There’s no wrong in darkness, only a brief departure from the light. To understand the darkness in others, it serves us to know our own darkness. To understand the darkness within ourselves, it serves us to take a loving stance. May this collection of quotes about darkness and light guide you to a more loving, open perspective of life.
“Enlightenment is not the byproduct of avoiding the darkness in favor of the light. It is the byproduct of taking the light of consciousness and diving deep into the darkness with it. To make the darkness conscious, is to turn the shadow into light.” – Teal Scott
Francis Bacon once said, “In order for the light to shine so brightly, the darkness must be present.” I agree that the stars appear to shine brighter when we’ve known the darkness, and I also agree that the stars have been shining brightly this whole time.
The darker times make the stars shine brighter because our eyes have adjusted to the light. The dark helps us to remember that the light has been shining on us throughout our journey, whether we acknowledged it or not.Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. – Mark Twain Click To Tweet
Let’s show ourselves some light. As A Course In Miracles states, “The truly inspired are enlightened and cannot abide in darkness.” Allow yourself to be inspired to let go of the need to stay in darkness—your entire life isn’t meant to be a struggle, but if you think it is, that’s what it’ll be for you.
Light won’t force the darkness away if we remain unwilling to let it go, but once we open the doors, through our simple awareness and willingness, the light can flood in through the opening. Our honest recognition of the darkness is the opposite of avoidance, it’s how we soften our own resistance to it, and it’s how we transform it.
The trick isn’t to drown the darkness with light, or to replace the negativity with positivity, but to bring the darkness to the light, like an offering. In this offering lies the potential for something new to emerge; transformation is possible when we honor both sides of all things.
Just as we’re required to bring the darkness to the light (if we want to feel better, anyway), we’re often challenged to then transfer that light to the loveless situations in the world around us. During these times, we can choose to shine a light where there seems to be none at all, and light another candle.
I hope these thoughtfully-selected quotes about darkness and light encourage you to honor the shadow so you can bring it to the light, and thus turn it into light.
23 Quotes about Darkness and Light to Help You Appreciate Both
1. “The dark and the light, they exist side by side. Sometimes overlapping, one explaining the other. The darkened path is as illuminated as the lightened…” – Raven Davies
2. “Faith is the bird that feels the light when the dawn is still dark.” – Rabindranath Tagore
3. “Hope is being able to see that there is light despite all of the darkness.” – Desmond Tutu“However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” – Stanley Kubrick Click To Tweet
5. “A visionary is one who can find his way by moonlight and see the dawn before the rest of the world.” – Oscar Wilde
6. “The darkness around us might somewhat light up if we would first practice using the light we have in the place we are.” – Henry S. Haskins“Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise.” – Victor Hugo Click To Tweet
8. “Give light, and the darkness will disappear of itself.” – Desiderius Erasmus
9. “Maybe you have to know the darkness before you can appreciate the light.” – Madeline L’Engle
10. “In the midst of darkness, light persists.” – Mahatma Gandhi“It is often in the darkest skies that we see the brightest stars.” – Richard Evans Click To Tweet
12. “Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.” – Martin Luther King Jr.
13. “We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.” – PlatoWhat makes night within us may leave stars. – Victor Hugo Click To Tweet
15. “Why not dare yourself to become a shining positive light where darkness is the only thing known?” – Edmond Mbiaka
16. “Look at how a single candle can both defy and define the darkness.” – Anne Frank
17. “I will love the light for it shows me the way, yet I will endure the darkness because it shows me the stars.” – Og MandinoEvery moment of light and dark is a miracle. – Walt Whitman Click To Tweet
19. “Don’t fight darkness—bring the light, and darkness will disappear.” – Maharishi Mahesh Yogi
20. “The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.” – John 1:5You can't discover light, by analyzing the dark. – Wayne Dyer Click To Tweet
22. “Peace and negativity cannot coexist just as light and darkness cannot coexist.” – N. Goenka
23. “Life isn’t just about darkness or light, rather it’s about finding light within the darkness.” – Landon Parham
I’d love to know:
- What situations, conversations, or circumstances are calling for you to bring more love TO life?
- What precious (maybe positive, but not necessarily) lessons have you learned from being in the dark?
Share your thoughts, favorite quotes about darkness and light, any lessons or healing insights, and any stories with me in the comments.
Share these quotes with a fellow light-bringer.
You retain the power to bring the darkness into the light—and to point out the stars.