These loneliness quotes serve to remind us all that we’re never truly alone (no matter how unlikely that might seem sometimes) because all life is so intricately connected to the various expressions of itself. We are part of all life; the universe is also inside, because there is nowhere it is not.
I turn the darkness over to the light, and love reenters my sight.
Being by yourself is how you learn to be yourself. Even though being alone helps us communicate and connect with our deepest truth, we can confuse being alone with loneliness. In loneliness there is a sense of separation from all else and it causes suffering. You might see walls between “me and them,” instead of bridges.
If you ever feel alone in your thoughts or actions, remember that you’re part of everything and every soul you have ever touched with your thoughts and actions, and it’s all part of you. Perhaps there are no walls, but only bridges.
Perhaps we’re all connected by an invisible thread that transcends the notion of time and space.“You are not a drop in the ocean. You are the entire ocean in a drop.” – Rumi Click To Tweet
No matter how surrounded we are by people and things, and things to do, loneliness can creep in without us even realizing (or with our full awareness). This can be an emotional signal that we’re looking outside ourselves for happiness, comfort, and fulfillment.
The feeling of loneliness is also a chance to consult the quiet voice within for the solution to our perceived lack.
Forgive yourself for identifying with the low-level energy of fear. Request to see things differently. Surrender your fearful realities, and you will feel the love again.
Loneliness is not a sign that love has left you alone or behind; love is the invisible guide that brings you back home, to yourself, connected with all else. It’s always there, always within and around you, and though it’s easy to forget and misplace, your blindness to love’s presence will never lead to the disappearance of love in your life.
The following loneliness quotes are for all of us, because we all feel the sharp pang of loneliness from time to time. Yet with a few enlightening reminders, we can again feel the inherent call to lift ourselves out of the darkness, back into our own light—through the power of forgiveness, surrender, and a shift in perception from fear to love.
23 Loneliness Quotes to Lift You Up
1. “What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.” — Ralph Waldo Emerson
2. “I wish I could show you when you are lonely or in darkness the astonishing light of your own being.” — Hafiz of Persia
3. “An invisible thread connects those who are destined to meet, regardless or time, place, and circumstance. The thread may stretch or tangle. But it will never break.” — Ancient Chinese Proverb
4. “The soul that sees beauty may sometimes walk alone.” — Johann Wolfgange Von Goethe“Being lonely gives you something to live for: love.” — Unknown Click To Tweet
6. “You can’t connect the dots looking forward; you can only connect them looking backwards. So you have to trust that the dots will somehow connect in your future. You have to trust in something – your gut, destiny, life, karma, whatever. This approach has never let me down, and it has made all the difference in my life.” — Steve Jobs
7. “It’s the rest in a piece of music that gives it resonance and shape.” — Pico Iyer
8. “A season of loneliness and isolation is when the caterpillar gets its wings. Remember that next time you feel alone.” — Mandy Hale“You cannot be lonely if you like the person you’re alone with.” — Dr. Wayne Dyer Click To Tweet
10. “People are lonely because they build walls instead of bridges.” — Joseph F. Newton Men
11. “For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.” — Audrey Hepburn
12. “The greatest thing in the world is to know how to belong to oneself.” — Michel de Montaigne
13. “The world is so empty if one thinks only of mountains, rivers and cities; but to know someone who thinks and feels with us, and who, though distant, is close to us in spirit, this makes the earth for us an inhabited garden.” — Johann Wolfgang von Goethe“Sometimes I need only to stand where I am to be blessed.” — Mary Oliver Click To Tweet
15. “The life I touch for good or ill will touch another life, and that in turn another, until who knows where the trembling stops or in what far place my touch will be felt.” — Frederick Buechner
16. “Everything amazing about the universe is inside of you, and the two are inseparable.” — Carl Sagan
17. “We all carry, inside us, people who came before us.” — Liam CallananClick To Tweet
19. “Only through our connectedness to others can we really know and enhance the self. And only through working on the self can we begin to enhance our connectedness.” — Harriet Goldhor Lerner
20. “There are as many atoms in a single molecule of your DNA as there are stars in the typical galaxy. We are, each of us, a little universe.” — Neil Degrasse Tyson
21. “Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.” — Chief SeattleClick To Tweet
23. “Many people need desperately to receive this message: ‘I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people don’t care about them. You are not alone.'” — Kurt Vonnegut
Please share your thoughts, any loneliness quotes that spoke to you, healing insights, lessons in love, and any stories with me in the comments.
Share this with someone you love who could use a little lift today.
You are loved far beyond the mind’s doubts, and much deeper than the ego can reach. The love that exists for you cannot even be imagined.
Free vintage fade wreath by We Lived Happily Ever After; lettering by Aim Happy.