These happiness quotes might be the pick-me-up you need to keep going with a smile on your face and hope in your heart. Since it’s easy to get pulled out of our peace (and it’s no fun being a pessimist), I think we could all use a little more light on tough days. Here’s some light…
When you enjoy your life, it’s impossible not to awaken joy in others.
Happiness isn’t about never being dragged down by the negativity or drama or trauma of the world; it’s about your comeback rate. One of the most powerful aspects of your happiness practice is how quickly you can come back home, to joy and to love.
I truly believe that joy is our natural resting state. When we’re enveloped in joy, everything seems so much easier and more lighthearted–not because something outside has changed, but because we have changed.
By choosing to see differently, we enhance our capacity to experience our experiences in a whole new way. How we approach the things, people, events, and situations in our lives plays a tremendous role in what life feels like, and in how life plays out from there.
Happiness is what happens when we acknowledge how we’re feeling now, with honesty and compassion, and ask that we realign with our “right mind,” as A Course in Miracles calls it–with who we really are.
One shift of perception might be all that it takes to be happy again, to come home to that internal treasury-house of being alive–to true abundance.
Sure, we’re going to stumble. We’ll think we’re not worthy of happiness or peace or feeling better, and sometimes we’ll think that being happy is overrated. We might even think we’re supposed to hold on to resentments, mistakes, and the past, because we look around and see everyone else doing it.
A big piece of suffering, from what I’ve experienced, is forgetting that we’re more alike than we are different. The separation we see is the root cause of our unhappiness–it divides us from each other, from the present moment, from a good life, and from life itself. That’s why when we say “my life” we’re actually forgetting that we ARE life.
We’re a species that’s forgotten its inherent connection with everything. When we remember, though, a joy greets us where we are. Remembering that we’re not as separate as we believe brings a kind of gratefulness with it. It feels like we’ve returned to our true nature, if only for a brief moment.
For more joyful experiences and a deeper connection with yourself, others, and life itself, practice being so completely immersed in the present moment that every pain falls away–just for this moment. It’s a way of consciously choosing happiness by making the present moment a friend.
I hope these happiness quotes empower your decision to pause during your day, stand in the light for a moment, and walk in a new direction.
30 Happiness Quotes to Support Your Return to Joy
1. “Write the bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble.” – Arabic Parable
2. “After all it is those who have a deep and real inner life who are best able to deal with the irritating details of outer life.” – Evelyn Underhill
3. “Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, when one only remembers to turn on the light.” – Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
5. “What is happiness? The feeling that power is growing, that resistance is overcome.” – Friedrich Nietzsche, The Antichrist
6. “Happiness requires that we give up a worldly orientation—not worldly things, but a worldly attachment to things. We have to surrender all outcomes. We have to live here but appreciate the joke.” – Marianne Williamson
7. “Happiness lies in the fulfillment of the spirit through the body.” – Cyril Connolly, The Unquiet Grave
8. “The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.” – Anonymous
10. “We are not responsible for what our eyes see. We are responsible for how we perceive what we are seeing.” – Gabby Bernstein
11. “Happiness cannot be traveled to, owned, earned, or worn. It is the spiritual experience of living every minute with love, grace, and gratitude.” – Denis Waitley
12. “Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.” – Mahatma Gandhi
14. “A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes.” – Hugh Downs
15. “It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that makes happiness.” – Charles Spurgeon
16. “The most important thing is to enjoy your life—to be happy—it’s all that matters.” – Audrey Hepburn
17. “Happiness is a perfume you cannot pour on others without getting a few drops on yourself.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
19. “We act as though comfort and luxury were the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us happy is something to be enthusiastic about.” – Charles Kingsley
20. “Garner up pleasant thoughts in your mind, for pleasant thoughts make pleasant lives.” – John Wilkins
21. “Undisturbed calmness of mind is attained by cultivating friendliness toward the happy, compassion for the unhappy, delight in the virtuous, and indifference toward the wicked.” ― Patañjali, The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali
23. “Practice love until you remember that you are love.” – Swami Sai Premananda
24. “The thing that is really hard, and really amazing, is giving up on being perfect and beginning the work of becoming yourself.” – Anna Quindlen
25. “Mindfulness helps you go home to the present. And every time you go there and recognize a condition of happiness that you have, happiness comes.” – Thich Nhat Hanh
26. “Happiness doesn’t depend on any external conditions, it is governed by our mental attitude.” – Dale Carnegie
28. “Happiness is not something ready-made. It comes from your own actions.” – Dalai Lama
29. “Find out where joy resides, and give it a voice far beyond singing. For to miss the joy is to miss all.” – Robert Louis Stevenson
30. “For myself, I am an optimist — it does not seem to be much use being anything else.” – Sir Winston Churchill
- In what big or small ways can you live differently, more connected, today?
- What situations or beliefs call for your realignment with joy?
- What thoughts, practices, habits, or activities make peace, gratitude, and harmony more accessible for you?
Please share your thoughts, favorite happiness quotes, healing insights from your own journey, and any inspiring stories of transforming pain into joy with me in the comments.
Share these happiness quotes with someone you care about today; give them some light.
When you’re absorbed in what you don’t want, consciously refocus on how quickly you can come back home. Focus on what you do want.