What better way to travel this life than in the company of a good friend? Celebrate the people you love today with these heartfelt and inspiring friendship quotes.
“If there ever comes a day when we can’t be together, keep me in your heart. I’ll stay there forever.” – A. Milne, Winnie the Pooh
Friendship is one of life’s greatest treasures. It is a blessing to go hand in hand, so to speak, with like-hearted individuals who make you feel at home wherever you go, and at ease with yourself.
Through true friendship, we are endowed with the great opportunity to grow into who we might be.
By surrounding ourselves with people who nourish not only our minds, but our hearts and our spirits, we can walk this earth in greater truth. The compassion we receive unconditionally from a friend is a call for us to be forgiving of our own mistakes, and to stay true to our innermost callings.
Friendship is one of the surest paths out of the illusion of separation.
Who is that friend who listens to what you say, and listens to what you don’t say? Who is that friend who encourages each positive step forward, and is always there to catch you when you fall? Who do you feel close to, no matter how long it’s been?
Enjoy the following friendship quotes and share them with those who are dear to your heart.
No matter the distance in time or space, there is no way to separate friends who have left their footprints on each others’ hearts.
40 Friendship Quotes That Speak to the Heart
1. “Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: ‘What! You too? I thought I was the only one.” ― C.S. Lewis
2. “It is not so much our friends’ help that helps us as the confident knowledge that they will help us.” – Epicurus
3. “In the spiritual life nowhere do our ideals meet the actual more truly than in how we relate to each other, in how we make, sustain and are friends.” – James Ishmael Ford
5. “We need old friends to help us grow old and new friends to help us stay young.” – Letty Cottin Pogrebin
6. “I cannot even imagine where I would be today were it not for that handful of friends who have given me a heart full of joy. Let’s face it, friends make life a lot more fun.” – Charles R. Swindoll
7. “Friendship is the hardest thing in the world to explain. It’s not something you learn in school. But if you haven’t learned the meaning of friendship, you really haven’t learned anything.” ― Muhammad Ali
9. “A friend is one that knows you as you are, understands where you have been, accepts what you have become, and still, gently allows you to grow.” ― William Shakespeare
10. “A friend is someone who knows all about you and still loves you.” – Elbert Hubbard
11. “Wishing to be friends is quick work, but friendship is a slow ripening fruit.” ― Aristotle
12. “Listening is a magnetic and strange thing, a creative force. The friends who listen to us are the ones we move toward. When we are listened to, it creates us, makes us unfold and expand.” – Shel Silverstein
14. “Be true to your work, your word, and your friend.” – Henry David Thoreau
15. “The most beautiful discovery true friends make is that they can grow separately without growing apart.” – Elizabeth Foley
16. “Friends can help each other. A true friend is someone who lets you have total freedom to be yourself – and especially to feel. Or, not feel. Whatever you happen to be feeling at the moment is fine with them. That’s what real love amounts to – letting a person be what he really is.” ― Jim Morrison
17. “The ornament of a house is the friends who frequent it.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
19. “What do you most value in your friends? Their continued existence.” — Christopher Hitchens, Hitch-22: A Memoir
20. “Without friends, no one would want to live, even if he had all other goods.” ― Aristotle, The Nicomachean Ethics
21. “No man is a failure who has friends.” — It’s a Wonderful Life
22. “True friendship isn’t about being inseparable; it’s about being separated and nothing changes.” – Unknown
24. “The best mirror is an old friend.” ― George Herbert
25. “We all need friends with whom we can speak of our deepest concerns, and who do not fear to speak the truth in love to us.” – Margaret Guenther
26. “I always felt that the great high privilege, relief and comfort of friendship was that one had to explain nothing.” – Katherine Mansfield
27. “A friend is one before whom I may think aloud.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
29. “A friend is someone with whom you dare to be yourself.” – Frank Crane
30. “All love that has not friendship for its base, is like a mansion built upon the sand.” – Ella Wheeler Wilcox
31. “If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day so I never have to live without you.” ― Joan Powers, Pooh’s Little Instruction Book
32. “There is nothing I would not do for those who are really my friends. I have no notion of loving people by halves, it is not my nature.” ― Jane Austen, Northanger Abbey
34. “We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.” – Robert Louis Stevenson
35. “Nothing makes the earth seem so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.” ― Henry David Thoreau
36. “The verb ‘to love’ in Persian is ‘to have a friend.’ ‘I love you’ translated literally is ‘I have you as a friend,’ and ‘I don’t like you’ simply means ‘I don’t have you as a friend.’” – Shusha Guppy
38. “Friendship is like standing on wet cement. The longer you stay, the harder it’s to leave, and you can never go without leaving your footprints behind.” – Moi
39. “One of the most beautiful qualities of true friendship is to understand and to be understood.” – Lucius Annaeus Seneca
40. “Each friend represents a world in us, a world possibly not born until they arrive, and it is only by this meeting that a new world is born.” – Anais Nin
Please share your thoughts, favorite friendship quotes, and any heartfelt stories of friendship with me in the comments.
Share these friendship quotes with someone who is a blessing in your life.
Keep room for your friend in your heart, and they will always have a place to call home.