There’s a certain kind of magic in the morning, and it’s no wonder why: it’s the perfect time and place to generate momentum in your thoughts and feelings. Beginning each day with morning affirmations is a powerful habit that contributes to your mood, choices, and how you experience the rest of the day.
“When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive – to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love.” – Marcus Aurelius
We’ve probably all experienced that spiraling of negative emotions that began with just one thought. The more we think about something, the more traction that thought pattern gains. If we wake up with a stressful thought, stubbing our toe on the door is all it takes to generate enough momentum for a bad day.
Everything begins with just one thought. If we pay attention to how we’re feeling, we’ll recognize that our feelings are indicators of what we’ve been thinking.
Morning affirmations are such a powerful way of locking in positive feelings, before the day’s events have a chance to creep into our psyche and control how we experience everything that happens.
How to Practice Affirmations
Here are a few tips for practicing these morning affirmations successfully:
Choose statements that resonate with you.
If the affirmations feel out of reach or untrue, make some adjustments. Incorporate the word “willing” into the statement to make it more fitting for the moment. The affirmation must be believable at your core in order to spark positive change.
Affirm in the first-person, present tense.
“I will” speaks of the future, which is always just out of reach. Speak of the present moment by beginning your affirming statements with phrases such as:
- “I am…”
- “I am willing…”
- “I attract…”
- “I am learning…”
- “I can…”
- “I appreciate…”
- “I accept…”
- “I am forgiving…”
- “I am in the process of…”
Adapt the phrase to this day.
Design your morning affirmations around your day. What qualities do you want to cultivate today? Each day is a new beginning that brings with it new strength, solutions, and opportunities. Repeat affirmations that make sense in real time.
Give it your heartfelt sincerity.
In other words, mean what you say. Really feel the meaning of the words as you think them, write them, speak them, and visualize them coming to fruition. Fuel the words with a knowing energy; know that whatever you’re affirming is true.
Affirmations impact your reality with repetition. I repeat each affirmation three times in the morning, whispering them to myself (and the universe) before my feet hit the floor. Remember and repeat each statement during the day as needed. Set an alarm on your phone as a reminder.
The more often you use affirmations, the more your brain will seek information and opportunities to support what you’re affirming.
Don’t give up.
Practice and patience are required for any new habit to stick. Practice your morning affirmations of choice every single morning for an entire week to start, and see what happens. The way you experience your experiences is what’s going to evolve, and that’ll change everything.
Repeating affirmations is a consistent conscious choice that we make and express through the power of thought, feeling, speech, and ultimately action. Affirmations can work miracles.
Carve a positive path, and generate momentum during the still moments upon waking, with whichever morning affirmations call to you.
5 Powerful Morning Affirmations to Generate Positive Momentum Every Day
1. Thank you.
Before you even let yourself get out of bed in the morning, think grateful thoughts and feel the gratitude. Be emphatic. This might just be the singular most powerful habit you cultivate. Appreciation is part of the alchemy of personal transformation–powerful enough to turn a stressed out person into someone abundant in joy.
Here are a few variations of this affirmation which you may find more fitting:
- I appreciate those I love and who love me.
- I appreciate everyone who has entered my life and shaped my present.
- I appreciate everything that brought me to this moment, where all change is possible.
- I am grateful to be alive, breathing, and experiencing life as only I can.
- I am thankful for this new day, another chance, a fresh beginning.
- My blessings are stronger than my problems.
- I am grateful.
- Thank you, universe, for supporting me in ways I can’t even understand.
- Thank you for giving me another day to bring joy to the world.
- Thank you.
Learn how to keep a gratitude journal, which can help solidify your appreciation.
2. I choose love.
Love isn’t just an emotion we feel when we’re “in love” with someone else. We can experience a more vibrant, abundant life by prioritizing love in all situations. Unloving things happen all of the time, but it’s our decision whether we fuel the cycle of unhappiness, feed the fears, or make a stand for peace by being that peace.
Feel free to personalize this affirmation like so:
- I choose compassion over bitterness.
- I choose forgiveness over resentment.
- I am capable of transforming negative experiences into opportunities to love.
- I prioritize the thoughts that make me feel good.
- I am practicing patience with others and events because it fuels my joy.
- My heart is open enough to receive love in any scenario.
- Love needs no defense, so I don’t contribute to attack thoughts.
- I am consciously being a more loving person.
- I choose love.
- I AM love.
3. I am enough.
This one can be difficult for many of us. Be gentle. The truth is that when we fill ourselves up with positive, loving momentum, we’re better able to be a light in the world. When we work from a foundation of “enoughness,” everything we do becomes infused with more sincerity and joy, and the world adjusts.
If this statement doesn’t ring true for you at this point in your life, try any of the following:
- I am willing to love and accept myself.
- I am willing to love my body for the life it allows me to experience.
- I am learning to love myself.
- Piece by piece, I accept myself as whole at my core.
- I am enough.
- I am worthy of happiness, and I’m meant to be a bigger source of joy for the world.
- I am worthy of love, and I’m loved, because I am alive.
- I am more than my thoughts, pain, and past.
- I am in the process of forgiving myself for anything that didn’t make me feel joyous to be alive.
- All that I need, though it might not have manifested yet, is inside of me and available to me.
4. I can forgive.
Forgiveness cracks open our protective shells that keep us closed off from the depth of being alive. The beauty of forgiveness is that it benefits both the giver and receiver. It’s a soothing balm for the past which allows you to live more fully in the present, where all positive change is possible.
Try any of these:
- I am willing to forgive others for their trespasses.
- I am learning to forgive myself for everything.
- I am willing to let go of past hurts and reorganize my thoughts to see present possibilities.
- I am willing to change the way I look at things.
- I can always change my mind; it takes no time at all, only a deep awareness.
- I am looking for the good in everyone, the light in every dark place, and the gem underneath the rubble. I know it’s there, even if it’s buried from sight.
- I am creating a future that’s unlike the past, and more like the present moment.
5. I trust life.
Holding the belief that our life does not suck–but that it’s here for us and it’s living through us–is life changing. A little trust goes a very long way. Faith opens doors that we didn’t see before, because our focus isn’t narrowed and constricted, but spacious. Trusting life is akin to allowing life to live us, breathe us, and bring us home to peace.
This morning affirmation, or any of the following variations, can impact your entire perspective on life and alter how you go about approaching everything:
- The universe has my back.
- The universe is conspiring on behalf of the highest good of all.
- Life isn’t just happening to me; it’s happening FOR me.
- I can trust in the process even when I don’t understand it.
- I am willing to shift my perspective and experience something new.
- Something wonderful is on its way.
- I attract exactly what I need for my growth and ultimate happiness.
- I live in the present moment, where all possibility lives.
- I trust life.
Outer experiences aren’t usually ours to control and manipulate. Repeating morning affirmations is one way we can direct and redirect our internal experiences, aligning and realigning with joy no matter what.
- Do you practice affirmations?
- Which morning affirmations are you trying next?
- Can you think of a time when your wholehearted belief in something positive made a big difference in how your life played out?
Please share your thoughts, favorite positive morning affirmations, morning rituals for peace, and any inspiring stories of a shift with me in the comments.
Share these morning affirmations with someone who loves using the power of positive momentum.
Begin each day with a grateful heart, a loving perspective, an accepting attitude, a forgiving approach, and faithful energy. Life will open up to you.