Life is best lived intentionally, since, in order to control how we experience our experiences (which to me is everything), we need to be conscious, awake, aware—on purpose. To keep your spirits high and your motivation strong, use these intention quotes as symbols of what’s possible. If there’s struggle, for instance, there’s even a possibility of joy right in the middle of it. How’s that for a life well lived?
“The standard of success in life isn’t the things. It isn’t the money or the stuff. It is absolutely the amount of joy that you feel.” — Abraham-Hicks
I’m setting intentions constantly through the repetition of affirmations, meditation, the gathering and dissemination of quotes, and moments of silence (among other things). I think of these actions as conscious re-directs, and I use them when I need to change my attitude—naturally, I practice daily.
The new year is the perfect time to renew our intentions or altogether rewrite them, setting out to live our lives as fully and happily as possible. Of course, intentions are the gateways to intentional action and without that actionable energy, even our best intentions get swept under the rug or carried out with the shifting winds.Intention is only valuable when coupled with action. Click To Tweet
Above all else, these intention quotes are about living from the intentions we’ve set.
As you might guess, I started gathering these intention quotes because I needed to change my thoughts. Reading inspirational quotes interrupts the downward spiral of thinking long enough for me to feel a new energy, which coincidentally sets me up for the conscious exploration of where I want to go from here.
Intention is a powerful marker for success, no matter how you define success. Define it on your own terms this year and every day, and practice getting crystal clear on where you want to go from this place, and how you want to experience your next experience.
Clarity first begets success later, even if you’re just clear about the next right action.
Oh, and if you’re struggling to get out of a rut, try honoring the struggle before you plow ahead any further. Just stop and honor it. There will be work to do, but it’s not the experience of hard work we need to bypass to live a good life; it’s how we go about working that determines success.
Don’t mind the obstacles. They’re just tests to see if you really want it.
30 Intention Quotes That are Perfect for the New Year
1. “Quantum science suggests the existence of many possible futures for each moment of our lives. Each future lies in a state of rest until it is awakened by choices made in the present.” — Gregg Braden
2. “If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise.” — Robert Fritz
3. “At the center of your being you have the answer; you know who you are and you know what you want.” — Lao Tzu
4. “Clarity is the child of careful thought and mindful exploration.” — Brendon Burchard
5. “The first step in crafting a life you want is to get rid of everything you don’t.” — Joshua Becker“Change is inevitable. Growth is intentional.” — Glenda Cloud Click To Tweet
7. “It’s not enough to be industrious; so are the ants. What are you industrious about?” — Henry David Thoreau, in a letter to H.G.O. Blake
8. “Guard your time fiercely. Be generous with it, but be intentional about it.” — David duChemin
9. “I don’t have to chase extraordinary moments to find happiness—it’s right in front of me if I’m paying attention and practicing gratitude.” — Brené Brown
10. “Gratitude in advance is the most powerful creative force in the Universe.” — Neale Donald Walsh
11. “You create a good future by creating a good present.” — Eckhart Tolle“No clarity, no change; no goals, no growth.” – Brendon Burchard, The Motivation Manifesto Click To Tweet
13. “As a single footstep will not make a path on the earth, so a single thought will not make a pathway in the mind. To make a deep physical path, we walk again and again. To make a deep mental path, we must think over and over the kind of thoughts we wish to dominate our lives.” — Wilfred Arlan Peterson, The Art of Living, Day by Day
14. “When I get to the end of my life, and I ask one final ‘What have I done?’ let my answer be: ‘I have done love.’” — Jennifer Pastiloff
15. “You must get more emotionally committed to what you are doing, and reach that point where success is not just an occasional preference, but a soul-deep necessity.” — Brendon Burchard
16. “My philosophy is that not only are you responsible for your life but doing the best at this moment puts you in the best place for the next moment.” — Oprah Winfrey
17. “The most wonderful thing in the world is somebody who knows who they are… and knows what they were created to do.” — Bishop T.D. Jakes“Our intention creates our reality.” @DrWayneWDyer Click To Tweet
19. “Today, will you choose courage or comfort? You cannot have both. There is nothing comfortable about being brave with your life.” — Brené Brown
20. “Buried in your heart is a powerful knowing, telling you what you’d love to dedicate your life to.” — Dr. John F. Demartini
21. “When we allow ourselves to get into the wonder and magnificence of the guidance that is around us and within us, that’s when we truly start living.” — Gabby Bernstein
22. “Until you live every moment without assuming there will be another moment, then you’re not really living on purpose.” — Bishop T.D. Jakes
23. “Freedom and victory belong to those who remain true and strong despite temptation to be dishonest and weak.” – Brendon Burchard, The Motivation Manifesto
24. “Intention is more than wishful thinking—it’s willful direction. It is a philosophy of the heart put into practice, a consistency of conscious patterns of thought, energy, and action. Through intention, we see more and create with more clarity, passion, and authenticity. Our attention then becomes a spotlight for every shred of supporting evidence that we’re on the right path.” — Jennifer Williamson“Breathing deeply and releasing fear will help you get to where you want to be.” — Iynla Vanzant Click To Tweet
26. “I learned this, at least, by my experiment; that if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.” — Henry David Thoreau, Walden
27. “One life on this earth is all that we get, whether it is enough or not enough, and the obvious conclusion would seem to be that at the very least we are fools if we do not live it as fully and bravely and beautifully as we can.” — Frederick Buechner
28. “The best day of your life is the one on which you decide your life is your own. No apologies or excuses. No one to lean on, rely on, or blame. The gift is yours—it is an amazing journey—and you alone are responsible for the quality of it. This is the day your life really begins.” — Bob Moawad
29. “To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all.” — Oscar Wilde, The Soul of Man Under Socialism
30. “Sometimes the fastest way to get back into the game is to expect something from yourself again.” — Brendon Burchard, High Performance Habits
If you’re looking for more motivational quotes, I suggest these from The Motivation Manifesto.
Intention is direction. Which way are you walking this year?
- Can you tell me ONE intention for how you want to live your life this year?
- How do you want to FEEL this year? What feeling intentions are you setting?
My favorite quote from this list? “Guard your time fiercely. Be generous with it, but be intentional about it.” I’ve got to explore this one more; there’s some life-changing truth in there for me to practice.
Please share your favorite intention quotes, which intentions you’re ringing in the new year with, inspiring stories of personal transformation (big and tiny), and anything else related to motivation, living with heart, and welcoming another chance.
Share these intention quotes with a friend who wants to feel amazing (among other things) this year.
Hold the vision. Feel the energy. Honor the struggle. Feel the energy (still). Trust the process.