The lotus is a flower with a wealth of spiritual symbolism tied to Egyptology, Hinduism, and Buddhism. Each culture lends a slightly different take, but the lotus in general is reflective of spiritual awakening, purity, potential, rebirth, creation, and eternity. These lotus flower quotes speak of hope in a hard world.
“Each day we are born again. What we do today is what matters most.” – Buddha
In order to blossom, the lotus flower must grow through mud, dirty pond water, and generally rough conditions—but it blooms anyway. Like the lotus, we too can grow through dark times and difficulties, and we can rise again and again to shine from a pure place within.
The lotus is a reminder that in a word riddled with fear, we can stay loving inside and, one by one, open our petals to spread that peace into the world.
When the lotus flower first begins to sprout, it does so underwater. Though conditions are tough, the lotus heeds the call of the sun each morning, breaks the surface of the water and blooms untouched by the mud; each petal remains clean and pure. Closing at night, it sinks below the water’s surface, only to resurface again in the morning.
Fully grounded in earth, yet aspiring toward the divine, the lotus flower lives unsoiled by its surroundings, ever blooming from within toward the light. It’s a growth of pure beauty from the mud of its origins, a testament to the potential that lies within and which is revealed through persistence.
May these lotus flower quotes inspire you to free yourself from harsh conditions by trusting the ancient power within you. No matter how muddy your surroundings, remember that you’re budding with potential.
Keep smiling, and keep growing toward the warmth and light of truth, love, compassion, and joy.
The conditions that produce life are not always beautiful, but it doesn’t prevent beauty from rising, opening its petals, and blooming with joy into the light.
20 Lotus Flower Quotes Worth Pondering
1. “As a lotus flower is born in water, grows in water and rises out of water to stand above it unsoiled, so I, born in the world, raised in the world having overcome the world, live unsoiled by the world.” – Buddha
2. “The lotus comes from the murkiest water but grows into the purest thing.” – Nita Ambani
3. “Just like the lotus we too have the ability to rise from the mud, bloom out of the darkness and radiate into the world.” – Unknown
4. “There is the mud, and there is the lotus that grows out of the mud. We need the mud in order to make the lotus.” – Thich Nhat Hanh
6. “As the lotus rises on its stalk unsoiled by the mud and water, so the wise one speaks of peace and is unstained by the opinions of the world.” – Buddha
7. “If you feel lost, disappointed, hesitant, or weak, return to yourself, to who you are, here and now and when you get there, you will discover yourself, like a lotus flower in full bloom, even in a muddy pond, beautiful and strong.” – Masaru Emoto
8. “By means of microscopic observation and astronomical projection the lotus flower can become the foundation for an entire theory of the universe and an agent whereby we may perceive Truth.” – Yukio Mishima
10. “Whenever you should doubt your self-worth, remember the lotus flower. Even though it plunges to life from beneath the mud, it does not allow the dirt that surrounds it to affect its growth or beauty.” – Suzy Kassem
11. “Out of the mud of your fears, struggles, pain and confusion, the lotus flower of your inner heart will spontaneously grow.” – Anon I Mus
12. “Live life in its totality. And living in the world, don’t be of it. Live in the world like a lotus flower in water: it lives in water, but the water touches it not.” – Osho
14. “It’s like growing lotus flowers. You cannot grow lotus flowers on marble. You have to grow them on the mud. Without mud you cannot have lotus flowers. Without suffering, you have no way to learn how to be understanding and compassionate.” – Thich Nhat Hanh
15. “The lotus flower blooms most beautifully from the deepest and thickest mud.” – Buddhist Proverb
16. “Your heart is full of fertile seeds, waiting to sprout. Just as a lotus flower springs from the mire to bloom splendidly, the interaction of the cosmic breath causes the flower of the spirit to bloom and bear fruit in this world.” – Morihei Ueshiba
18. “The lotus flower is a reminder of the beauty that comes from change, the magic that a new beginning brings, and the seed of potential that’s buried in the most unlikely places.” – J.W.
19. “No mud, no lotus.” – Thich Nhat Hanh
20. “The lotus is the most beautiful flower, whose petals open one by one. But it will only grow in the mud. In order to grow and gain wisdom, first you must have the mud — the obstacles of life and its suffering. … The mud speaks of the common ground that humans share, no matter what our stations in life. … Whether we have it all or we have nothing, we are all faced with the same obstacles: sadness, loss, illness, dying and death. If we are to strive as human beings to gain more wisdom, more kindness and more compassion, we must have the intention to grow as a lotus and open each petal one by one.” – Goldie Hawn
- Which of these lotus flower quotes did you enjoy most?
- Which messages can you relate to your own life experiences?
- What obstacles have you worked through in the past, risen above, and grown beyond?
Please share your thoughts, insights, lessons, and experiences with me in the comments.
Share these lotus flower quotes with someone who may appreciate their messages.
Through our suffering, may we become compassionate. Through our obstacles, may we find opportunities to speak of peace. Let us allow no mud to grace our inner petals, for we’re spiritual beings learning how to awaken to what we really are, one petal at a time.
Lotus flower background from The Pond Blog; lettering by Aim Happy.