Simply put, these Brené Brown quotes are an homage to this woman’s legendary work and unwavering dedication to making the world a brighter (and braver) place for so many people.
“How do we learn to embrace our vulnerabilities and imperfections so that we can engage in our lives from a place of authenticity and worthiness? How do we cultivate the courage, compassion, and connection that we need to recognize that we are enough – that we are worthy of love, belonging, and joy?”
These questions have been the longtime focal point of Brené’s work as both a researcher and a storyteller.
Dr. Brené Brown is a research professor at the University of Houston and the author of three #1 New York Times bestsellers; her next book (Braving the Wilderness: The Quest for True Belonging and The Courage to Stand Alone) will be released Fall 2017.
She has spent the past sixteen years studying courage, vulnerability, shame, and empathy, and she is truly creating a global conversation on these important topics.
As she states on her website: “After fifteen years of social work education, I was sure of one thing: Connection is why we’re here; it is what gives purpose and meaning to our lives.”
She is also creating powerful change around the world with The Daring Way™ methodology and BRAVE LEADERS INC, helping develop shame resilience skills in individuals and groups, and courage building skills in teams and leaders, respectively.
If you haven’t listened to her infamous TED talk, The Power of Vulnerability, it’s worth the listen (about 30 million other people think so, too). This video really helps you understand a few key ideas that underpin Brené’s work, as well as the quotes you’re about to read.I think it's okay to feel vulnerable; it means I'm alive. Click To Tweet
I hope these brilliant Brené Brown quotes inspire you, too, to let yourself be seen, to love with your whole heart even though there’s no guarantee, to be kind to yourself and then to others, to practice gratitude and joy in moments of terror, and to believe that you’re enough.
For me, the following 25 Brené Brown quotes are like a warm hug from my own heart, and whispers from my soul.
25 Brené Brown Quotes That Speak to and from the Heart
1. “When we work from a place, I believe, that says ‘I’m enough,’ then we stop screaming and start listening, we’re kinder and gentler to the people around us, and we’re kinder and gentler to ourselves.” – Brené Brown
2. “Those who have a strong sense of love and belonging have the courage to be imperfect.” – Brené Brown
3. “Daring to set boundaries is about having the courage to love ourselves even when we risk disappointing others.” – Brené Brown
4. “Imperfections are not inadequacies; they are reminders that we’re all in this together.” – Brené Brown
5. “Authenticity is the daily practice of letting go of who we think we’re supposed to be and embracing who we are.” – Brené Brown“We don’t have to do all of it alone. We were never meant to.” – Brené Brown Click To Tweet
7. “If you can’t ask for help without self-judgment, you cannot offer help without judging others.” – Brené Brown
8. “Our job is not to deny the story, but to defy the ending—to rise strong, recognize our story, and rumble with the truth until we get to a place where we think, Yes. This is what happened. And I will choose how the story ends.” – Brené Brown
9. “I believe that what we regret most are our failures of courage, whether it’s the courage to be kinder, to show up, to say how we feel, to set boundaries, to be good to ourselves. For that reason, regret can be the birthplace of empathy.” – Brené Brown
10. “Empathy has no script. There is no right way or wrong way to do it. It’s simply listening, holding space, withholding judgment, emotionally connecting, and communicating that incredibly healing message of ‘You’re not alone.’” – Brené Brown“In order for connection to happen, we have to allow ourselves to be seen.” – Brené Brown Click To Tweet
12. “Courage is contagious. A critical mass of brave leaders is the foundation of an intentionally courageous culture. Every time we are brave with our lives, we make the people around us a little braver and our organizations bolder and stronger.” – Brené Brown
13. “We run from grief because loss scares us, yet our hearts reach toward grief because the broken parts want to mend.” – Brené Brown
14. “I thought faith would say, ‘I’ll take away the pain and discomfort,’ but what it ended up saying was, ‘I’ll sit with you in it.’” – Brené Brown
15. “Owning our story can be hard but not nearly as difficult as spending our lives running from it. Embracing our vulnerabilities is risky but not nearly as dangerous as giving up on love and belonging and joy—the experiences that make us the most vulnerable. Only when we are brave enough to explore the darkness will we discover the infinite power of our light.” – Brené Brown“What we know matters but who we are matters more.” – Brené Brown Click To Tweet
17. “Joy comes to us in ordinary moments. We risk missing out when we get too busy chasing down the extraordinary.” – Brené Brown
18. “Authenticity is a collection of choices that we have to make every day. It’s about the choice to show up and be real. The choice to be honest. The choice to let our true selves be seen.” – Brené Brown
19. “Vulnerability sounds like truth and feels like courage. Truth and courage aren’t always comfortable, but they’re never weakness.” – Brené Brown
20. “The truth is: Belonging starts with self-acceptance. Your level of belonging, in fact, can never be greater than your level of self-acceptance, because believing that you’re enough is what gives you the courage to be authentic, vulnerable and imperfect.” – Brené Brown“What we don’t need in the midst of struggle is shame for being human.” – Brené Brown Click To Tweet
22. “As it turns out, we can’t practice compassion with other people if we can’t treat ourselves kindly.” – Brené Brown
23. “The irony is that we attempt to disown our difficult stories to appear more whole or more acceptable, but our wholeness—even our whole-heartedness—actually depends on the integration of all of our experiences, including the falls.” – Brené Brown
24. “Shame hates it when we reach out and tell our story. It hates having words wrapped around it—it can’t survive being shared. Shame loves secrecy. When we bury our story, the shame metastasizes.” – Brené Brown
25. “Joy is as thorny and sharp as any of the dark emotions. To love someone fiercely, to believe in something with your whole heart, to celebrate a fleeting moment in time, to fully engage in a life that doesn’t come with guarantees—these are the risks that involve vulnerability and often pain.” – Brené Brown
Go to Brené’s website for some awesome 8×10 posters (on rising strong, wholehearted parenting, and daring greatly) for free download.
Please share your favorite Brené Brown quotes, what you love most about her work, how you’re working through the struggle of being human, and any helpful or hopeful stories with me in the comments.
Share these quotes with someone who would truly appreciate Brené’s messages.
I wish you the willingness to breathe through the wait, to invest in something that matters that may or may not work out, to say “I love you” first, to ask for help, to contemplate the mystery without making the uncertain certain, to feel what you’re feeling, and to acknowledge your profound effect on other people.
Free digital paper by Free Pretty Things For You; lettering by Aim Happy.