Lemon water is a wonderful thing. It boasts some amazing beneficial qualities that render it a worthy addition to your morning routine. One of my favorite benefits of lemon water is that it’s so easy to incorporate into daily life.
“There’s no better way to energize your body, mind, and spirit than by taking care of yourself.” – Stephanie Tourles
Let’s break down the health benefits of lemon water in a super simple way: bullet points.
Some Happy Health Benefits of Lemon Water
- Vitamin C content supports the immune system and adrenal system, reducing the effects of stress. It also assists in collagen production and combats free radical damage to the cells, which improves the appearance of skin.
- Ascorbic acid content promotes wound healing, calms inflammation, and supports healthy bones, connective tissue, and cartilage.
- Potassium content can improve heart health, brain and nervous system functioning, control blood pressure, and is linked to decreased symptoms of depression and anxiety.
- The scent of lemon has a calming effect on the nervous system.
- Water-soluble fiber content (aka, Pectin) creates a feeling of fullness and supports a healthy appetite and weight.
- Vitamin P (bioflavonoids) levels are linked to improved blood flow and capillary permeability (the flow of molecules through the blood vessel wall).
- Antiseptic qualities help to kill off bad bacteria in the mouth.
- Alkaline properties help balance pH levels of urine (but not the blood).
- Helps cleanse the bowel, urinary tract, and liver.
- Aids digestion by stimulating the production of bile.
- Helps relieve symptoms of heartburn, indigestion, burping, and bloating.
Why I Drink Warm Lemon Water Every Morning
Drinking water first thing in the morning re-hydrates and energizes your body, without the distraction of anything else in your system. Drinking warm lemon water may help calm the digestive system, as its temperature is closer to your own body’s temperature.
Lemon water could even eventually replace your caffeine kick in the morning!
Since lemon juice may wear down the protective enamel of your teeth, diluting it in a cup of warm water probably helps. You can also follow it up with a 30-second rinse using plain filtered water.
The Easy Peasy (Warm) Lemon Water Recipe
This recipe really is super easy:
- Squeeze one half or whole lemon into your favorite mug.
- Pour warm water into the mug. I mix hot water from the tea kettle with a splash of cold water.
- Drink slowly and enjoy.
Start with one quarter lemon until you’re used to the taste. I was surprised by how quickly this became part of my morning routine. Three days into it, I was hooked, and that was two years ago.
You can also re-use the lemon for a refreshing glass of lemon water during the day. Add a spoonful of raw honey for added benefits.
- Do you drink warm lemon water in the morning?
- Do you drink lemon water during the day?
- Have you experienced any of the above mentioned health benefits of lemon water?
Please share your thoughts, favorite ways to drink water, any recipes you like, or benefits you’ve experienced with me in the comments.
Share these benefits and this recipe with someone who loves water or would appreciate a new morning routine.
Wake up on the bright side of bed, and keep smiling.