Hope is a gentle and powerful force that activates within us a fuller capacity to overcome our worldly troubles. I would say that hope is an essential (but certainly not the only) ingredient in abiding happiness. These quotes about hope will encourage you to trust, and to contribute your energy to the most positive use of the present moment.
“Those who are certain of the outcome can afford to wait, and wait without anxiety.” – A Course in Miracles
The above quote is like a whisper from my soul, telling me that all is well because it’s adamant about my arrival, all in due time.
It’s okay for us to enjoy the journey; in fact, what other meaningful thing is there to do? If we can’t enjoy the journey, we’re challenged to discover a better way to live in the world, because it’s ALL a journey.
If we’re only comfortable doubting ourselves, our life circumstances, and the outcome, then how can we expect a hopeful answer in return?
With each thought, we are asking. We’re either asking for what we want, or asking for what we don’t want, depending on what we focus our attention on most. Then, with each step, we reaffirm that which we asked for—abundance (what we want) or how we don’t have what we want, how we want to feel or how we don’t want to feel…
Instead of focusing on what’s not right in the world, what if we started contributing our focus, guiding our thoughts, based on what we do believe to be good?
We must become willing to show up in our lives with the courage to cultivate the energy we’re looking for in the first place. We’re in a better position to receive hope-filled answers if we first resolve to give hopeful thoughts.
When we meet our hopeful intentions with intentional action, we recognize that we have a role to play here. Hope for the future starts with the preferences we act on today—here, now… not in another place, but this place. Even hope is a present-moment request to enjoy the road we’re on.
I ask that you read the following quotes about hope with a mind open to what’s possible for you, and for this place. My hope is that more and more of us devote ourselves to enjoying the path we’re walking—not someday when something else has “allowed” us to be happy, but while we’re walking it.
30 Quotes about Hope, So We Can Wait without Anxiety and Enjoy the Ride
1. “Hope is the feeling we have that the feeling we have is not permanent.” – Mignon McLaughlin, The Neurotic’s Notebook, 1960
2. “We always kept in our hearts the most noble, beautiful feeling that sets human beings apart: hope.” – Manel Loureiro
3. “There is some good in this world, and it’s worth fighting for.” – J.R.R. Tolkien, The Two Towers
4. “Hope is being able to see that there is light despite all of the darkness.” – Desmond Tutu
6. “We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope.” – Martin Luther King, Jr.
7. “Hope is important because it can make the present moment less difficult to bear. If we believe that tomorrow will be better, we can bear a hardship today.” – Thich Nhat Hanh
8. “Three grand essentials to happiness in this life are something to do, something to love, and something to hope for.” – Joseph Addison
9. “When hope is hungry, everything feeds it.” – Mignon McLaughlin, The Neurotic’s Notebook, 1960
11. “Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn’t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn’t know that so it goes on flying anyway.” – Mary Kay Ash
12. “Hope is faith holding out its hand in the dark.” – George Iles
13. “My great hope is to laugh as much as I cry; to get my work done and try to love somebody and have the courage to accept the love in return.” – Maya Angelou
14. “Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning.” – Albert Einstein
16. “Hope smiles from the threshold of the year to come, whispering, ‘It will be happier.'” – Alfred Lord Tennyson
17. “You cannot swim for new horizons until you have courage to lose sight of the shore.” – William Faulkner
18. “It’s amazing how a little tomorrow can make up for a whole lot of yesterday.” – John Guare, Landscape of the Body
19. “The wings of hope carry us, soaring high above the driving winds of life.” – Ana Jacob
20. “Hope rises like a phoenix from the ashes of shattered dreams.” – S.A. Sachs
23. “Hope is independent of the apparatus of logic.” – Norman Cousins
24. “Hope is like a road in the country; there was never a road, but when many people walk on it, the road comes into existence.” – Lin Yutang
25. “The birds of hope are everywhere, listen to them sing.” – Terri Guillemets
27. “Hope never abandons you, you abandon it.” – George Weinberg
28. “Many of life’s failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.” – Thomas Edison, From Telegraph to Light Bulb with Thomas Edison
29. “You can’t see potential with the naked eye; you need to see it with your heart. That is hope.” – Jennifer Williamson
30. “Hope begins in the dark, the stubborn hope that if you just show up and try to do the right thing, the dawn will come.” – Anne Lamott
Please share your favorite quotes about hope, healing insights from your own journey, personal practices that keep you calm and optimistic, and any inspiring stories with me in the comments.
Share these quotes about hope with someone who loves a healthy does of inspiration.
No matter how deep into the darkness you’ve fallen, a light still remains inside. Listen to it whisper: “Try again, one more time.”