There is no wrong in darkness, only a brief departure from the light. To understand the darkness in others, it serves us to know our own darkness. To understand the darkness within ourselves, it serves us to take a loving stance. May this collection of quotes about darkness and light guide you to a more loving, open perspective of life.
“Enlightenment is not the byproduct of avoiding the darkness in favor of the light. It is the byproduct of taking the light of consciousness and diving deep into the darkness with it. To make the darkness conscious, is to turn the shadow into light.” – Teal Scott
Francis Bacon once said that “In order for the light to shine so brightly, the darkness must be present.” I do agree that the stars appear to shine brighter when we’ve known the darkness, and I do agree that the stars have been shining brightly this entire time.
Sometimes, we must remember the brightness during the darkest times. The dark helps us to remember that the light has been shining on us throughout our journey.
Let us show ourselves the light. As A Course In Miracles states, “The truly inspired are enlightened and cannot abide in darkness.” Allow yourself to be inspired to let go of the need to stay in darkness–fear, struggle, or stress–and to let in the light and love that would dissolve it all.
Light will not force the darkness away if we remain unwilling to let it go, but once we open the doors, the light will flood in and the darkness will dissolve in an instant.
Be the change, be the light, bring the joy, and become the hope. We’re often challenged to bring our own light to the darkness. During these times, we can choose to shine a light where there is no light and take responsibility for lighting that candle.
23 Quotes about Darkness and Light
1. “The dark and the light, they exist side by side. Sometimes overlapping, one explaining the other. The darkened path is as illuminated as the lightened…” – Raven Davies
2. “Faith is the bird that feels the light when the dawn is still dark.” – Rabindranath Tagore
3. “Hope is being able to see that there is light despite all of the darkness.” – Desmond Tutu
5. “A visionary is one who can find his way by moonlight and see the dawn before the rest of the world.” – Oscar Wilde
6. “The darkness around us might somewhat light up if we would first practice using the light we have in the place we are.” – Henry S. Haskins
8. “Give light, and the darkness will disappear of itself.” – Desiderius Erasmus
9. “Maybe you have to know the darkness before you can appreciate the light.” – Madeline L’Engle
10. “In the midst of darkness, light persists.” – Mahatma Gandhi
12. “Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.” – Martin Luther King Jr.
13. “We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.” – Plato
15. “Why not dare yourself to become a shining positive light where darkness is the only thing known?” – Edmond Mbiaka
16. “Look at how a single candle can both defy and define the darkness.” – Anne Frank
17. “I will love the light for it shows me the way, yet I will endure the darkness because it shows me the stars.” – Og Mandino
19. “Don’t fight darkness–bring the light, and darkness will disappear.” – Maharishi Mahesh Yogi
20. “The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.” – John 1:5
22. “Peace and negativity cannot coexist just as light and darkness cannot coexist.” – N. Goenka
23. “Life isn’t just about darkness or light, rather it’s about finding light within the darkness.” – Landon Parham
- In what small or big ways can you be a light in the world today?
- What situations, conversations, or circumstances are calling for you to bring more love to life?
- Are you willing to be compassionate when times are tough, instead of judging the darkness for being there?
- What precious (even positive) lessons have you learned from being in the dark?
Please share your thoughts, favorite quotes about darkness and light, any lessons or healing insights, and any experiences with me in the comments.
Share these quotes with someone who knows the darkness, and shares the light.
Fear can only grow in darkness, and we always retain the power to face it in light.