Going back home can mean many things depending on what “home” means to you. Whether home means people, a place, a state of mind, or peace inside, I think many of these quotes about home will resonate with you, too.
“Going home means getting comfortable being who you are and who your soul really wants to be. There is no strain with that. The strain and tension come when we’re not being who our soul wants to be and we’re someplace where our soul doesn’t feel at home.” – Melody Beattie
Perhaps the biggest element of home is the presence of love–not just in the form of our relationships with each other, but in the formlessness of our internal dwelling place. Like Marianne Williamson says, “The outer kingdom is not our real home. The inner kingdom is our everything.”
It’s only through love that we can ever feel truly at home. When we get to this state of feeling at home with and within ourselves, we can be at home with others; we can relax into the inner peace that is our true home, so to speak, and that is what builds a home here on earth.
If home is where the heart is, then home is a state of the heart, more so than a physical place to arrive at.“I have arrived. I am home. My destination is in each step.” – Thich Nhat Hanh Click To Tweet
The following quotes about home reflect the notion that love is what builds a happy home, from the inside out. The outer home is but a reflection of the internal home. Fill the internal space with love, and filling the home with love becomes a natural response. Thus, your home will always be a true reflection of you.
When there’s love in the home, there’s joy in the heart. When there’s joy in the heart, there’s love in the home.
Though we won’t all have the same memories to hold on to that bring us back home in our hearts and minds, there will be moments that make you appreciate what you have and who you have become. These quotes about home make me appreciate where I’ve been and what I will always have within me, and I hope they do the same for you.
30 Heartfelt Quotes about Home
1. “A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it.” – George Moore
2. “A home is a kingdom of its own in the midst of the world, a stronghold amid life’s storms and stresses, a refuge, even a sanctuary.” – Dietrich Bonhoeffer
3. “Maybe at the heart of all our traveling is the dream of someday, somehow, getting Home.” – Frederick Buechner“There’s no place like home.” – Dorothy, The Wizard of Oz Click To Tweet
5. “The magic thing about home is that it feels good to leave, and it feels even better to come back.” – Wendy Wunder
6. “Home, the spot of earth supremely blest, a dearer, sweeter spot than all the rest.” – Robert Montgomery
7. “Give the ones you love wings to fly, roots to come back and reasons to stay.” – Dalai Lama“We carry our homes within us, which enables us to fly.” – John Cage Click To Tweet
9. “Home should be an anchor, a port in a storm, a refuge, a happy place in which to dwell, a place where we are loved and where we can love.” – Marvin J. Ashton
10. “Nothing can bring a real sense of security into the home except true love.” – Billy Graham
11. “There is nothing like staying at home for real comfort.” – Jane Austen
12. “Home is wherever you leave everything you love and never question that it will be there when you return.” – Leo Christopher“Being happy at home is the end of all ambition.” – Samuel Johnson Click To Tweet
14. “It didn’t matter how big our house was; it mattered that there was love in it.” – Peter Buffett
15. “The strength of a nation derives from the integrity of the home.” – Confucius
16. “Home should be an oratorio of the memory, singing to all our after life melodies and harmonies of old remembered joy.” – Henry Ward Beecher
17. “The home should be the treasure chest of living.” – Le Corbusier“Home is the nicest word there is.” – Laura Ingalls Wilder Click To Tweet
19. “A loving atmosphere in your home is the foundation for your life.” – Unknown (possibly from Dalai Lama XIV)
20. “It’s not about how big the house is. It’s how happy the home is.” – Unknown
21. “He is the happiest, be he king or peasant, who finds peace in his home.” – Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
22. “The ache for home lives in all of us, the safe place where we can go as we are and not be questioned.” – Maya Angelou“I’ve learned that home isn’t a place, it’s a feeling.” – Cecelia Ahearn Click To Tweet
24. “A good home must be made, not bought.” – Joyce Maynard
25. “Where we love is home – home that our feet may leave, but not our hearts.” – Oliver Wendell Holmes
26. “No one realizes how beautiful it is to travel until he comes home and rests his head on his old, familiar pillow.” – Lin Yutang
27. “He traveled in order to come home.” – William Trevor“When I was at home, I was in a better place.” – William Shakespeare Click To Tweet
29. “The prospect of going home is very appealing.” – David Ginola
30. “There is beauty all around, when there’s love at home.” – John H. McNaughton
- What do you love about home?
- What does home mean to you? How would you explain the feeling of being home? What reminds you of home?
- Can you think of a specific time when you rejoiced in going back home?
Please share your thoughts, favorite quotes about home, fond memories, and any loving stories with me in the comments.
Share these quotes about home with someone who would enjoy them.
Ultimately, home is not a place to live in, yet it is a place to live in–from within. Home is but a room in the heart.