Living authentically in a world that’s so focused on exteriors is more than a courageous stance: It’s a real chance, a chance to really live. I gathered these authenticity quotes with some discernment, so that they would truthfully reflect my heartfelt desires to live a life that feels right for me, right now. May they speak to you on that same level of what’s right for you, right now.
“If you are comfortable in your home, everyone else will be too. That sense of authenticity is what gives a home its soul.” — Courtnay Daniels Haden
I’ve spent most of my life uncomfortable in my home (home being my body, my image, my sense of self, my expression); somehow, I don’t think I’m the only one who has ever understood that core discomfort. It’s not always easy to express yourself in a judgmental world, which is just indicative of how essential a lesson it is for us to practice.
If we keep searching for everything that’s true in the world, we will eventually come to honor the truth so much that we become it.
Nothing can compensate for a lifestyle that isn’t reflective of who we feel ourselves to be inside; nothing but truth can heal falsehoods. Seeking the truth guarantees we’ll run into the falsehoods, which means we’ll find ourselves standing at the gates of what is true. Truth is what we’ll keep running straight into every time we play with our preferences and challenge the normalcy we see.
We need to be open with our beliefs if we want to find the truth. We need to be receptive to new ways of approaching ourselves and others if we’re ever going to get to the heart of who we all really are.Authenticity is what happens when our love of truth is more important than our need for approval. Click To Tweet
We’re going to keep growing, and we’re going to figure out things that we weren’t aware of back then. Behaviors may not feel so right anymore; where we used to be silent, now we speak up; where we used to be loud, we are now gentle. Habits and perspectives that once served our sense of self, we might find, actually covered up our individuality and real self.
Feeling the need to defend ourselves—our individuality, pride, sense of self, who we think we are—might just be cause enough to look more closely at what we’re defending. Does the truth require defense to be true? What are we defending, and can we open up the space so that we don’t need to defend what we know in our heart is true, at least true for us, right now?
Within each of these authenticity quotes lies a morsel of truth that I think we can all relate to. It’s a truth we must each discover for ourselves.
20 Authenticity Quotes to Rekindle the Flame Inside
1. “When she transformed into a butterfly, the caterpillars spoke not of her beauty, but of her weirdness. They wanted her to change back into what she always had been. But she had wings.” — Dean Jackson
2. “Authenticity is when you say and do the things you actually believe.” — Simon Sinek
3. “If you trade your authenticity for safety, you may experience the following: anxiety, depression, eating disorders, addiction, rage, blame, resentment, and inexplicable grief.” — Brené Brown
4. “Many people think that being spiritual means being positive, but being spiritual means being conscious and aware. To become conscious is a much different thing than to become positive. To become conscious and aware, we must become authentic. Authenticity includes both positive and negative.” — Teal Swan“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.” — Maya Angelou Click To Tweet
6. “Being authentic will radiate more pure energy than trying to be an ideal you.” — Christina Lonsdale
7. “There is absolutely nothing in this world more irresistible than a person who inspires by simply wearing their soul on their sleeve.” — Christopher Poindexter
8. “There’s a difference between caring about what others think and worrying about it. When you care about what other people think, you respect and value their opinion. When you worry about it, you depend on their validation for your worth. So keep caring. Keep treating people like they matter. Just know that you matter too, whether they confirm it or not.” — Lori Deschene
9. “A woman in harmony with her spirit is like a river flowing. She goes where she will without pretense and arrives at her destination prepared to be herself and only herself.” — Maya Angelou“Everything shifts when you come into harmony with yourself.” — Panache Desai Click To Tweet
11. “To become authentic, to be a true individual, we require a thirst for freedom, freedom from the unwise, from psychological traumas, from self-pity, from self-preserving fearful ideas, from primitive instinctual behavior, and from dogmatic beliefs, ideals and values that have been taught to us throughout our entire lives.” — Mateo Sol
12. “Authenticity is the daily practice of letting go of who we think we’re supposed to be and embracing who we are.” — Brené Brown
13. “What makes you vulnerable makes you beautiful. There’s a word for it… Authentic.” — Tim Brown
14. “It doesn’t matter what everyone else is wearing or eating or watching or buying. Be yourself.” — Joshua Becker“In a world where everyone wears a mask, it’s a privilege to see a soul.” — Unknown Click To Tweet
16. “I don’t want to cover up anymore. Not my face, not my mind, not my soul, not my thoughts, not my dreams, not my struggles, not my emotional growth. Nothing.” — Alicia Keys
17. “Be confused, it’s where you begin to learn new things. Be broken, it’s where you begin to heal. Be frustrated, it’s where you start to make more authentic decisions. Be sad, because if we are brave enough we can hear our heart’s wisdom through it. Be whatever you are right now. No more hiding. You are worthy, always.” — S. C. Lourie
18. “Have you ever watched someone truly be their authentic self? Wow. What a rare beautiful exotic trip.” — Unknown
19. “You know how every once in a while you do something and the little voice inside says, ‘There. That’s it. That’s why you’re here.’ … and you get a warm glow in your heart because you know it’s true? Do more of that.” — Jacob Nordby
20. “This is perhaps the greatest risk any of us will take, to be seen as we truly are.” — Fairy Godmother, Cinderella
- If you could offer one piece of advice regarding honoring your own inner truth, what would it be? (Asking for a friend.)
- In your travels, what beliefs have you dropped because they didn’t continue to reflect how you felt inside?
- Think of something that was right for you, then, that isn’t right for you right now (perhaps a behavior or habit, a boldness or silence, a way of approaching yourself or others). In its place, what have you come to find is right for you, today? In other words, how have you grown?
Please share your favorite authenticity quotes, any personal truths in particular that you’ve come to honor, how you stay true, on a daily basis, to who you feel yourself to be, and any enlightening moments or inspiring stories with me in the comments.
Set someone else’s truth on fire; share these authenticity quotes with a fellow human worthy of living in their own light.
Ask yourself what it is that makes you come alive, and give it the space to breathe, because the world is desperate more people who are living in their own light.