You don’t need to be in a romantic partnership to appreciate these quotes about relationships, because romantic love is only one way we experience the joy of loving in our lives. We can invite love into any relationship.
“Remember, we all stumble, every one of us. That’s why it’s a comfort to go hand in hand.” — Emily Kimbrough
When we can accept and humbly respect our obvious differences in form and behavior, we give ourselves (and the other person) a chance to blossom into our best selves.
Especially when we’re tempted to do otherwise, it’s an essential facet of love to choose compassion over indifference, forgiveness over resentment, and patience over jumping to judgement.
Every single relationship we have is a platform for either generating fear (drama, resent, jealousy, etc.) or elevating love (acceptance, forgiveness, appreciation, etc.).Relationships are a pivotal gateway to the experience of heaven, or hell, on earth. Click To Tweet
If we remain willing to listen for and learn the lessons that come through our relationships, we can transform each connection, whether we deem it special or ordinary, into a conversation with the divine.
May these quotes about relationships inspire you to cherish your connections and to concentrate not on what’s missing in the other person, but instead on how both of your lives can be enhanced by knowing each other.
The following thoughts can be applied to romantic partnerships, friendships, family relationships, relationships with coworkers, and even the brief encounters we make with strangers. The connections we make in love are the connections we keep, indefinitely.
40 Quotes about Relationships to Inspire Connection
1. “Constant kindness can accomplish much. As the sun makes ice melt, kindness causes misunderstanding, mistrust and hostility to evaporate.” — Albert Schweitzer
2. “I hold this to be the highest task of a bond between two people: that each should stand guard over the solitude of the other.” — Rainer Maria Rilke
3. “No relationship is ever a waste of time. If it doesn’t give you what you want, it teaches you what you don’t want.” — Unknown
4. “You can make more friends in two months by becoming interested in other people than you can in two years by trying to get other people interested in you.” — Dale Carnegie“We are not diminished when someone else is added upon.” — Jeffrey R. Holland Click To Tweet
6. “Piglet sidled up to Pooh from behind. ‘Pooh!’ he whispered. ‘Yes, Piglet?’ ‘Nothing,’ said Piglet, taking Pooh’s paw. ‘I just wanted to be sure of you.’” — A.A. Milne
7. “There will always be a reason why you meet people. Either you need them to change your life or you’re the one that will change theirs.” — Madeline Sheehan
8. “The royal road to a man’s heart is to talk to him about the things he treasures most.” — Dale Carnegie
9. “I felt it shelter to speak to you.” — Emily Dickinson“The quality of your life is the quality of your relationships.” — Anthony Robbins Click To Tweet
11. “Just remember that sometimes, the way you think about a person isn’t the way they actually are.” — John Green
12. “Trust is the glue of life. It’s the most essential ingredient in effective communication. It’s the foundational principle that holds all relationships.” — Stephen R. Covey
13. “Little kindness and courtesies are so important. In relationships, the little things are the big things.” — Stephen R. Covey
14. “I like her because she smiles at me and means it.” — Tas Soft Wind“Someone to tell it to is one of the fundamental needs of human beings.” — Miles Franklin Click To Tweet
16. “I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen.” – Ernest Hemingway
17. “True friendship comes when the silence between two people is comfortable.” — David Tyson Gentry
18. “Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, ‘What! You too? I thought I was the only one.’” — C.S. Lewis
19. “We can improve our relationships with others by leaps and bounds if we become encouragers instead of critics.” — Joyce Meyer“An eye for eye only ends up making the whole world blind.” — Mahatma Gandhi Click To Tweet
21. “We often refuse to accept an idea merely because the tone of voice in which it has been expressed is unsympathetic to us.” — Friedrich Nietzsche
22. “The greatest compliment that was ever paid me was when someone asked me what I thought, and attended to my answer.” — Henry David Thoreau
23. “We don’t meet people by accident. They are meant to cross our path for a reason.” — Unknown“Don’t smother each other. No one can grow in the shade.” — Leo Buscaglia Click To Tweet
25. “If men would consider not so much wherein they differ, as wherein they agree, there would be far less of uncharitableness and angry feeling in the world.” — Joseph Addison
26. “Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless.” — Mother Teresa
27. “Intimacy is the capacity to be rather weird with someone – and finding that that’s ok with them.” — Alain de Botton“A real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out.” — Walter Winchell Click To Tweet
29. “When you hold resentment toward another, you are bound to that person or condition by an emotional link that is stronger than steel. Forgiveness is the only way to dissolve that link and get free.” — Catherine Ponder
30. “Assumptions are the termites of relationships.” — Henry Winkler
31. “Always recognize that human individuals are ends, and do not use them as means to your end.” — Immanuel Kant
32. “You can take my factories, burn up my buildings, but give me my people and I’ll build the business right back again.” — Henry Ford“Forgiveness does not change the past, but it does enlarge the future.” — Paul Boose Click To Tweet
34. “Never idealize others. They will never live up to your expectations. Don’t over-analyze your relationships. Stop playing games. A growing relationship can only be nurtured by genuineness. “ — Leo F. Buscaglia
35. “They may forget what you said, but they will never forget how you made them feel.” — Carl W. Buechner
36. “The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing in the right place, but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.” — Lady Dorothy Nevill
37. “What you do not want done to yourself, do not do to others.” — Confucius“No road is long with good company.” — Turkish Proverb Click To Tweet
39. “A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart and can sing it back to you when you have forgotten the words.” — Donna Roberts
40. “Don’t walk in front of me; I may not follow. Don’t walk behind me; I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.” — Albert Camus
Please share your thoughts, favorite quotes about relationships, lessons you’ve learned in any of your relationships, and any stories with me in the comments.
Share these quotes about relationships with someone you’re grateful to share a connection with.
Just walk beside me, and be my friend.
Free vintage chalk graphic by We Lived Happily Ever After; lettering by Aim Happy.