A happiness journal takes the small day-to-day moments in life and turns them into something special.
“Journaling is like whispering to one’s self and listening at the same time.” – Bram Stoker
Inspired by the One-Sentence Journal
As part of her Happiness Project, bestselling author Gretchen Rubin promotes the happy benefits of keeping what she calls a one-sentence journal.
Each day you write down a single sentence in your journal that highlights what you’re doing that day.
Rubin has kept such a journal for nearly a decade and claims that flipping through past moments supports her present-day happiness. A Harvard Business School paper published in Psychological Science backs up Rubin’s claims. It seems that re-discovering mundane moments from the past, such as an ordinary conversation with a friend, brightens our today.
Keeping a one-sentence journal spurs us to savor and appreciate the small things in life.
My Version of the Happiness Journal
Though it sounds like a cliché statement, it is true that the little things matter. For this reason, I’ve decided to apply the concept of a one-sentence journal to my own happiness journey. The result: A One-Sentence Happiness Journal.
I already keep a gratitude journal, which I write in before I go to bed each night. Similarly, a happiness journal consists only of the positive moments in time, even and especially the small, seemingly mundane moments.
Usually, you’ll want to write down something specific to that day, but you can also include positive thoughts, conversations, achievements, events, or experiences that you’re reminiscing about or looking forward to.
Sample one-sentence positive journal entries:
- Today, I was able to practice yoga outside on my deck, under the sun, in the middle of a beautiful day.
- I told one of my good friends that I loved her, for no reason other than that it was true, and she said that it made her day.
- My favorite song came on the radio and it made me smile (and sing).
By keeping a positive log of our life, we’re encouraged to see the good in every situation.
In the middle of chaos, we can choose to dwell in the calm. We can actively provoke the light of the human spirit through the daily devotion of keeping a one-sentence happiness journal.
Benefits of Keeping a Happiness Journal
Here are a handful of benefits you may enjoy through writing in your own one-sentence happiness journal:
- Opens your eyes to the little things that enhance your happiness
- Allows you to relish in and remember the sweet moments in your life
- Helps identify the thought and behavioral patterns that lead you to, and thus away from, happiness
- Trains your brain to see the good in every day
- Highlights the sources of inspiration and motivation in your life
- Instills in you a sense of accomplishment, growth and gratitude
- Cultivates an optimistic view of the world
- Helps repel negativity and attract more positive energy
- Strengthens self-awareness and emotional intelligence
Consider the benefits of keeping a handwritten journal.
- Do you find joy in writing?
- Do you keep a gratitude journal, or any other kind of journal?
- What has writing down your thoughts and experiences helped you discover?
Please share any thoughts, helpful insights, lessons, and experiences with me in the comments.
Share this idea with someone who might enjoy it.
Count your small blessings; they will add up to a life worth loving.