victoria Erickson
14. “How wild it was, to let it be.” – Cheryl Strayed, Wild“Let silence take you to the core of life.” – Rumi Click To Tweet
16. “Every soul innately yearns for stillness, for a space, a garden where we can till, sow, reap, and rest, and by doing so come to a deeper sense of self and our place in the universe. Silence is not an absence but a presence, not an emptiness but a repletion, a filling up.” – Anne Leclaire
17. “Silence is a source of great strength.” – Lao Tzu
18. “For things to reveal themselves to us, we need to be ready to abandon our views about them.” – Thich Nhat Hanh
19. “To make the right choices in life, you have to get in touch with your soul. To do this, you need to experience solitude, which most people are afraid of, because in the silence you hear the truth and know the solutions.” – Deepak Chopra“Retire to the center of your being, which is calmness.” – Paramhansa Yogananda Click To Tweet
21. “Here is another way of finding inner space: Become conscious of being conscious. Say or think ‘I Am’ and add nothing to it. Be aware of the stillness that follows the I Am. Sense your presence, the naked unveiled, unclothed beingness. It is untouched by young or old, rich or poor, good or bad, or any other attributes. It is the spacious womb of all creation, all form” – Eckhart Tolle, A New Earth
22. “Remember, the entrance door to the sanctuary is inside you.” – Rumi
23. “Meditation is the journey from sound to silence, from movement to stillness, from a limited identity to unlimited space.” – Sri Sri Ravi Shankar
24. “Meditation is listening to the divine within.” – Edgar Cayce“To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.” – Lao Tzu Click To Tweet
26. “Whether we’re seeking inner peace or global peace or a combination of the two, the way to experience it is to build on the foundation of unconditional openness to all that arises. Peace isn’t an experience free of challenges, free of rough and smooth, it’s an experience that’s expansive enough to include all that arises without feeling threatened.” – Pema Chödrön
27. “Inner stillness is the key to outer strength.” – Jared Brock
28. “There is a voice that doesn’t use words. Listen.” – Rumi
29. “Wisdom comes with the ability to be still. Just look and listen. No more is needed. Being still, looking, and listening activates the non-conceptual intelligence within you. Let stillness direct your words and actions.” – Eckhart Tolle, Stillness Speaks
30. “Within you is a stillness and a sanctuary to which you can retreat at any time and be yourself.” – Hermann Hesse, Siddhartha
Please share your thoughts on cultivating stillness inside, favorite peace-giving quotes from this or another collection, how you keep calm in a sometimes-crazy world, and any inspiring stories or quiet moments with me in the comments.
Share any or all of these quotes with someone who loves their quiet moments.
May you remain undisturbed by what surrounds you today, because you’ve been in touch with what is in you.