A beautiful life is not without pain. These quotes are not just pie in the sky–hopes for an amazing life that probably won’t happen–but recognition that beauty is everywhere, sometimes despite, but oftentimes because of the pain we endure.
“Often I’m so lost in my illusions that I do not see the beauty of the world, or hear the music of the world, or feel the love in the world. Today I choose to be aware of them all.” – Marianne Williamson, A Year of Miracles
These quotes highlight the beauty that can be realized in any given situation.
As Johann Wolfgang von Goethe once wrote, “We are shaped and fashioned by what we love.” Isn’t it true, that we are shaped by our experiences, and even further chiseled by how we experience those experiences?
Perhaps we’re not merely fashioned by what happens to us, but by how we love through it all, by how well we locate the treasure that’s buried within the pain.
It’s not blind optimism that I truly favor in life, but hope rooted in reality. Reality, however, can be twisted if we proclaim it to be bleak; just the same, reality is not only a series of scattered rainbows and dancing unicorns. Reality is everything, together.
There is no rainbow without rain, and that is a fact.
Things will be difficult, but every day something also is beautiful. We can’t control the losses we bear, but we can control how we go about bearing those losses. Every day, the world at large gives you a chance to perceive beauty, and it’s up to you to perceive it or not. Life may not always be easy, but beauty is often grounded in struggle.
Allow life to reveal to you its sublime beauty, and have it be revealed everywhere–not just in great moments of triumph, and not only in splendid scenic sights in nature, but in the crack in the walkway and the short stretches of silence.
It’s true that sometimes we must use a “magnifying lens,” of sorts, to heighten awareness so that the splendor of seemingly insignificant things can be revealed to us. In other words, certain situations call for us to look deeper than our own two eyes can see, if we were to find the beauty that’s inherent in all forms of creation.
When you feel it inside, others will see beauty reflected in your eyes.
19 Quotes to Remind Us All That Beauty Is Everywhere
1. “Life is amazing. And then it’s awful. And then it’s amazing again. And in between the amazing and awful it’s ordinary and mundane and routine. Breathe in the amazing, hold on through the awful, and relax and exhale during the ordinary. That’s just living heartbreaking, soul-healing, amazing, awful, ordinary life. And it’s breathtakingly beautiful.” – L.R. Knost
2. “The simple things are also the most extraordinary things, and only the wise can see them.” – Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist
3. “We’re afraid of pain–we all are. But, all the good stuff–all the wisdom and courage we need to become the people we need to be next–is actually inside the pain.” – Glennon Moyle Delton
4. “The broken will always be able to love harder than most. Once you have been in the dark, you learn to appreciate everything that shines.” – Zachry K. Douglas
6. “Consider and act with reference to the true ends of existence. This world is but the vestibule of an immortal life. Every action of our lives touches on some chord that will vibrate in eternity” – Edwin Hubbell Chapin, Dictionary of Burning Words of Brilliant Writers
7. “In the marshes the buckbean has lifted its feathery mist of flower spikes above the bed of trefoil leaves. The fimbriated flowers are a miracle of workmanship and every blossom exhibits an exquisite disorder of ragged petals finer than lace. But one needs a lens to judge of their beauty: it lies hidden from the power of our eyes, and menyanthes must have bloomed and passed a million times before there came any to perceive and salute her loveliness. The universe is full of magical things patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper.” – Eden Phillpotts, A Shadow Passes
8. “If you sense there must be more, there is more.” – Alan Cohen
9. “Once you reach the summit of your own heart you will see beauty is everywhere.” – Bryant McGill
11. “You are a child of the universe no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.” – Max Ehrmann, Desiderata
12. “I am the happiest man alive. I have that in me that can convert poverty to riches, adversity to prosperity, and I am more invulnerable than Archilles; fortune hath not one place to hit me.” – Thomas Browne
13. “The earth is rude, silent, incomprehensible at first, Nature is rude and incomprehensible at first, Be not discouraged, keep on, there are divine things well envelop’d, I swear to you there are divine things more beautiful than words can tell.” — Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass
14. “There are a thousand thousand reasons to live this life, every one of them sufficient.” — Marilynne Robinson, Gilead
16. “’There’s always a sunrise and always a sunset and it’s up to you to choose to be there for it,’ said my mother. ‘Put yourself in the way of beauty.’” – Cheryl Strayed
17. “It may be that when we no longer know what to do, we have come to our real work and when we no longer know which way to go, we have begun our real journey.” — Wendell Berry
18. “There is just wonder right in front of us, and we don’t spend enough time thinking about it.” — Michael Pollan
19. “What is required of us is that we love the difficult and learn to deal with it. In the difficult are the friendly forces, the hands that work on us. Right in the difficult we must have our joys, our happiness, our dreams: there against the depth of this background, they stand out, there for the first time we see how beautiful they are.” — Rainer Maria Rilke, Selected Letters of Rainer Maria Rilke (1960)
Please share your thoughts, favorite quotes, and any inspiring insights with me in the comments.
Share these quotes with someone who would appreciate the message.
May you always uncover the treasure in the ruin, because beauty is everywhere and in everything.