As the trees begin to discard their masks and lay them gently upon the earth, take this opportunity to invite wonder back into your life. The birth of each new season greets us with an opportunity to witness how beautiful change can be–these autumn quotes serve as an ode to one of the most colorful rendezvous of all.
“Don’t hold together what must fall apart. The familiar life crumbles so the new life can begin.” – Bryant McGill
Never get too busy to notice the changing leaves. Always remember to gaze in appreciation at Mother Nature’s painting in the sky and her trail of color along the earth. Fall in love with the diamonds of light that peak through bare branches, and let it fill you with delight.
The rustling leaves and the crisp breeze remind us of this: All which we have loved is here, whispering in our ear.
In fact, the falling leaves might have some powerful lessons to teach us, if we were open to them.
A tribute to autumn’s splendor would not be complete without Robert Frost’s revered poem, “The Road Not Taken.”
Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;
Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had word them really about the same,
And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I–
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
There’s something magical about autumn, because it wakes up the senses and reminds us to live. To honor this magic, pause and celebrate it: Listen to the breeze, watch the air wild with leaves, feel the spirit of the season living through you, and make space to enjoy this time.
May this collection of autumn quotes inspire the light in your heart to come out and play.
26 Autumn Quotes to Celebrate the Magic
1. “There is something incredibly nostalgic and significant about the annual cascade of autumn leaves.” – Joe L. Wheeler
2. “And suddenly you know: It’s time to start something new and trust the magic of beginnings.” – Meister Eckhart
3. “There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning.” – Louis L’Amour
5. “I see the turning of a leaf dancing in the autumn sun, and brilliant shades of crimson glowing when the day is done.” – Hazelmarie Mattie Elliott
6. “Just before the death of flowers, and before they are buried in snow, there comes a festival season when nature is aglow.” – Unknown
7. “Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns.” – George Elliot
9. “Autumn is an artist who uses an oak leaf on which to paint a masterpiece.” – William Allen Ward
10. “Dancing of the autumn leaves on the surface of a lake is a dream we see when we are awake!” – Mehmet Murat Ildan
11. “Inside of us, there’s a continual autumn. Our leaves fall and are blown out over the water.” – Rumi
13. “Winter is an etching, spring a watercolor, summer an oil painting, and autumn a mosaic of them all.” – Stanley Horowitz
14. “Though a tree grow ever so high, the falling leaves return to the root.” – Malay proverb
15. “Autumn carries more gold in its pocket than all the other seasons.” – Jim Bishop
17. “The tints of autumn… a mighty flower garden blossoming under the spell of the enchanter, Frost.” – John Greenleaf Whittier
18. “Anyone who thinks fallen leaves are dead has never watched them dancing on a windy day.” – Shira Tamir
19. “Fall has always been my favorite season. The time when everything bursts with its last beauty, as if nature had been saving up all year for the grand finale.” – Lauren DeStefano
21. “Autumn is the eternal corrective. It is ripeness and color and a time of completion; but it is also breadth, and depth, and distance. What man can stand with Autumn on a hilltop and fail to see the span of his world and the substance of the rolling hills that reach to the far horizon?” – Hal Borland
22. “Autumn is the hush before winter.” – French proverb
23. “Autumn that year painted the countryside in vivid shades of scarlet, saffron and russet, and the days were clear and crisp under harvest skies.” – Sharon Kay Penman
25. “How beautifully leaves grow old. How full of light and color are their last days.” – John Burroughs
26. “October is the fallen leaf, but it is also a wider horizon more clearly seen. It is the distant hills once more in sight, and the enduring constellations above them once again.” – Hal Borland
- Which of these autumn quotes do you enjoy the most?
- What do you love about the changing seasons, or about this season in particular?
- What is it that inspires gratefulness in your heart?
Please share your own favorite quotes, thoughts, insights, lessons, and relevant experiences with me in the comments.
Share these autumn quotes with someone who loves this time of year.
If nothing ever changed, there would be no pumpkins.