Continue to give thanks for this moment, for it truly is the only time where happiness and peace are alive and breathing. Delight in these quotes about living in the moment, because this moment is your life.
“The decision to make the present moment a friend is the end of the ego.” – Eckhart Tolle
In his book, A New Earth, Eckhart Tolle poetically explains that the present moment is often confused with what’s happening; what’s happening is the most unstable thing in the universe, yet so many are dependent on what happens for their happiness.
Maybe if we associated joy with the living moment (not what’s happening), we would uncover life’s beauty.
When we watch children play and go about living, we’ll see that they embrace life as an adventure. If we remembered to do this, too, again, we would begin to understand the beauty of the present moment.This moment is a gift, and that is why we call it the present. Click To Tweet
We know how to live in the past and we know how to obsess over what might happen, but do we embrace the moment we’re breathing in? This is all we have, and we are given everything if we give ourselves to the present moment.
Living in the moment requires no guilt, regret, doubt, or anxiety. The more you allow yourself to be right here with what is, without comparing it to the past or dreaming of the future, the more peaceful and free you become. Try to simply be aware of life as it is; try releasing the need for it to be anything else.
Tap into your fullest potential and your greatest happiness by living in the moment. May these quotes inspire you to be here.
50 Powerful Quotes about Living in the Moment
1. “My past and my future depends on today.” – Trevor Hall, Origami Crane
2. “History is more or less bunk. It’s tradition. We don’t want tradition. We want to live in the present and the only history that’s worth a tinker’s damn is the history we make today.” – Henry Ford
3. “Don’t let yesterday use up too much of today.” – Cherokee Indian Proverb“The next message you need is always right where you are.” – Ram Dass Click To Tweet
5. “Life is available only in the present moment. If you abandon the present moment you cannot live the moments of your daily life deeply.” – Thich Nhat Hanh
6. “The secret of health for both mind and body is not to mourn for the past, worry about the future, or anticipate troubles, but to live in the present moment wisely and earnestly.” – Buddha
7. “Children have neither a past nor a future. Thus they enjoy the present, which seldom happens to us.” – Jean de La BruyèreLife is a succession of moments. To live each one is to succeed. – Coreta Kent Click To Tweet
9. “Unease, anxiety, tension, stress, worry – all forms of fear – are caused by too much future, and not enough presence. Guilt, regret, resentment, grievances, sadness, bitterness, and all forms of non-forgiveness are caused by too much past, and not enough presence.” – Eckhart Tolle
10. “The only time we suffer is when we believe a thought that argues with what is. When the mind is perfectly clear, “what is” is what we want.” – Byron Katie
11. “The meeting of two eternities, the past and the future… is precisely the present moment.” – Henry David ThoreauThe first recipe for happiness is: Avoid too lengthy meditation on the past. – André Maurois Click To Tweet
13. “Remember then: there is only one time that is important – Now! It is the most important time because it is the only time when we have any power.” – Leo Tolstoy
14. “Living in the moment means letting go of the past and not waiting for the future. It means living your life consciously, aware that each moment you breathe is a gift.” – Oprah
15. “The ability to be in the present moment is a major component of mental wellness.” – Abraham Maslow“Past and future are in the mind only – I am now.” – Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj Click To Tweet
17. “You must live in the present, launch yourself on every wave, find your eternity in each moment. Fools stand on their island opportunities and look toward another land. There is no other land, there is no other life but this.” – Henry David Thoreau
18. “The past is never there when you try to go back. It exists, but only in memory. To pretend otherwise is to invite a mess.” – Chris Cobbs
19. “People like us, who believe in physics, know that the distinction between past, present, and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion.” – Albert EinsteinOne today is worth two tomorrows. – Benjamin Franklin Click To Tweet
21. “The ability to be in the present moment is a major component of mental wellness.” – Abraham Maslow
22. “There is no distance on this earth as far away as yesterday.” – Robert Nathan, So Love Returns
23. “Having spent the better part of my life trying either to relive the past or experience the future before it arrives, I have come to believe that in between these two extremes is peace.” – Author UnknownForever is composed of nows. – Emily Dickinson Click To Tweet
25. “You can clutch the past so tightly to your chest that it leaves your arms too full to embrace the present.” – Jan Glidewell
26. “If you were conscious, that is to say totally present in the Now, all negativity would dissolve almost instantly. It could not survive in your presence.” – Eckhart Tolle
27. “Today is life–the only life you are sure of. Make the most of today. Get interested in something. Shake yourself awake. Develop a hobby. Let the winds of enthusiasm sweep through you. Live today with gusto.” – Dale CarnegieLiving in the present moment creates the experience of eternity. ― Deepak Chopra Click To Tweet
29. “Every morning is a fresh beginning. Every day is the world made new. Today is a new day. Today is my world made new. I have lived all my life up to this moment, to come to this day. This moment–this day–is as good as any moment in all eternity. I shall make of this day–each moment of this day–a heaven on earth. This is my day of opportunity.” – Dan Custer
30. “Don’t let the past steal your present.” – Cherralea Morgen
31. “Stress is the distance between where your thoughts are and where your life is happening.” ― Dean JacksonIt is only possible to live happily-ever-after on a day-to-day basis. – Margaret Bonnano Click To Tweet
33. “Happiness, not in another place but this place… not for another hour, but this hour.” ― Walt Whitman
34. “Life is a great and wondrous mystery, and the only thing we know that we have for sure is what is right here right now. Don’t miss it.” – Leo Buscaglia
35. “Let us not look back in anger, nor forward in fear, but around in awareness.” – James ThurberYou are only here now; you’re only alive in this moment. ― Jon Kabat-Zinn Click To Tweet
37. “If you worry about what might be, and wonder what might have been, you will ignore what is.” – Author Unknown
38. “Realize deeply that the present moment is all you ever have. Make the Now the primary focus of your life.” – Eckhart Tolle
39. “In rivers, the water that you touch is the last of what has passed and the first of that which comes; so with present time.” – Leonardo da VinciThe living moment is everything. – D.H. Lawrence Click To Tweet
41. “Eternity is not something that begins after you are dead. It is going on all the time” – Charlotte Perkins Gilman
42. “Nothing is more precious than being in the present moment. Fully alive, fully aware.” – Thích Nhất Hạnh
43. “We seem to be going through a period of nostalgia, and everyone seems to think yesterday was better than today. I don’t think it was, and I would advise you not to wait ten years before admitting today was great. If you’re hung up on nostalgia, pretend today is yesterday and just go out and have one hell of a time.” – Art BuchwaldNothing is worth more than this day. – Johann Wolfgang von Goethe Click To Tweet
45. “… The foundation for greatness is honoring the small things of the present moment instead of pursuing the idea of greatness.” – Eckhart Tolle, A New Earth
46. “We know nothing of tomorrow; our business is to be good and happy today.” – Sydney Smith
47. “There is one thing we can do, and the happiest people are those who can do it to the limit of their ability. We can be completely present. We can be all here. We can give all our attention to the opportunity before us.” – Mark Van Doren“The past, the present and the future are really one: they are today.” – Harriet Beecher Stowe Click To Tweet
49. “I have realized that the past and future are real illusions, that they exist in the present, which is what there is and all there is.” – Alan Watts
50. “Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That is why it is called the present.” – Alice Morse Earle
To read next: I think you’ll love this positive poem about presence and these mantras to heal your relationship with time.
What helps you stay present and what gifts have you been given through your presence?
Share your thoughts, favorite quotes about living in the moment, lessons learned in presence, healing insights, and any stories with me in the comments.
Share these quotes with someone who might appreciate the message.
Do not miss out on the joy of living.