If you want to inspire others, make the world a better place, leave an impact, promote what you love, or carve a new path for yourself, then you’re a leader. We’re always teaching, with every step we take. These leadership quotes are for each and every one of us who wants to be a light in the world; no special job title required.
“Be there for others, but never leave yourself behind.” – Didinsky
I start this collection of quotes off with the above quote for this reason: leading others doesn’t mean forgetting yourself; it means bringing the full might of your best self to the world. You lead by your example of how YOU are, and the way you live in the world.
You don’t need a fancy title or millions of followers to lead the way, whichever way you’re going. By doing what you love and serving that love to the world, you rise up to inspire others to rise, too.
You don’t need to be perfect, either. How you handle your imperfections does the world a much greater service than being perfect ever will. The mistakes and setbacks you face, when used as a platform for a different tomorrow, will awaken the hearts of all those who see you rise.
Remember that even the smallest act of kindness toward another is entangled with self-love: when you truly care for yourself, you’re caring for others; when you truly wish to serve others, you must fill yourself up. Helping yourself is one way to help others, and vice versa.
When you’re at ease with and within yourself, others feel at ease with you, and you naturally unlock people’s potential to be their authentic selves. Whatever you do with love sets the tone for more love around you.
Never underestimate your capacity to make the world a better place; every change without begins within.
If you want to make an impression on the world, you’re going to have to be a little different from the world. I hope these leadership quotes inspire you to inspire others with your unique gifts, loving presence, and commitment to staying true to who you are.
30 Leadership Quotes to Inspire You to Bring Joy to the World
1. “Leadership is no longer about your position. It’s now more about your passion for excellence and making a difference. You can lead without a title.” – Robin Sharma
2. “Leadership is about making others better as a result of your presence and making sure that impact lasts in your absence.” – Sheryl Sandberg
3. “If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.” – John Quincy Adams
5. “People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” – Maya Angelou
6. “I slept and dreamt that life was joy. I awoke and saw that life was service. I acted and behold, service was joy.” – Rabindranath Tagore
7. “If you desire to make a difference in the world, you must be different from the world.” – Elaine S. Dalton
9. “To make a difference in someone’s life, you don’t have to be brilliant, rich, beautiful, or perfect. You just have to care.” – Mandy Hale
10. “What you do has far greater impact than what you say.” – Stephen Covey
11. “People may hear your words, but they feel your attitude.” – John Maxwell
12. “Your smile is your logo, your personality is your business card, how you leave others feeling after having an experience with you becomes your trademark.” – Jay Danzie
14. “We but mirror the world. All the tendencies present in the outer world are to be found in the world of our body. If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change. As a man changes his own nature, so does the attitude of the world change towards him. This is the divine mystery supreme. A wonderful thing it is and the source of our happiness. We need not wait to see what others do.” – Mahatma Gandhi
15. “Be somebody who makes everyone feel like somebody.” – Kid President
16. “There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.” – Edith Wharton
18. “Being a leader is like being a lady. If you have to go around telling people you are one, you aren’t.” – Margaret Thatcher
19. “Lead from the back – and let others believe they are in front.” – Nelson Mandela
20. “Not the cry, but the flight of a wild duck, leads the flock to fly and follow.” – Chinese Proverb
22. “Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.” – Harold R. McAlindon
23. “Looking after oneself, one looks after others. Looking after others, one looks after oneself.” – Sedaka Sutta
24. “We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give.” – Winston Churchill
25. “Don’t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.” – Howard Thurman
27. “I want to inspire people. I want someone to look at me and say, ‘Because of you, I didn’t give up.’” – Unknown
28. “The things you are passionate about are not random–they are your calling.” – Fabienne Fredrickson
29. “Never worry about numbers. Help one person at a time, and always start with the person nearest you.” – Mother Teresa
30. “… What I can do is offer myself, wholehearted and present, to walk with the people I love through the fear and the mess. That’s all any of us can do. That’s what we’re here for.” – Shauna Niequist
- If you could make one difference in your corner of the world today, what would you like to see and how could you initiate that change?
- When has someone you admired inspired you to live more truthfully, openly, or lovingly?
Please share your thoughts, favorite leadership quotes, lessons learned in leadership and teaching, and any inspiring stories of making a difference with me in the comments.
Share these leadership quotes with someone who could use a burst of inspiration today.
As A Course in Miracles says, “Teach only love, for that is what you are.”