When you begin to love yourself, you begin the most self-fulfilling and life-giving journey of all. Let this collection of self-love quotes shed light on your innermost light, and encourage you to let your compassion go full circle.
“Go and love someone exactly as they are. And then watch how quickly they transform into the greatest, truest version of themselves. When one feels seen and appreciated in their own essence, one is instantly empowered.” – Wes Angelozzi
Who are you really? Are you a walking and talking body, and that’s all? Is there something more to you than your skin, hair, nails, and face? I think so. I really, really do believe you’re more than what meets the eye, more than your past, and more than your thoughts.
If you’ve ever encountered negative, self-limiting, self-defeating thoughts, you probably remember how that makes you feel–probably not so good. When that does happen (because no one is immune to those kinds of thoughts), you’re offered a chance to choose what you believe in.
Like Louise Hay says, “It’s only a thought, and a thought can be changed.” The reason you can stop feeding a certain thought, and start giving more attention to another thought, is because you’re more than the thought–you’re the one who gives it power, or not.
Just like it might be difficult to think good thoughts about yourself or your life, it can become increasingly difficult to stay in a self-defeating mindset; the key is to practice self-loving patterns. Self-love is a lifelong, and life-changing, practice. It will touch every experience you have, and every person around you, as you practice it.
Though it may sound cliché, loving yourself truly does allow everything else to fall into place.
Forgive yourself for ever having believed that you weren’t enough, that you didn’t deserve to be happy, and that you couldn’t become who you could be. At the very least, your willingness to be more forgiving of yourself will unlock the gates that have kept you enclosed in your own forsaken kingdom for far too long.
I hope these self-love quotes open your eyes, and your heart, to how incomplete your love has been when it didn’t include yourself.
23 Self-Love Quotes to Inspire Compassionate Thoughts
1. “Love yourself first and everything else falls in line. You really have to love yourself to get anything done in this world.” – Lucille Ball
2. “Real beauty isn’t about symmetry or weight or makeup; it’s about looking life right in the face and seeing all its magnificence reflected in your own.” – Valerie Monroe
3. “Unlike self-criticism, which asks if you’re good enough, self-compassion asks what’s good for you?” – Kristin Neff
4. “Within my body are all the sacred places of the world, and the most profound pilgrimage I can ever make is within my own body.” – Saraha“You alone are enough. You have nothing to prove to anybody.” – Maya Angelou Click To Tweet
6. “When you recover or discover something that nourishes your soul and brings joy, care enough about yourself to make room for it in your life.” – Jean Shinoda Bolen
7. “Too many people overvalue what they are not and undervalue what they are.” – Malcolm S. Forbes
8. “Never say anything about yourself that you do not want to come true.” – Brian Tracy
9. “Perhaps we should love ourselves so fiercely, that when others see us they know exactly how it should be done.” – Rudy FranciscoNo one can make you feel inferior without your consent. – Eleanor Roosevelt Click To Tweet
11. “Because one believes in oneself, one doesn’t try to convince others. Because one is content with oneself, one doesn’t need others’ approval. Because one accepts oneself, the whole world accepts him or her.” – Lao-Tzu
12. “A strong, positive self-image is the best possible preparation for success in life.” – Dr. Joyce Brothers
13. “Owning our story and loving ourselves through that process is the bravest thing that we’ll ever do.” – Brené BrownNo one is you, and that is your power. – Dave Grohl Click To Tweet
15. “You have been criticizing yourself for years, and it hasn’t worked. Try approving of yourself and see what happens.” – Louise L. Hay
16. “In a society that profits from your self doubt, liking yourself is a rebellious act.” – Caroline Caldwell
17. “The one thing you can control is how you treat yourself. And that one thing can change everything.” – Leeana Tankersley
18. “By being yourself, you put something beautiful into the world that was not there before.” – Edwin Elliot“Forgiveness is an act of self-love.” – Don Miguel Ruiz Click To Tweet
20. “Authenticity is the daily practice of letting go of who we think we’re supposed to be and embracing who we are.” – Brené Brown
21. “Be nice to yourself. It’s hard to be happy when someone is mean to you all the time.” – Christine Arylo
22. “People say that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and I say the most liberating thing about beauty is realizing you are the beholder.” – Salma Hayek
23. “Be kinder to yourself. And then let your kindness flood the world.” – Pema Chödron
- How do you show yourself love; how do you show up for yourself?
- Which self-defeating beliefs have you transformed into self-empowering beliefs?
- In what ways has loving yourself improved all your relationships, and enhanced all areas of your life?
Please share your thoughts, favorite self-love quotes, self-empowering beliefs, little ways you show yourself love, and any inspiring stories with me in the comments.
Share these self-love quotes with someone who is worthy of their own compassion.
Love yourself like you’re not waiting for anyone else to do it first.
Free pattern by Fox and Hazel; lettering by Aim Happy.