Being yourself means living the life that is most real in your heart and most true for you; you can do that with respect for the truth of others. These quotes about being yourself highlight the beauty of the individual path we each take, though it’s best to go hand in hand.
“You are enough. You are so enough, it is unbelievable how enough you are.” – Sierra Boggess
You are beautiful and you are already whole, with perfection dwelling within you. The imperfections you see are actually perfectly imperfect, depending on how you look at it. It’s like Aaron Rose says: “In the right light, at the right time, everything is extraordinary.”
We live in a world where normality is praised, but the most normal you can be is when you’re being completely yourself without resistance and fear. If you feel off your unique path in life, it’s a soothing balm to remember that you have another chance to show up for yourself by standing in your truth.
We are each different expressions of the same thing. We can express our truth while respecting the journey of others. There’s a way we can live peacefully in the midst of individuality yet cater to the light that’s within us all.
The way we honor both the oneness and the individuality of the human spirit is by doing so in love and with love. Our unique gifts bring joy and vibrancy to everything, and we will only rise when we lift others up, too. Know that when you shine your light, others will be encouraged to shine theirs as well.
I hope these quotes about being yourself inspire you to re-discover the depths of what’s inside, instead of associating your truth with the noise of what’s outside.
33 Inspiring Quotes about Being Yourself
1. “The strongest force in the universe is a human being living consistently with his identity.” – Tony Robbins
2. “To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
3. “To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting.” – e.e. cummings
5. “Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of somebody else.” – Judy Garland
6. “I think of life itself now as a wonderful play that I’ve written for myself, and so my purpose is to have the utmost fun playing my part.” – Shirley MacLaine
7. “Be who you were created to be, and you will set the world on fire.” – St. Catherine of Sienna
9. “In this age of the quantified self, we measure how many hours we slept, steps we took, calories we burned, pages we viewed… We spend more time checking our stats than our souls. We mine our life experience for data but not depth.” – Brendon Burchard, The Motivation Manifesto
10. “Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one’s definition of your life; define yourself.” – Harvey Fierstein
11. “Don’t dilute yourself for any person or any reason. You are enough! Be unapologetically you.” – Steve Maraboli
13. “Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.” – Albert Einstein
14. “I’ve finally stopped running away from myself. Who else is there better to be?” – Goldie Hawn
15. “Be yourself. Above all, let who you are, what you are, what you believe, shine through every sentence you write, every piece you finish.” – John Jakes
16. “All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own.” – Johann von Goethe, The Sorrows of Young Werther, 1774
18. “Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it’s better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.” – Marilyn Monroe
19. “Some people say you are going the wrong way, when it’s simply a way of your own.” – Angelina Jolie
20. “You must have control of the authorship of your own destiny. The pen that writes your life story must be held in your own hand.” – Irene C. Kassorla
21. “Originality is… a by-product of sincerity.” – Marianne Moore
23. “When I was a child my mother said to me, ‘If you become a soldier, you’ll be a general. If you become a monk, you’ll be the pope.’ Instead I became a painter and wound up as Picasso.” – Picasso
24. “The only way you’re going to get through life, happily, is being yourself.” – Nikki Blonsky
25. “Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.” – Mark Twain
27. “Your self-worth is determined by you. You don’t have to depend on someone telling you who you are.” – Beyoncé
28. “Never apologize for showing feeling. When you do so, you apologize for the truth.” – Benjamin Disraeli
29. “The most exhausting thing in life is being insincere.” – Anne Morrow Lindbergh
31. “It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are.” – e.e. cummings
32. “You are you. Now, isn’t that pleasant?” – Dr. Seuss
33. “I find the best way to love someone is not to change them, but instead, help them reveal the greatest version of themselves.” – Steve Maraboli
Please share your thoughts, favorite quotes about being yourself, healing insights, lessons learned in your own journey, and any stories with me in the comments.
Share these quotes with someone who might appreciate the message.
You are a light of the world, and your function is peace.