A son’s first hero and a daughter’s first love—that’s what a wonderful gift a great father is to his children. These Father’s Day quotes are in honor of my dad who I miss dearly, but whose love and light will forever guide my way.
“I talk about him, not because I’m constantly living in pain. I’m not anymore, but in my world, this is my normal, and I’d rather live honestly and out loud. Joy, love, happiness, and gratefulness are my everyday, but so are death, loss, heartache, and grief.” – Scribbles and Crumbs
Every word here is born of love…
Losing my beloved father continues to be one of my most difficult experiences. I yearn for his presence yet I still learn from his wisdom. I keep learning that every tragic incident is an invitation to turn adversity into opportunity.
I keep learning that there’s a chance to smile and find humor even in times of sickness and pain… that’s something my dad always did.
I keep learning about how love never dies, no matter how much a wound stings.
My father and my mother were, and are, and always will be my greatest role models, two forces joined as one. They built an amazingly strong marriage, weathering the toughest times together. Through good times and bad, in sickness and in health, they spent decades surpassing milestones and enjoying life to the fullest.
Witnessing my parents’ united strength—my mother’s unfaltering dedication and my father’s impenetrable good spirit—it has become clear to me that we can all make it through any difficulty, together.
The following Father’s Day quotes are in honor of my dad, and they’re for every person who understands what it’s like to part from your first love, your hero, and your role model, even if only temporarily.
In the end, I do think that everything physical is temporary, including despair and every experience of pain. The one thing that does linger? The spirit of love.
22 Father’s Day Quotes for Fathers Who Have Passed
1. “If there ever comes a day when we can’t be together, keep me in your heart. I’ll stay there forever.” – Winnie the Pooh
2. “My appreciation for my father’s greatness cannot be measured.” – Jennifer Williamson
3. “It is not flesh and blood but the heart which makes us fathers and sons.” – Johann Friedrich Von Schiller
4. “Dad, your guiding hand on my shoulder will remain with me forever.” – Unknown
6. “Perhaps they are not stars in the sky, but rather openings where our loved ones shine down to let us know they are happy.” – Eskimo Proverb
7. “Say not in grief: ‘He is no more,’ but live in thankfulness that he was.” – Hebrew Proverb
8. “No matter how old we are, we still need our dads, and wonder how we’ll get by without them.” – Jennifer Williamson
9. “Although our lives’ journeys have bid us to be apart, I am with you, you are with me, always in our hearts.” – Carolyn Ferreira
11. “I believe that what we become depends on what our fathers teach us at odd moments, when they aren’t trying to teach us. We are formed by little scraps of wisdom.” – Umberto Eco
12. “There is no expiration date on the love between a father and his child.” – Jennifer Williamson
13. “You have been there for me, no matter what bad choices I might have made… you lovingly repaired my broken spirit, helped me plot a new course, and set me free to fly on my own once again. There is no greater love than that. You will always be special to me, and no matter where life takes me, I’ll remember you with love.” – Marilyn K. Deacon
15. “I love my father as the stars—he’s a bright shining example and a happy twinkling in my heart.” – Adabella Radici
16. “He didn’t tell me how to live; he lived, and let me watch him do it.” – Clarence Budington Kelland
17. “May each tear and each fond memory be a note of love rising to meet you.” – Jennifer Williamson
18. “You will always be in my heart… because in there you’re still alive.” – Jamie Cirello
20. “When my father didn’t have my hand, he had my back.” – Linda Poindexter
21. “A father is neither an anchor to hold us back, nor a sail to take us there, but a guiding light whose love shows us the way.” – Unknown
22. “Deeply, I know this, that love triumphs over death. My father continues to be loved, and therefore he remains by my side.” – Jennifer Williamson
Please share your favorite Father’s Day quotes, loving thoughts and memories of the man you love, healing words that might help someone else, or any stories with me in the comments.
Please share this with someone who may need the love that’s present in these words.
Keep smiling, because you are never alone in your thoughts or your journey, even when it feels like you’re walking all by yourself. There is love for you, everywhere, in everything.
With so much love,