Writing brings me home, quiets the chaos, and cleanses my spirit so that I can see again what really matters in my life. This collection of quotes about writing highlights the metaphorical, as well as the literal, connection that the written word shares with life itself.
“When you see your writing as more than a hobby, profession, or craft – as a profound expression of yourself – you have no choice but to write with utter conviction and authenticity. The deepest sources of creativity within you will open.” – Jill Jepson
Not only has writing been a source of comfort and a creative outlet, but the practice has allowed me to understand myself more deeply, and my life more intimately.
For me, writing is a release and a prayer. Only recently in my life have I begun to consider my writing a spiritual practice. Because of this, I’ve allowed myself to write just because it feeds my soul. I can write simply because I enjoy the practice and its teachings, and for what I discover while I’m there.
Sometimes my writings reflect my own thoughts, and sometimes they’re fueled by something else, something that’s not quite me, but which flows through me and becomes alive in words.
Inspired writing, like inspired living, is my favorite kind. Yet to only write when you are inspired is to play a long, drawn-out waiting game. As Barry Mann said, “I think that most writers who wait until they’re inspired to write are just waiting for the fear to subside.”
You can’t always wait for inspiration before you decide to live your life. Sometimes you just need to begin, to start attracting the good energy to you through your own effort and creation. You must do your best to invite the conditions in which you wish to live.
You don’t need to be a writer to enjoy the following quotes about writing. If you keep your mind open, you will be able to see how each quote speaks of a particular quality of living. How you decipher the message, and how it relates to your life specifically, is only a matter of perspective.
21 Quotes about Writing and Life
1. “Writing is a form of personal freedom. It frees us from the mass identity we see in the making all around us. In the end, writers will write not to be outlaw heroes of some underculture but mainly to save themselves, to survive as individuals.” – Don DeLillo
2. “If you don’t think there is magic in writing, you probably won’t write anything magical.” – Terry Brooks
3. “Writing is not life, but I think that sometimes it can be a way back to life.” – Stephen King
5. “The act of writing is an act of optimism. You would not take the trouble to do it if you felt it didn’t matter.” – Edward Albee
6. “There are no laws for the novel. There have never been, nor can there ever be.” – Doris Lessing
7. “As a writer I must begin, again and again, at that most terrifying of places, the blank page. And as a person of faith I am always beginning again and again with prayer.” – Kathleen Norris
9. “There are three rules for writing the novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are.” – W. Somerset Maugham
10. “A writer never has a vacation. For a writer life consists of either writing or thinking about writing.” – Eugene Ionesco
11. “I certainly want to write BECAUSE I live! I know I don’t want to write in order to live! My writing is an overflow of the wine glass of my life, not a basin in which I wash out my ideals and expectations.” – C. JoyBell C.
13. “Writing, like life itself, is a voyage of discovery. The adventure is a metaphysical one: it is a way of approaching life indirectly, of acquiring a total rather than a partial view of the universe. The writer lives between the upper and lower worlds: he takes the path in order eventually to become the path himself.” – Henry Miller
14. “The writer is by nature a dreamer – a conscious dreamer.” – Carson McCullers
15. “The true alchemists do not change lead into gold; they change the world into words.” – William H. Gass
17. “My favorite thing in life is writing about life, specifically the parts of life concerning love. Because as far as I’m concerned, love is absolutely everything.” – Taylor Swift
18. “A professional writer is an amateur who didn’t quit.” – Richard Bach
19. “Serious writers write, inspired or not. Over time they discover that routine is a better friend than inspiration.” – Ralph Keyes
21. “There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed.” – Ernest Hemingway
- Which of these quotes about writing did you enjoy the most?
- Which quotes can you relate to your life or current emotional place?
- How do you best express yourself creatively?
- When/where do you feel most at home, at peace, in the flow, and in love with life?
Please share your own quotes, thoughts, insights, lessons, joys, and experiences with me in the comments.
Share these quotes about writing with someone who would appreciate them.
Never give up on what feeds your soul. Don’t fear new beginnings or blank pages (the unknown). Bring to life the joy and light in which you wish to live.