When our world comes crashing down and we come crashing down with it, we have a chance that others don’t have: we can only rise if we’ve fallen; we can only be reborn if we’ve known what it feels like to die inside. This is the story of the phoenix, and why I’m sharing these phoenix quotes today. Your story can be called “Resilience,” or “Hope,” or even “Freedom.”
“It’s important that we share our experiences with other people. Your story will heal you and your story will heal somebody else. When you tell your story, you free yourself and give other people permission to acknowledge their own story.” — Iyanla Vanzant
As it would, suffering has a way of altering how we live our lives. It’s a teacher I’m learning how not to run away from.
Suffering has changed me, but it has not crushed me—it has taken the things I thought I could not live without, and it has offered me something I may not have found this soon in my life if at all: myself.
The experience of losing my brother to suicide, of my father’s untimely death, of my grandmother’s quick descent with cancer, and of the wars being waged in my own head have left me feeling pretty broken, certainly. Yet what has happened to me has, somehow, become fuel for something new.
I have fallen in love with healing—grown fond of the stars that persist in the night sky, if you will. I know darkness, and I know what it feels like to get back up again after your world has crumbled. Hope has become my friend, and I cherish this relationship even though it sprang from tragedy and despair.
Falling apart has proven itself to be cause for arranging something new.
Purpose has driven my rising. Sharing my story has awakened a healing. I could never have imagined that this would be my story or that the story of the Phoenix, who rises from its own fallen ashes to become brighter and more beautiful than ever before, would match the way I feel inside.
To quote the American poet Mary Oliver, â€œKeep some room in your heart for the unimaginable.â€
Telling our story is healing, and not only for us but for those who want to listen and for those who are asking how they, too, can rise from the ashes of suffering. If you’re entering uncharted territory, wondering how you can ever make it through this time, I hope these Phoenix quotes offer you a glimpse of what’s possible when it seems like nothing’s left.
25 Phoenix Quotes for the Broken Who Shall Be Renewed
1. “Sometimes the worst thing that happens to you, the thing you think you can’t survive… it’s the thing that makes you better than you used to be.” ― Jennifer Weiner, Fly Away Home
2. “For a star to be born, there is one thing that must happen: a gaseous nebula must collapse. So collapse. Crumble. This is not your destruction. This is your birth.” — Zoe Skylar (I think)
3. “From the ashes, a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring…” — J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring“Hope rises like a phoenix from the ashes of shattered dreams.” – S.A. Sachs Click To Tweet
5. “I’ve died a thousand deaths, each time reinventing myself brighter, stronger, and purer than before. From the midst of destruction, I became the creator of myself. From the midst of darkness, I became my own source of light.” — Cristen Rodgers
6. “Suffering can lead to transformation. And redemption. And marvelous mystery.” — Dr. Allen Hunt
7. “Temper us in fire, and we grow stronger. When we suffer, we survive.” — Cassandre Clare, City of Heavenly Fire“What matters most is how well you walk through the fire.” — Charles Bukowski Click To Tweet
9. “Here in this suffering, all previous beliefs are called into question. They are consumed in the fire sparked and fueled by our own illusion. The pain becomes the ashes we are now entombed in. It is only when we find ourselves at this most imprisoned of junctures that we emerge again, the phoenix of our very life which is ever so much more beautiful than the last one.” — TEAL
10. “I can be changed by what happens to me. But I refuse to be reduced by it.” — Maya Angelou
11. “Life tried to crush her, but only succeeded in creating a diamond.” — John Mark Green“Faith is the bird that feels the light and sings when the dawn is still dark.” — Rabindranath Tagore Click To Tweet
13. “She never seemed shattered; to me, she was a breathtaking mosaic of the battles she’s won.” — Matt Baker
14. “And when all that was left was ashes, she would again clothe herself in flame. Rising from the dust of her past to rekindle the spark of her future. She was a Phoenix, her own salvation; rebirthed, renewed, resurrected.” — L. Torenson
15. “Often it’s the deepest pain which empowers you to grow into your highest self.” — Karen Salmansohn“A heart filled with love is like a phoenix that no cage can imprison.” — Rumi Click To Tweet
17. “Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.” — Kahlil Gibra
18. “In order to rise / From its own ashes / A phoenix / First / Must / Burn.” — Octavia E. Butler, Parable of the Talents
19. “Ready must thou be to burn thyself in thine own flame; how couldst thou become new if thou have not first become ashes!” — Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spoke Zarathustra
20. “We are more than the worst thing that’s ever happened to us. All of us need to stop apologizing for having been to hell and come back breathing.” — Clementine von Radics, Broken“The phoenix must burn to emerge.” — Janet Fitch, White Oleander Click To Tweet
22. “I no longer feared the darkness once I knew the phoenix in me would rise from the ashes.” — William C. Hannan
23. “Just like moons and like suns, With the certainty of tides, Just like hopes springing high, Still I’ll rise.” — Maya Angelou
24. “And once the storm is over, you won’t remember how you made it through, how you managed to survive. You won’t even be sure whether the storm is really over. But one thing is certain. When you come out of the storm, you won’t be the same person who walked in. That’s what this storm’s all about.” — Haruki Murakami
25. “And just as the Phoenix rose from the ashes, she too will rise. Returning from the flames, clothed in nothing but her strength, more beautiful than ever before.” — Shannen Heartzs
You may also enjoy these suffering quotes that are really about personal transformation.
Please share your favorite Phoenix quotes, positive and productive practices that help you rise above what tried to bring you down, and any inspiring stories of transformation with me in the comments.
Send a spark of hope to someone you know; send them these Phoenix quotes as a reminder of their light, their strength, and their beauty.
Wonder how you can be more beautiful than ever before.