A broken heart is oftentimes the only sure way to awaken the sleeping soul. In other words, when your heart is breaking, you’re experiencing a transformation that seems unbearable in the moment, yet it is calling forth an unshakable strength that you didn’t even know you had in you.
“We draw maps of each other’s pasts. Heartbreaks colored in black. Grief outlined in purple. The happiest times shaded yellow. This is how we learn each other. We are so scared and brave. We are so terrified and willing. We rewrite the definition of brave and it is this: love again. love again. love again.” — Fortesa Latifi
Most of us have experienced loss in some form, sometimes minor and sometimes catastrophic. I understand what it’s like to love and to lose, and I also know what it’s like to re-enter the light after sitting in that darkness for so long.
I’ve come to believe, wholeheartedly and with unwavering commitment, that love never dies.
If your heart feels like it’s breaking, remind yourself that love is still present, and nothing we do will ever change that fact. I’m not talking about the kind of love we often think of when we use this word–not romantic, intimate-relationship kind of love, but the all-powerful, ever-present, intelligent energy that supports life.
I know how hard it can be to listen to advice with a broken heart, but this is my attempt to give you a glimmer of hope.
I hope some of these words bring you comfort and light in a dark situation, whatever it is you’re going through right now. Healing is on its way.
46 Comforting Thoughts for a Broken Heart That Needs Healing
1. “Sadness flies on the wings of the morning and out of the heart of darkness comes the light.” — Jean Giraudoux
2. Every dusk has its dawn.
3. There is someone who has stood in the same dark place as you. They will assure you that if you wait for the sun to rise again, you will hear the song of hope playing softly with promise.
4. You are not alone, ever, in your thoughts. Ever. Ever.
5. A broken heart means you have loved something, you have tried for something, and you have let life teach you.“A wounded deer leaps highest.” — Emily Dickinson Click To Tweet
7. Your grief is here to teach you something. It does not ask you to let go of love, but quite the opposite–it asks that you love, again and again.
8. In the depths of sorrow we will eventually find an unwavering light.
9. Your heart is stronger than you realize.
10. Being consumed by anger, sadness, envy, or frustration is somehow, ironically, just what you need to make a positive change.
11. Your experience of grief is powerful, yet so is your ability to love and heal.“What happens when people open their hearts? They get better.” — Haruki Murakami Click To Tweet
13. None of us has all the answers.
14. We all need help sometimes, and we are wise to seek it, accept it, and praise it.
15. It is okay to be unhappy sometimes. Sometimes, it is normal, healthy, and necessary to be unhappy in order to be happy.
16. The transition through this difficult time is a courageous and honorable journey, and it is one you are meant to pursue.
17. A good life is a collection of moments, some good and some bad, that ultimately form the puzzle of your life. Do not judge the whole picture by one piece of the puzzle, but lay your hope in the pieces that have yet to fall in place.Love often makes itself visible in pain. Click To Tweet
19. If you feel the tears welling up, let yourself cry. Let your tears carry the emotions out of your system. Let them blot out the darkness and lead you down the road to healing.
20. To your suffering add understanding, patience, love, openness, and the willingness to remain vulnerable.
21. Grief is frightening, painful, overwhelming, and sometimes lonely, yet it is somehow and sometimes the only way to experience a deeper sense of love, joy, and peace. Your grief is uniquely yours, but somehow it is intrinsically connected to everyone and everything in this universe.“Not all those who wander are lost.” — J.R.R. Tolkien Click To Tweet
23. This too shall pass. This situation is not your final destination, and something good is happening right now on your behalf.
24. Oftentimes, what seems like a painful ending is really the doorway to a necessary new beginning.
25. Some questions do not have answers, and for those questions, the answer is always: love.
26. A broken heart does not mean you are broken. The crack is there to let the light in.Let your tears come. Let them water your soul. —Eileen Mayhew Click To Tweet
28. Life as we know it may end, but love is eternal. And where there is love, there is life.
29. No time is ever wasted. Every single thing has value, and every stage is a step in your journey.
30. “Never forget, you have value. You are worth time, worth energy, worth worship. Your delicate enchantments are a holy wine. Silver aura of my moon. Song of my air. My afternoon shadows. My divine messenger. The literature of stars is in your very pores.” — Benedict Smith
31. When the sun has set, wipe away your tears so you can see the stars.
32. Every interaction, rejection, and heartbreaking lesson is an opportunity to change yourself.
33. Every time you think you’re being rejected, you’re actually being redirected to something better.“The soul would have no rainbow had the eyes no tears. Click To Tweet
35. Your wounds become your wisdom.
36. Your heart has infinite depth. Though breaking, it still beats with devotion. Finding yourself in a dark hole of despair means that you’re traveling the depths of your heart and your soul, and when you come out on the other side (which you will) your journey will be marked by a spiritual depth, joy, compassion, and a deeper appreciation of your blessings.
37. “The moment that you feel that, just possibly, you’re walking down the street naked, exposing too much of your heart and your mind and what exists on the inside, showing too much of yourself. That’s the moment you may be starting to get it right.” — Neil Gaiman
38. Where there is pain, there is also love. Where there is sorrow, there is also hope. Where there is darkness, there is always light.
39. A good life is judged not by the leaves that fall, but by the flowers that grow.Forgiving what we cannot forget creates a new way to remember… – Lewis B. Smedes Click To Tweet
41. You cannot change other people. If they are not ready or willing to change, there is no fault or blame to be assigned. This is not their time, but it is your time to make a change.
42. The genuine, loving emotion that breaks your heart is oftentimes the same emotion that will heal it.“There is no remedy for love but to love more.” — Henry David Thoreau Click To Tweet
44. You are here. You have survived 100% of your worst days. That’s a pretty good track record.
45. From this point forward, your happiness and your unhappiness will be determined not by your circumstances, but by your thoughts about your circumstances.
46. “A final comfort that is small, but not cold: The heart is the only broken instrument that works.” — T.E. Kalem
Please share your own words of encouragement, comforting thoughts, uplifting quotes, or any stories of peace with me in the comments.
Share these healing words with someone you care about today, who might need to read them.
You are loved, always.