Not merely quotes about growing through the struggles—these are condensed morsels of wisdom to refer to whenever you feel lost, unsure, defeated, or just plain frustrated with how the journey is going. Even if you feel good with where you’re at, it’s humbling to remember that life is always working on something new.
“Everything has changed and yet, I am more me than I’ve ever been.” — Iain Thomas
The only sure place to be standing, I think, is on the path with no end in sight.
Change is a must. Hardship is likely. Growth, on the other hand, is not a given. It’s highly dependent on the practices and habits we deploy before, during, and after a moment of trial.
Growth tends not to be comfortable, either, but comfort, though nice, isn’t usually where we find the true gems of being alive.
Discomfort will lead us to inward explorations if we give ourselves the chance to stay and listen to what’s showing up. That’s like mining for something worthwhile. Avoiding what hurts or treating the pain without working through the problem, on the other hand, oft leads to a more deeply rooted problem.
We can grow if we practice the courage that takes.
In all of the trouble and struggle that’s involved in walking an uneven path, there is still a chance you’ll discover something worthwhile along the way—whether you find meaning in something, or you give meaning to something.
Wherever we’re standing, on dirt or concrete, on top of a hill or in a valley, there is room for movement.
With intention and compassion, we can treat our problems as though they are messengers calling us to change. Trying on a different perspective, we might even see that we’re being ushered into a more authentic way of life, one that’s more reflective of how we really feel and really want to feel.
Visualizing how you want to feel and how you want to live, by the way, is a helpful practice in conscious transformation.
Keep these quotes about growing tucked away for a rainy day, or—probably even better—keep your favorites close by on sunny days too. Growth is what happens when we practice courage-building habits before growth is necessary.
12 Quotes about Growing Through the Journey
1. “Stepping onto a brand-new path is difficult, but not more difficult than remaining in a situation, which is not nurturing the whole woman.” — Maya Angelou
2. “Even when you don’t feel like it, keep going. You never know who you impact with your love.” — Carrie Usmar
3. “You do not need to know precisely what is happening, or exactly where it is all going. What you need is to recognize the possibilities and challenges offered by the present moment, and to embrace them with courage, faith, and hope.” — Thomas Merton
4. “Optimism is a strategy for making a better future. Because unless you believe that the future can be better, you are unlikely to step up and take responsibility for making it so.” — Noam Chomsky“Life is about change. Sometimes it’s painful. Sometimes it’s beautiful. But most of the time, it’s both.” — Lana Lang tweet this
6. “For the seed to achieve its greatest expression, it must come completely undone. The shell cracks, its insides come out, and everything changes. To someone who doesn’t understand growth, it would look like a complete destruction.” — Cynthia Occelli
7. “In order to move on, you must understand why you felt what you did and why you no longer need to feel it.” — Mitch Albom
8. “The most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity, and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, and a deep loving concern. Beautiful people do not just happen.” — Elizabeth Kübler-Ross“Hard times arouse an instinctive desire for authenticity.” — Coco Chanel tweet this
10. “Allow for the unexpected. It’s not being foolish. It’s being humble that you can’t predict all.” — Nataly Kogan
11. “Normality is a paved road: It’s comfortable to walk, but no flowers grow on it.” — Vincent van Gogh
12. “To be interested in the changing seasons is a happier state of mind than to be hopelessly in love with spring.” — George Santayana
What’s one challenge that you’ve grown stronger from or gone deeper inward because of? Get specific.
Share any stories of a comeback or authentic growth, and any words of advice you’d offer someone else (or your younger self) with me in the comments.
Share these quotes about growing with a fellow survivor/dreamer/optimist/lover of life.
Practice courage when you don’t need it; that’s the key to having it when you do need it.