There is nothing ordinary about the present moment; I think we’re hardly in it enough to call it ordinary (I can only speak for myself, but I’m not alone). This is exactly why I’m sharing a refreshing collection of Eckhart Tolle quotes today. This man’s teachings cover everything from personal happiness to ending conflict and suffering in the world. Our conscious presence is key.
“I cannot tell you any spiritual truth that deep within you don’t know already. All I can do is remind you of what you have forgotten.” — Eckhart Tolle
Eckhart Tolle is one of the most original, inspiring, and sought-after spiritual teachers of our time. His books, including The Power of Now and it’s follow-up A New Earth, are like sweet elixirs for the soul living in the modern world. I’ve found a great deal of wisdom tucked away in every page, and I’m not the only one (these two books alone have sold collectively more than 10 million copies).
At the age of 29, Eckhart experienced a profound inner transformation in response to his deep suffering. The two words that sparked a radical shift that altered the course of his entire life: “Resist nothing.”
Don’t resist the pain; surrender to it, witness it, allow it, embrace it, and it will be transmuted into peace.
His teachings have become a touchstone for transformation in the lives of countless others. I find myself gravitating toward the easy way in which he explains the power of the present moment, and how our presence is the key to the peace we seek. He’s truly a living example of what spiritual awakening can look like, regardless of what you believe in now and no matter what’s happened in your past.“If peace is really what you want, then you will choose peace.” @EckhartTolle Click To Tweet
You can watch Eckhart’s videos on YouTube or explore his teachings in greater depth through his Eckhart Tolle Now offerings. I highly recommend reading any of his books, or listening to his audio version of the books (that’s how I fell in love with the messages).
Empowering and inclusive, his messages are practical yet profound—and he exudes the inner peace and fulfillment that comes from practicing the teachings every moment. He “walks the talk,” so to speak, and in doing so he resembles what’s possible for us all.
This is why I felt such a deep call to deliver the wisdom of these Eckhart Tolle quotes to my little corner of the world: The messages are so full of the light that shines through every question, doubt, and bout of darkness in this world.
30 Eckhart Tolle Quotes That Emphasize the Transformative Power of Presence
1. “Most humans are never fully present in the now, because unconsciously they believe the next moment must be more important than this one. But then you miss your whole life, which is never not now. And that’s the revelation for some people: to realize that your life is only ever now.” — Eckhart Tolle
2. “It is not uncommon for people to spend their whole life waiting to start living.” — Eckhart Tolle
3. “Forgive yourself for not being at peace. The moment you completely accept your non-peace, your non-peace is transmuted into peace. Anything you accept fully will get you there, will take you into peace. This is the miracle of surrender.” — Eckhart Tolle“Stress is caused by being 'here' but wanting to be 'there.'” @EckhartTolle Click To Tweet
5. “Life will give you whatever experience is the most helpful for the evolution of your consciousness. How do you know this is the experience you need? Because this is the experience you are having at this moment.” — Eckhart Tolle
6. “Whatever the present moment contains, accept it as if you had chosen it. Always work with it, not against it.” — Eckhart Tolle
7. “Acceptance looks like a passive state, but in reality it brings something entirely new into this world. That peace, a subtle energy vibration, is consciousness.” — Eckhart Tolle“Being must be felt. It can’t be thought.” @EckhartTolle Click To Tweet
9. “Stop looking for scraps of pleasure or fulfillment, for validation, security, or love—you have a treasure within that is infinitely greater than anything the world can offer.” — Eckhart Tolle
10. “To know yourself as the Being underneath the thinker, the stillness underneath the mental noise, the love and joy underneath the pain, is freedom, salvation, enlightenment.” — Eckhart Tolle
11. “You find peace not by rearranging the circumstances of your life, but by realizing who you are at the deepest level.” — Eckhart Tolle
12. “Your inner purpose is to awaken. It is as simple as that. You share that purpose with every other person on the planet—because it is the purpose of humanity.” — Eckhart Tolle“Worry pretends to be necessary, but serves no useful purpose.” @EckhartTolle Click To Tweet
14. “In today’s rush we all think too much, seek too much, want too much and forget about the joy of just Being.” — Eckhart Tolle
15. “The past has no power to stop you from being present now. Only your grievance about the past can do that. And what is a grievance? The baggage of old thought and emotion.” — Eckhart Tolle
16. “You do not need to always conceptualize, interpret or label everything that comes into your awareness.” — Eckhart Tolle
17. “Gratitude is an essential part of being present. When you go deeply into the present, gratitude arises spontaneously.” — Eckhart Tolle“Doing is never enough if you neglect Being.” @EckhartTolle Click To Tweet
19. “As soon as you honor the present moment, all unhappiness and struggle dissolve, and life begins to flow with joy and ease. When you act out the present-moment awareness, whatever you do becomes imbued with a sense of quality, care, and love – even the most simple action.” — Eckhart Tolle
20. “Always say ‘yes’ to the present moment. What could be more futile, more insane, than to create inner resistance to what already is? what could be more insane than to oppose life itself, which is now and always now? Surrender to what is. Say ‘yes’ to life — and see how life suddenly starts working for you rather than against you.” — Eckhart Tolle
21. “The primary cause of unhappiness is never the situation but your thoughts about it.” — Eckhart Tolle
22. “All negativity is caused by an accumulation of psychological time and denial of the present. Unease, anxiety, tension, stress, worry—all forms of fear—are caused by too much future, and not enough presence. Guilt, regret, resentment, grievances, sadness, bitterness, and all forms of non forgiveness are caused by too much past, and not enough presence.” — Eckhart Tolle“You create a good future by creating a good present.” @EckhartTolle Click To Tweet
24. “Unhappiness is created whenever you are out of alignment with the present moment.” — Eckhart Tolle
25. “The past gives you an identity and the future holds the promise of salvation, of fulfillment in whatever form. Both are illusions.” — Eckhart Tolle
26. “Wherever you are, be there totally. If you find your here and now intolerable and it makes you unhappy, you have three options: remove yourself from the situation, change it, or accept it totally. If you want to take responsibility for your life, you must choose one of those three options, and you must choose now. Then accept the consequences.” — Eckhart Tolle“It is inner stillness that will save and transform the world.” @EckhartTolle Click To Tweet
28. “Time isn’t precious at all, because it is an illusion. What you perceive as precious is not time but the one point that is out of time: the Now. That is precious indeed. The more you are focused on time—past and future—the more you miss the Now, the most precious thing there is.” — Eckhart Tolle
29. “Above all, the only thing you have to heal is the present thought. Get that right and the whole picture will change into one of harmony and joy.” — Eckhart Tolle
30. “A vital question to ask yourself frequently is: What is my relationship to the present moment?” — Eckhart Tolle
- When you’re tempted to go somewhere else in your mind, what practice helps you stay “here,” in this moment?
- What is your relationship to the present moment, now? What would you like it to be?
Please share your favorite Eckhart Tolle quotes (from this or another collection—there’s SO much more to love beyond these few quotes!), the internal shift you experience when you’re fully in the moment, and any helpful or inspiring stories with me in the comments.
Offer someone the gift of presence today; share these quotes and remind them of the peace that’s already here.
This, too, shall pass, yet something still remains. You are, still. The present is, always.