These quotes about making new friends are truly celebrations of the human capacity for unconditional love and compassion. Whether you think you need a new friend or not, contemplate the sweetness that might enter your life if you offer someone a bit of your heart today.
“The pain of parting is nothing to the joy of meeting again.” ― Charles Dickens, Nicholas Nickleby
When was the last time someone gave you the peace of their heart instead of a piece of their mind? When was the last time you gave someone–a stranger, even–that blessing?
Whomever we part ways with, may we find the courage to do so with greater grace and less angst. May we recognize how we get hooked into drama and trauma, and gently let go of the beliefs that keep us stuck in a state of resent or regret. Let us be willing to say goodbye with love, and open up to new chapters in our lives (whether they’re with the same people or new friends) with curiosity and kindness.
We will have our goodbyes, but we will also be granted new hellos.
These quotes about making new friends are in reverence to the hellos in life, which don’t necessarily require any goodbyes at all (except, maybe, to any preconceived views). We can even make new friends of the same people.
Reaching out our hands to the friends we’ve yet to meet, we’re greeted by a joy that transcends what we could have known on our own. And a true joy it is, to reach out to those with whom we may have grievances, and to offer a bit of our heart instead of a piece of our mind.
I hope these quotes about making new friends inspire you to open yourself up to new adventures, because the joy of friendship is only a smile away.
25 Quotes about Making New Friends to Inspire Kind Connections
1. “We must reach out our hand in friendship and dignity both to those who would befriend us and those who would be our enemy.” – Arthur Ashe
2. “A friend may be waiting behind a stranger’s face.” ― Maya Angelou, Letter to My Daughter
3. “We need old friends to help us grow old and new friends to help us stay young.” – Letty Cottin Pogrebin
4. “You can’t stay in your corner of the Forest waiting for others to come to you. You have to go to them sometimes.” ― A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh
6. “Friends are born, not made.” ― Henry Adams, The Education of Henry Adams
7. “Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?” ― Abraham Lincoln
8. “There is no exercise better for the heart than reaching down and lifting people up.” ― John Holmes
9. “The greatest compliment that was ever paid me was when one asked me what I thought, and attended to my answer.” ― Henry David Thoreau
11. “Right now, someone you haven’t met is out there wondering what it would be like to meet someone like you.” – Unknown
12. “New friends are like new adventures. You never know what lessons they will teach you.” – Unknown
13. “We don’t meet people by accident. They are meant to cross our path for a reason.” – Unknown
14. “There is an energy field between humans. And, when we reach out in passion, it is met with an answering passion and changes the relationship forever.” – Rollo May
15. “Strangers are just friends waiting to happen.” – Rod Mckuen
17. “Love is the only force capable of transforming an enemy into friend.” – Martin Luther King, Jr.
18. “I love meeting new people; I think everyone has a story to tell. We should all listen sometimes.” – Kim Smith
19. “Go out into the world today and love the people you meet. Let your presence light new light in the hearts of others.” – Mother Teresa
20. “Don’t be afraid of new beginnings. Don’t shy away from new people, new energy, new surroundings. Embrace new chances at happiness.” – Billy Chapata
22. “Friendship has always belonged to the core of my spiritual journey.” – Henri Nouwen
23. “Everyone you meet knows something you don’t know but need to know. Learn from them.” – C.G. Jung
24. “Each friend represents a world in us, a world possibly not born until they arrive, and it is only by this meeting that a new world is born.” – Anais Nin
25. “A relationships is more of an assignment than a choice. We can walk away from the assignment, but we cannot walk away from the lessons it presents. We stay with a relationship until a lesson is learned, or we simply learn it another way.” – Marianne Williamson
Please share your thoughts, favorite quotes about making new friends, and any inspiring stories of friendship with me in the comments.
Share these quotes with a friend, old or new.
There is always room in the heart for one more friend.
Free border by Lisa Glanz; lettering by Aim Happy.